Time to wave the white flag?

snartly

It may be a stupid question, but with the luck we are having, and with the results recently, maybe we should play for the better draft pick. Hate or not, this looks like a pretty deep draft, so maybe getting a star player at #5 would be better for the team in the future.

Thoughts?

The Isles own the tiebreaker. We need to win more or get more points in order to pass them.

It's like that with every team we're chasing. Our inability to win in Regulation or OT this year is what is killing our playoff chances. Giving points away and also going to SOs forced us to have 1 more point than anyone we're chasing/can catch.

Here's a positive: We are chasing the Islanders...the fish sticks. Tavares or not, they are still capable of stinking it up for many games in a stretch as they have for the past twenty years. I think theyll come down from their hot streak soon.

Here's a positive: We are chasing the Islanders...the fish sticks. Tavares or not, they are still capable of stinking it up for many games in a stretch as they have for the past twenty years. I think theyll come down from their hot streak soon.

By the same token, our cold streak should end soon but I wouldn't bet money on either happening.

after 7 straight losses I doubt we make the dance & even if we do, we'll be out in the first round.

Says who?? This team is capable of defeating ANY opponent in the division once healthy and playing at full strength. This quitters mentality is disappointing. They're not giving up on us. We shouldn't give up on them. LGD!!!!!!!

Part of what makes me proud to be a fan of this organisation is the never say die attitude and the fact that everyone is committed to winning. We don’t cheapen the badge on the front by tanking a season to get a good draft pick like the Penguins.

One of the most exciting times for me as a Devils fan was the 10-11 season where we went on the run and narrowly missed the playoffs. People at the time then were saying " oh but now we are going to have a lousy draft pick" and it was a good feeling when we won it, it was almost like a reward for not throwing in the towel.

I would rather they played hard until the end of the season and narfowly missed out, than just give up and play for the loser prize.

Two points back of 8th, not sure how any Devils fan can bail on them, better draft pick or not.  It may not be easy to feel confident about them, but they're still very much alive.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Part of what makes me proud to be a fan of this organisation is the never say die attitude and the fact that everyone is committed to winning. We don’t cheapen the badge on the front by tanking a season to get a good draft pick like the Penguins.

One of the most exciting times for me as a Devils fan was the 10-11 season where we went on the run and narrowly missed the playoffs. People at the time then were saying " oh but now we are going to have a lousy draft pick" and it was a good feeling when we won it, it was almost like a reward for not throwing in the towel.

I would rather they played hard until the end of the season and narfowly missed out, than just give up and play for the loser prize.

This. I would rather see them play hard to the end despite the playoffs, than roll over to get the high pick. And i will take that choice every single time. Believe. Just Believe.

Edited by maniacdevsdude

Hmmm things to do.... Practice shoot out,practice shoot out,god dammit practice the shoot out!!!!!

It is what it is.  Some guys are good at it, some guys aren't...some guys seem to have a knack for it.  Unfortunately right now the Devils' #1 guy is out, and their #2 guy is playing for another team.  We're extremely spoiled when it comes to the shootout because they were so damned good at it until this year.  Some teams have been just the opposite since '05-'06, and sadly, we're finding out how the other half lives.

There's a lot I don't like about the shootout, but one of the things I don't like about it is it's all luck, as far as whether your team is good at it or not.  If you have a team that has defensive or offensive issues, the GM can make a move to find a coach that can improve such issues, or upgrade the personnel to find more qualified and skilled players...same with upgrading the goalie position...the moves may or may not work out, but at least it makes sense to try to address such deficiencies.  No GM is ever bringing in a player to improve on the shootout, and as we've seen, there's players who might be almost useless otherwise, but can do well in the shootout, and vice-versa.  No GM is looking at any given player who might be able to help his team in regulation and OT, and thinking to himself, "But is he any good in the shootout?  If he's not, I might have to pass."  And unfortunately for a team like the Devils, the skills competition comes up just enough in a season like this that you can feel the effects of not being successful in them, but even with that, less than a quarter of the Devils' games have gone to a shootout, so how much time would a coach really want to spend on trying to improve on them?    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

perspective!  if we were in last place all year and had a hot streak to put us within 2 pts of the playoffs................

Then the team would be playing well, getting the bounces, having positive energy and a positive attitude. I'm pretty sure the dressing room doesn't have that vibe...