Met Gomez tonight

NYCdevil

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:noclue: Why?

I mean, Weeksey and Rachunek were Rags (obviously not to the extend of Gomer was for you, but Rafalksi wasn't a Devil for a long period, either) and I really have no animosity for the two.

I don't know. I mean, it would pain me (considering being a fan of the Rangers) to lose Avery. He's expecting the big bucks, and I don't think he's worth it. Regardless or not what you think of him is irrelevent. The truth of the matter he is - for whatever reason - a positive catalyst for this team. With that being said, if he decides to leave (especially for the isles, flyers, or devs!) I would loathe "the player." But Avery as a person? It's all business, and I would hold no animosity towards the guy.

As someone previously said, this is all business for them. Sure they probably like speciifc teams, etc. but if they don't feel they're not getting what they deserve, then they're going to leave. This is a job for them.

i would say avery is a bad example because he wasn't a lifelong ranger. he played for DET and LA before becoming a ranger, and he's only been there 2 seasons now. the only players this would apply to are guys who the devils drafted and came up through our system. i don't care if any player leaves the devils for more cash. at a certain point in their career it's their rite to do that, and if the devils aren't willing to pay them what someone else is, then they should go and get paid. like i said i wish rafalski all the best. but i won't forgive a player going to our hated rival, and then acting like it was something he always wanted to do. so f*** gomez. f*** holik too. it makes me happy knowing that a$$hole is going to be missing the playoffs again.

:noclue: Why?

I mean, Weeksey and Rachunek were Rags (obviously not to the extend of Gomer was for you, but Rafalksi wasn't a Devil for a long period, either) and I really have no animosity for the two.

I guess Gomez wasn't a Devil for a long period either since he, Rafalski, Madden, White all started playing for the Devils in the 2000 season. To answer your question Rafalski would have been booed if he intentionally went to the Rangers.

Edited by Rock

I suppose so. But I remember Leetch coming into the Garden as an opponent and hearing his name being cheered the entire 3rd period. Everytime he touched the puck, the crowd would cheer.

Yeah, but Leetch was traded, so that's a totally different situation. If, for example, Niedermayer got traded and came with his new team to New Jersey, no one would be booing him I guess.

Just out of curiousity, what if Rafalksi (hypothetically speaking) ended up becoming a Ranger? Would you guys still like him?

I'd hate him just like any other traitor. Remember even Johhny Mac got booed.

Let's face it: Rachunek and Weekes are minor players. And the Rangers didn't want to re-sign them AFAIK. What is more, they weren't REAL Rangers, they played in New York for a couple of seasons. It's like, if Brookbank signs with the Rangers this summer, no one's gonna give a damn about it. But if a player, who was drafted by the Devils, won the Stanley Cup twice with New Jersey, even won the Calder Trophy and was a part (quite an important one lately) of the team trades the Devils for their most bitter rivals, earning fricking lots of money... he's dead to the fans.

As someone previously said, this is all business for them. Sure they probably like speciifc teams, etc. but if they don't feel they're not getting what they deserve, then they're going to leave. This is a job for them.

You know, there are different types of players. There are those who call it business - they are usually greedy, only care about $$$ and they will sell their teammates, coaches and fans if they only get a chance of signing a huge contract. See: Holik, Bobby; Gomez, Scott.

And then there are the real passionate hockey players, who love the sport and their team, have lots of respect for their mates and fans and everyone in the organization who did much good for them during their whole career. These will never betray the franchise for money. They don't have to finish their career in the same team, but if they do leave, they choose a non-rival club, staying classy. See: Stevens, Scott; Daneyko, Ken; Brodeur, Martin.

Loyalty doesn't exist in our world too much anymore. And tradition is taking a back seat too....It's sad.

More reason to like this team. Its very traditional, and there are some loyal guys here. Marty could have banked HUGE after this season had he not signed that extension a couple of years ago. The guy could have gotten max salary from most any team in the league, but he stayed her for 5.2 a year. Granted, thats a lot of money, but he could have doubled it.

I can see him being upset when he does that to help bring another cup to Jersey and a guy like Gomez signs for the big bucks from to the biggest rival this team has. Heck, the other team in the running for Gomez was Philly.

Oh and fan of the Rangers who wrote - FYI - Rafalski was on the team the same length of time as Gomez _ I thought I'd let someone else tell you that and post my funny instead -- but no one has so... Rafalski IMO was as much a life long Devil as Gomez.

Now - I personally think Holik is a more sad story than Gomez -- Holik wasn't being greedy as much as he was trying to be spiteful. His spite came back and bit him in the ass - the Rags turned him into a non-factor and The Devils won the Cup. 10 mm was the only bright spot. But for a lover of hockey it's not all that much consolation.

Gomez - he's just an idiot. What kind of MORON can't see through Holik's BS? Seriously - Gomez SERIOUSLY thinks Holik was happy there -- fool. I can just hear Holik stroking himself in front of Gomez - totally embellishing thinking "wow this is what it feels like to be a cool guy" as if he wasn't in it for the hockey? <_< and Gomez eating it all up with a spoon - :lol: what a jackass that kid is. (He will be a perpetual kid BTW - even when he's freaking fatassed and 50 with his $$ and self-indulgent "misery" - ick. I wonder how long before Pando snaps and tells him to get a feckin' LIFE already).

To me Gomez sounds sort of lonely now. He's making the best of it and it's what he wanted and all. I dislike him because he IS just in it for what it gives him. He's not a fan of hockey 1st and foremost. That's what makes me sad. Jagr, Holik - they all love hockey and feel all miserable when they can't get the Rag$ together. they feel responsible. Gomez feels ZERO accountability. He was miserable here because he was made to accept accountability. He hated that. Rag$ have ZERO accountability. He's all happy being glamourous and raking in the dough and putting up selfish good numbers. That's what it's all about for him. so hollow. Sure he feels a vague dissatisfaction - but he's too stupid to understand why.

SO - It's not that he's a Rag it's what brought him there. He's grossly shallow and to me it's a slap in the face to hockey more than to the Devils.

and Avery is going nowhere - where's he gonna go? Who's going to pay him? If it's not LA or NYC or Vancouver -- he won't go anywhere else for ANY amount of cash.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Oh and fan of the Rangers who wrote - FYI - Rafalski was on the team the same length of time as Gomez _ I thought I'd let someone else tell you that and post my funny instead -- but no one has so... Rafalski IMO was as much a life long Devil as Gomez.

Now - I personally think Holik is a more sad story than Gomez -- Holik wasn't being greedy as much as he was trying to be spiteful. His spite came back and bit him in the ass - the Rags turned him into a non-factor and The Devils won the Cup. 10 mm was the only bright spot. But for a lover of hockey it's not all that much consolation.

Gomez - he's just an idiot. What kind of MORON can't see through Holik's BS? Seriously - Gomez SERIOUSLY thinks Holik was happy there -- fool. I can just hear Holik stroking himself in front of Gomez - totally embellishing thinking "wow this is what it feels like to be a cool guy" as if he wasn't in it for the hockey? <_< and Gomez eating it all up with a spoon - :lol: what a jackass that kid is. (He will be a perpetual kid BTW - even when he's freaking fatassed and 50 with his $$ and self-indulgent "misery" - ick. I wonder how long before Pando snaps and tells him to get a feckin' LIFE already).

To me Gomez sounds sort of lonely now. He's making the best of it and it's what he wanted and all. I dislike him because he IS just in it for what it gives him. He's not a fan of hockey 1st and foremost. That's what makes me sad. Jagr, Holik - they all love hockey and feel all miserable when they can't get the Rag$ together. they feel responsible. Gomez feels ZERO accountability. He was miserable here because he was made to accept accountability. He hated that. Rag$ have ZERO accountability. He's all happy being glamourous and raking in the dough and putting up selfish good numbers. That's what it's all about for him. so hollow. Sure he feels a vague dissatisfaction - but he's too stupid to understand why.

SO - It's not that he's a Rag it's what brought him there. He's grossly shallow and to me it's a slap in the face to hockey more than to the Devils.

and Avery is going nowhere - where's he gonna go? Who's going to pay him? If it's not LA or NYC or Vancouver -- he won't go anywhere else for ANY amount of cash.

Wow! Great post!!

:clap2:

Gomer was one of my favorites so I still have a tiny bit of respect for the guy, he is very friendly and extremely funny, but he is still a jizzbucket. And I LOVE the fact that Marty wont speak to him. I absouletly LOVE it...that is some hardcore :koolaid: love right there

Edited by NJDevsFireOnIce

rev.gif Thank you.

even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes... :P I'm a basket case these days -- it's just going to get worse as playoffs near :saddevil:

I think many of us can be right with you and especially as the playoffs near. I am already there :P as there is 15 games to go for the Devils.

Actually, Gomez has been anything but an ego. Plus it seems as if he is enjoying it out there.

I don't understand what you mean by selfish numbers? So those who post up 100 points every year are selfish?

Look I understand you guys are pissed at Gomez for signing with us, heck I would be too if Brian Leetch signed with the Devilskirts. But please give credit where credit is due.

Edited by Rangerfan4life

As much as I'm not a fan of Gomez...

Let me state the obvious again:

If you stop for a second, forget about the sport, and think of it like a regular career move.

He made a business decision about his career for more $$$.

Do you really think most hockey players really care about team allegiance?

I, for one, think they make a point of "distancing" themselves from the game when not on the ice to keep sane.

I doubt he's up late at night traversing fan boards to see what fans think of him.

Most people would make the same decsion given the chance to make a "significant" amount of pay increse in their career. Ever think that maybe he's trying to set up his family for the long-term?

I'm not giving him a free pass, especially after the comments he made prior, but sometimes fans here have a hard time seeing players as "people" or anything less than their own personal pawn or "racehorse".

Should we have issues w/him as Devils fans? - Perectly legit.

But the "crush his head"..." and " I hope he dies panifully" overboard attitude is a little ridiculous in my humble opinion.

Let the backlash begin....

As much as I'm not a fan of Gomez...

Let me state the obvious again:

If you stop for a second, forget about the sport, and think of it like a regular career move.

He made a business decision about his career for more $$$.

Do you really think most hockey players really care about team allegiance?

I, for one, think they make a point of "distancing" themselves from the game when not on the ice to keep sane.

I doubt he's up late at night traversing fan boards to see what fans think of him.

Most people would make the same decsion given the chance to make a "significant" amount of pay increse in their career. Ever think that maybe he's trying to set up his family for the long-term?

I'm not giving him a free pass, especially after the comments he made prior, but sometimes fans here have a hard time seeing players as "people" or anything less than their own personal pawn or "racehorse".

Should we have issues w/him as Devils fans? - Perectly legit.

But the "crush his head"..." and " I hope he dies panifully" overboard attitude is a little ridiculous in my humble opinion.

Let the backlash begin....

I totally understand that it's a business. I also understand that the Rangers weren't the only team offering giant bags of cash for Gomer's services. He chose our biggest rival over any other team. He didn't move any closer to home, he didn't sign with his favorite team as a child, he didn't go to the team with the best shot at the Cup ... he went to our biggest rivals.

He's a piece of sh!t.

Vancouver? I thought he hates anything Canadian. That would be quite a disgrace for the team and its fans. if I was Canadian, I'd boo him everytime he's on the ice, just like Habs fans do (I'm not sure about fans of the rest of Canadian teams though) and I would never accept him as a member of my team (well, I hate him either way, so...).

Obviously, 5 milion USD barely lets one set up his family, average people make like 10M a year. :unsure:

A girl I am friends with met him (Gomez) in a doctors office a few years ago. She looked at him, did a double-take and said to him, "You look really familiar." She doesnt follow hockey. He played it off and was polite something like, "Not sure, maybe we have hung out in the same bars?" The she laughed and said, "Did I ever hook-up with you?" He laughed and said, "I don't think so. I'd definitely remember you then." About a month later she saw his picture in the 50 most eligible bachelors article, and nearly peed her pants laughing so hard. She said she also met Stevens in the same doctors office, but it was a little different. She noticed a picture of him with the Cup in the waiting room, then saw him. Looked at the pic, looked at him, pointed to the pic and asked, "Is that you? Are you famous?" He laughed and said, "Yeah, it's me. But I am not sure I qualify as 'famous.'"

Edited by Matteau#32

Vancouver? I thought he hates anything Canadian. That would be quite a disgrace for the team and its fans. if I was Canadian, I'd boo him everytime he's on the ice, just like Habs fans do (I'm not sure about fans of the rest of Canadian teams though) and I would never accept him as a member of my team (well, I hate him either way, so...).

Obviously, 5 milion USD barely lets one set up his family, average people make like 10M a year. :unsure:

If you wouldn't accept Avery, then you are a fool, but that argument has been had on this board. Seems like he is going to be a UFA come July 1st. Not what I really want. Hopefully he and Sather can work something out before it gets to that. Look at the Rangers record with him vs without him, and has scored a few big goals in the current 13-3-3 run the are on since January 20th.