Matteau defends his goalie

Matteau#32

So by this logic Lundqvist isn't so good then - this taken with your about how the Rangers need to play this style to win -- the shot blocking style is the thing....

I also think Richards is your only shooter who can actually be counted on to hit the net consistently.

But I've got to honest here.

No doubt Lundqvist is a nice solid goalie. Marty in his prime is better. It's a good match up. I like Marty's attitude and style of communication WAY better. But sh!t with Tortorella as coach who gives a chit about any one players attitude. and WITHOUT Torts :blink: my gosh... the Rangers are just so far off the hockey path it is too laugh!

So all in all -- I'm really happy for Rangers fans (and the NHL) that they finally have a solid franchise player and a coach who understands hockey. But they are no Lou Lams Devils. Rangers situation is very tenuous and you should enjoy it while you've got it. You don't have to polish a turd for once probably in your entire (hockey fan) life time dude!!! You've got a little something going and I'm actually pretty happy for you -- and myself because I don't have to watch the crap MSG is usually serving.

No, because he was a 4 or 5-time vezina finalist before this system. I have been a rangers fan since 1984ish, so have seen some good teams and some lousy teams. Rangers have a good young core and are going to get better. They are the 3rd or 4th youngest team in the league and for once their young players are actually good. McDonagh and Hagelin are 22. Staal is 23 or 24, Girardi, off the top of my head, i think is 26. Kreider just turned 21. Cally and Dubi are 25 or 26. Sauer (hopefully he can come back) is young. Richards is only 31 and Gaborik is 31 (i think). Lundqvist is 30, but doesnt have as much mileage as your typical 30-year old as he didnt come to North America until he was 24, from 18-24 he was playing those shorter Eurpean seasons.

No it won't. But, I can understand your concern as we do live in an age of over-reaction. Rupp gave Marty a shot which was no worse than what Kovalchuck did to Callahan. Again, I said when they are out of the net playing the puck. I do not mean a play where they are just outside their crease and they are freezing a puck. Meant more so when they go skating after a puck to play it to their defensemen.

Kovy and Cally gave as good as they each got, what's your excuse for Rupp? Marty hurt him with his words so he deserved to get punched?

And good, I was worried that you were going to come up with a vague and shades of gray definition of when a goalie is fair game, but you have made it clear with this "just outside the crease but not too far outside" or "when they go skating". That would never be subject to interpretation or abuse.

If their goalie was Bryzgalov, they wouldn't be playing this style.

You'd be playing even more defense? How is that possible?

Or do you mean run and gun and hope to score the 7th goal in a 7-6 affair?

Goalies are always off limits. Doesn't matter who it is, you don't sucker a goalie, nevermind an unsuspecting player away from the puck...after the whistle is blown to boot.

I still haven't seen it. Went to that silly viewing party at MSG(had to be in city til about 7:30 last night, so figured I'd check it out rather than miss the first period). After the Parise goal, I took off. The Rupp incident happened while I was walking to my car.

You'd be playing even more defense? How is that possible?

Or do you mean run and gun and hope to score the 7th goal in a 7-6 affair?

the latter. They would have to build a team like what the Flyers/Penguins have and try to outscore everyone. Of course, Bryz was at one time good, so it could be the Flyers that have made him bad. Wouldn't be the first time a goalie was done in by the city of Philadelphia.

No, because he was a 4 or 5-time vezina finalist before this system. I have been a rangers fan since 1984ish, so have seen some good teams and some lousy teams. Rangers have a good young core and are going to get better. They are the 3rd or 4th youngest team in the league and for once their young players are actually good. McDonagh and Hagelin are 22. Staal is 23 or 24, Girardi, off the top of my head, i think is 26. Kreider just turned 21. Cally and Dubi are 25 or 26. Sauer (hopefully he can come back) is young. Richards is only 31 and Gaborik is 31 (i think). Lundqvist is 30, but doesnt have as much mileage as your typical 30-year old as he didnt come to North America until he was 24, from 18-24 he was playing those shorter Eurpean seasons.

Old habits die hard, I see. But what the heck, polish away :evil:

I still haven't seen it. Went to that silly viewing party at MSG(had to be in city til about 7:30 last night, so figured I'd check it out rather than miss the first period). After the Parise goal, I took off. The Rupp incident happened while I was walking to my car.

Rupp gave Marty a shot which was no worse than what Kovalchuck did to Callahan.

:troll1:

Rupp is a no talent dick who is still bitter with the Devils for cutting his terrible ass.

And he's the perfect cypher for a John Tortorella team: a combination of no offensive ability andl bush league tactics.

Edited to add: The NHL should punish the Rangers for Rupp's sucker punch by making him play on Wedmesday. More minutes, if at all possible.

Edited by Risky
  • Like 1

Kovy and Cally gave as good as they each got, what's your excuse for Rupp? Marty hurt him with his words so he deserved to get punched?

And good, I was worried that you were going to come up with a vague and shades of gray definition of when a goalie is fair game, but you have made it clear with this "just outside the crease but not too far outside" or "when they go skating". That would never be subject to interpretation or abuse.

Basically, puck is dumped in and the goalie goes to the corner to play it. MOST of the time, he can get it to his defenseman without an opponent. Sometimes the opponent is able to get to the goalie and try to play the puck or knock the puck off the goalies stick. Well, if he is out in the corner, he should be able to get hit, just like any other player. Would make them be more careful about when to go out. If they were to ever do it, the league would have to put out a video of plays to show when it is ok. NFL and NCAA do it all the time with things like roughing the QB, hitting a defenseless receiver.

marty is not only a goalie but a 3rd D-man behind the net. he has consistantly thwarted the forecheck BEFORE IT HAPPENS. he has his brain cramps like any quality defenseman, but he's typically cool as a cucumber even with two forwards bearing down on him. these 3 series have really spotlighted his talents

So I guess this...

Rupp gave Marty a shot which was no worse than what Kovalchuck did to Callahan.

was you just talking out of your ass then?

Here:

Now you have seen it. Let me know how ok you are with Clarkson taking that kind of swing at your goalie.

Edited by squishyx
  • Like 1

Ban this fvcking Matteau#32 guy. What is a Rags worshipper doing in devils fan forum? Is he a secret admirer of Devils or what? Defend your territory guys. Just kick him out.

haha, too funny. Here we go again, but this time the guy only has 2 posts. This obviously HAS to be someone's dual ID. This clown even pm'd me.

So I guess this...

was you just talking out of your ass then?

Here:

Now you have seen it. Let me know how ok you are with Clarkson taking that kind of swing at your goalie.

can't watch. you tube blocked.

Ban this fvcking Matteau#32 guy. What is a Rags worshipper doing in devils fan forum? Is he a secret admirer of Devils or what? Defend your territory guys. Just kick him out.

Are joking? I'm guessing you're Rangers fan yourself, trying to make the board look bad. <_<

This board has a really good time discussing HOCKEY with fans all over the league. That's why it's called HELL. It was named that because EVERYONE is allowed to post here. We used to have a nancy Devils only board for people who didn't want any to hear any dissension in the ranks. It was such dagnab boring board it got axed.

Basically, puck is dumped in and the goalie goes to the corner to play it. MOST of the time, he can get it to his defenseman without an opponent. Sometimes the opponent is able to get to the goalie and try to play the puck or knock the puck off the goalies stick. Well, if he is out in the corner, he should be able to get hit, just like any other player. Would make them be more careful about when to go out. If they were to ever do it, the league would have to put out a video of plays to show when it is ok. NFL and NCAA do it all the time with things like roughing the QB, hitting a defenseless receiver.

Those are players who take hits on a regular basis and wear the appropriate equipment. And in case you have been living under a rock for the last 10 years the NFL has been going extra miles to protect quarterbacks, kickers and defenseless receivers from the hits you are talking about because it's bad for the player and bad for the game when they get knocked out for a season.

Goalies already need to be careful, they are vacating their net. That's the risk, giving up an empty net goal to a strong forechecking team if you are sloppy. You don't need to paint giant red target symbols on them to have some kind of weird punishment to deter them from doing so.

Edited by squishyx

How can anyone not think I'm hysterical? In threads like these I feel like I'm stroking myself -- I guess 'cause I am! I had the most classic exchange with Matteau and it gets lost in the shuffle. And with that I'll go back to work.. err -- rather I will resume my labours with an improved opinion of myself :giggle:

You know what Matteau bitch? You are a secret admirer. Like other Rags fans, you envy Devils' accomplishments over your pathetic team for 30 years and you act like you hate devils but actually, deep down you like them. Maybe, you even hate your loser gay team because you know Rangers are one of the most hated, if not the most, NHL franchises unlike Devils. Go post here and masturbate while replying devils fans in this forum with your bullsh!t. I am not gonna even respond to you again. I thought that this forum is a classy and quality Devils forum where I would like to read opinions of other Devils fans like me but I think I am wrong. Wherever I go, these stupid rags fans appear even here. Just show your quality and ban this guy. He is ENEMY...

Hahaha -- you know what I see in your future twista?

ban.gif

take it down a notch, little fella.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Those are players who take hits on a regular basis and wear the appropriate equipment. And in case you have been living under a rock for the last 10 years the NFL has been going extra miles to protect quarterbacks, kickers and defenseless receivers from the hits you are talking about because it's bad for the player and bad for the game when they get knocked out for a season.

Goalies already need to be careful, they are vacating their net. That's the risk, giving up an empty net goal to a strong forechecking team if you are sloppy. You don't need to paint giant red target symbols on them to have some kind of weird punishment to deter them from doing so.

That wasn't my point on the NFL. What I was saying is they put together videos of actual plays and explain whether it should or should not have been called for roughing the passer or defenseless reciever, or whatever the case may be. I know, because I have seen many of these videos. I ref semi-pro football, we use NFL rules and members of my group are friends with current nfl officials who will bring the videos to our meetings/training sessions. Point is, IF the NHL ever decided to make the goalie fair game when they leave the crease, they would have to do the same to show when it is ok to hit him and when it is not. Like I said earlier, doubt it becomes open-season on the goalies. Coaches would fear retribution if teams started to really light up the opposing goalie.

You know what Matteau bitch? You are a secret admirer. Like other Rags fans, you envy Devils' accomplishments over your pathetic team for 30 years and you act like you hate devils but actually, deep down you like them. Maybe, you even hate your loser gay team because you know Rangers are one of the most hated, if not the most, NHL franchises unlike Devils. Go post here and masturbate while replying devils fans in this forum with your bullsh!t. I am not gonna even respond to you again. I thought that this forum is a classy and quality Devils forum where I would like to read opinions of other Devils fans like me but I think I am wrong. Wherever I go, these stupid rags fans appear even here. Just show your quality and ban this guy. He is ENEMY...

I really wonder which team is the most hated. Wasn't there a poll a few years ago on this? I could swear there was and the Flyers were in the top 3.

Maybe, you even hate your loser gay team because you know Rangers are one of the most hated...

Okay, pal, this is where I draw the line.

If the Rangers want to be gay, that's nobody's business but their own.

If they want to celebrate each win by getting naked, oiling up and having a congo line through the locker room, that's up to them.

If they want to spend off-seasons in Key West, Fire Island or San Francisco, I say....good for 'em!

If they want to see how far they can get a lubed hockey stick up...ya know...that does not concern you!

New York Rangers...I may hate you for what you do on the ice...but I support you in your fight against homophobia.

BE PROUD TO BE GAY!

[waves rainbow flag]

That wasn't my point on the NFL. What I was saying is they put together videos of actual plays and explain whether it should or should not have been called for roughing the passer or defenseless reciever, or whatever the case may be. I know, because I have seen many of these videos. I ref semi-pro football, we use NFL rules and members of my group are friends with current nfl officials who will bring the videos to our meetings/training sessions. Point is, IF the NHL ever decided to make the goalie fair game when they leave the crease, they would have to do the same to show when it is ok to hit him and when it is not. Like I said earlier, doubt it becomes open-season on the goalies. Coaches would fear retribution if teams started to really light up the opposing goalie.

Why even bother making goalies fair game to run? What is the possible benefit? As a "semi-pro" ref you should be ashamed that you are suggesting such a change that will obviously be exploited. "Oh we are just going to make this rule, then make videos to explain how to properly use apply it, and then act in horror when people abuse it to take some goalies head off in a moment of frustration derp derp".

haha, too funny. Here we go again, but this time the guy only has 2 posts. This obviously HAS to be someone's dual ID. This clown even pm'd me.

can't watch. you tube blocked.

Just to go on record, it isn't me. At least I have the decency to tell you what I think straight from my normal name :P

Edited by Satans Hockey

If they want to celebrate each win by getting naked, oiling up and having a congo line through the locker room, that's up to them.

If they want to spend off-seasons in Key West, Fire Island or San Francisco, I say....good for 'em!

If they want to see how far they can get a lubed hockey stick up...ya know...that does not concern you!

New York Rangers...I may hate you for what you do on the ice...but I support you in your fight against homophobia.

BE PROUD TO BE GAY!

[waves rainbow flag]

im not getting involved in this topic...

i just came to say... that this is one hilarious post and you sir deserve 10000000 Internets and several hugs (and maybe some pudding)

• Like 1

BE PROUD TO BE GAY!

[waves rainbow flag]

"Joey... do you like... movies about gladiators?"

• Like 1

Lunqvist is the reason the Rangers are where they are. Without him, they'd be a marginal playoff team. I hate him, and everyone who wears that uniform, but he's been the best in the league this year.

And yes, contract issues aside, you trade Marty for Lunqvist straight up in that alternative universe.

When discussing whether or not goalies should be allowed to be hit, it's important to understand that their equipment is designed to prevent injury from being hit with pucks, not to resist against bodychecks. I thought it was fine the way it was. No need for the trapezoid, no need to let them get run over.