Top 5 Greatest Defensemen

koolkoreankid23

Here is where the board stomps all over me.

Stevens isn't even top 10 overall for defensmen.

Bobby Orr

Doug Harvey

Eddie Shore

Denis Potvin

Raymond Bourque

Red Kelly

Nicklas Lidstrom

Brad Park

Larry Robinson

Slava Fetisov

Chris Chelios

all these defensmen are better Howe may even be better if everyone took his WHA numbers into consideration.

Bobby Orr

Doug Harvey

Eddie Shore

Denis Potvin

Raymond Bourque

Red Kelly

Nicklas Lidstrom

Brad Park

Larry Robinson

Slava Fetisov

Chris Chelios

all these defensmen are better Howe may even be better if everyone took his WHA numbers into consideration.

Just wanted to note that you're taking Fetisov's career in Russia into account.

Bobby Orr

Larry Robinson

Niklas Lidstrom

Scott Stevens

Doug Harvey

Eddie Shore

Red Kelly

Scott Niedermayer

Chris Chelios

Raymond Bourque

there are still way too many to name to say they are in the top 5 or 10 all-time in the NHL. Just too hard to determine IMO.

Edited by SatansDevils

Bobby Orr

Doug Harvey

Eddie Shore

Denis Potvin

Raymond Bourque

Red Kelly

Nicklas Lidstrom

Brad Park

Larry Robinson

Slava Fetisov

Chris Chelios

I haven't seen Harvey, Shore, or Kelly, so I can' t comment.

Stevens > Bourque, Park, Lidstrom, Fetisov and Chelios.

Anyone to list players they haven't seen play is just assanine.

Well not really, you just make educated guesses and read up on certain players. Everyone of those defensmen dominated their era much more then Stevens did. Yes, I took Fetisov's dominant international career in Russia into account.

List your top 5 greatest d-men of all-time. Number 1 is pretty obvious.

My list has changed like 20 times already. But here's my latest.

1. Bobby Orr

2. Paul Coffey

3. Ray Bourque

4. Denis Potvin

5. Larry Robinson

You are officially on my sh!t list FYI. :evil:

no that's NOT a nice smiley in case you thought it was :evil:

My list:

1. Bobby Orr

2. Doug Harvey

3. Larry Robinson

4. Eddie Shore

5. Red Kelly

This is at least an endearing & personal list - even if it's stupid :evil: now THAT was meant to be a funny smilie

in my universe, these are my picks;

1. Bobby Orr

2. Larry Robinson

3. Brian Leetch

4. Niklas Lidstrom

5. Scott Stevens

You live in a sane universe my friend! well... sort of at least

Bobby Orr

Doug Harvey

Eddie Shore

Denis Potvin

Raymond Bourque

my... how unoriginal - I'd expect more of you. Hmeh - you're getting older I guess :evil:

If they split up the awards then fine, Stevens is one of the best defensive D-men to ever play the game. But as far as this criteria goes, I can think of at least 5 D-men that I would want on my team to control the D-zone and then lead a rush and create offense.

I understand Scotty may have accomplished that a certain times but it wasn't the bulk of his career.

Wait a sec -- that's stupid what you just wrote there... so you weren't saying who was the best defence man.... you're list was about the best Norris winner? That's effed up dude! and NOT hockey.

:evil: that's still a happy smilie even if I am being pugnacious!

1. Orr

2. Stevens

3. Robinson

4. Shore

5. Potvin

Definitely a universe warped to my specifications.... not sure that's really a GOOD thing but...

Anything's debatable when you're trying to pick just five guys from at least 50 years of hockey. If you pick a guy you never saw, you can only go by what you've read or what Stan Fischler said.

:clap: SOOOOOO true. The little tykes will argue to the death about it though... "My dad made tapes!" DUDE - there were no tapes!! :argh: I can't even go there any more :rofl: You gotta give us our bright side at being over 40! or you know YOU because... YOU'RE over 40 and stuff... right? :unsure::blush:

It's always hard for me to argue with Larry and Orr and Potvin because I saw them play. But I didn't like Orr or Robinson because I hate their teams and Potvin was on my favorite team so i didn't think he was that great -- you know? I just thought only I thought he was :rofl:

AND - I take issue with Orr as number one because he was so fragile. I mean - he was great but stamina HAS to fit in there. the body HAS to be able to take it. Brodeur has to be better than Roy because of his longevity. He may smash records - and many will say it's because he played so much longer -- but that's GOT to figure in to the equation. I'm not saying Orr wanted his body to crap out on him or it did because he was a less than decent player --- but I'm not going around saying Lindros was numero tres because he WOULD have put up crazy numbers for YEARS if only he's lasted. Why does the same never hold up for Orr? *insert tirade against stupid Boston fans*

Well not really, you just make educated guesses and read up on certain players. Everyone of those defensmen dominated their era much more then Stevens did. Yes, I took Fetisov's dominant international career in Russia into account.

Are you an actuary yet? You really were MADE for that career track!

I won't jump all over you for your list either -- I understand where you're coming from, and it's your opinion... no wait I take that back it is your determination/calculation.

I think you intentionally try to take out any sentimentality you may feel for something you personally witnessed -- and with that you take out Stevens soul. If you were removed from him - not a fan of the team - you'd have a fuller scope of his contribution. The same way you can take the essence of historical players and add them into your total quotient. You're very obviously leaving that out for Stevens. You think in fairness... but it's not - you're purposely judging on half the picture because you fear your full picture is skewed. You are being less than objective :evil:

Like others have said, it isn't really fair to rate defensemen you haven't seen. So, since I started following hockey in '94, these are the top five that I've seen:

1) Ray Bourque

2) Nicklas Lidstrom

3) Scott Stevens

4) Scott Niedermayer

5) Chris Pronger

Bobby Orr is pretty much universally accepted as the greatest defenseman of all time and guys like Larry Robinson and Denis Potvin probably deserve recognition too, but I just didn't see them play.

Paul Coffey and Brian Leetch were too one-dimensional for me to include. Might as well have Phil Housley on the list. Chelios was pretty damn great in his prime, and he certainly gets points for longevity. He was just on the fringe of my top five. Pronger is a total bag of douche, but he's got a great game and it's no coincidence that Edmonton went to the Finals with him and Anaheim won it all with him.

AND - I take issue with Orr as number one because he was so fragile. I mean - he was great but stamina HAS to fit in there. the body HAS to be able to take it. Brodeur has to be better than Roy because of his longevity. He may smash records - and many will say it's because he played so much longer -- but that's GOT to figure in to the equation. I'm not saying Orr wanted his body to crap out on him or it did because he was a less than decent player --- but I'm not going around saying Lindros was numero tres because he WOULD have put up crazy numbers for YEARS if only he's lasted. Why does the same never hold up for Orr? *insert tirade against stupid Boston fans*

But for the time he played, his numbers were off-the-charts phenomenal:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4085

I think that guys like Orr, Sandy Koufax, and Mike Bossy (to name a few), the short-term dominance guys who perform and then stop cold due their bodies giving out (but truly dominate while they play) belong in a category all their own. From 69-75 (six seasons) Orr's numbers were absurd...not just great, but all-world. Same for Bossy: from '77 to '86 (9 seasons) he put up less than 117 points just twice, and scored 51 to 69 goals throughout each of those nine seasons. Lindros never really performed at stratospheric level like that (though he did have some outstanding seasons), and unlike Lindros, these guys played in most of their games (less so Orr) until having to retire early due to injury. Lindros was almost a lock to miss about a quarter or so out of every season he played.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Chelios was pretty damn great in his prime, and he certainly gets points for longevity. He was just on the fringe of my top five.

Chelios had one heck of a career (I know its still going on, but all he has to add is another cup at this point in his career.

-11 time all-star, 3 time norris winner, 3 cups, and silver medal

^thats not too shabby at all

*comparing Chelios to Stevens the statistics are quite startling; 3 games played apart, 11g apart, 51a apart, 40+/-, and 100 pims apart.

Edited by welcometotherock

Are you an actuary yet? You really were MADE for that career track!

I won't jump all over you for your list either -- I understand where you're coming from, and it's your opinion... no wait I take that back it is your determination/calculation.

I think you intentionally try to take out any sentimentality you may feel for something you personally witnessed -- and with that you take out Stevens soul. If you were removed from him - not a fan of the team - you'd have a fuller scope of his contribution. The same way you can take the essence of historical players and add them into your total quotient. You're very obviously leaving that out for Stevens. You think in fairness... but it's not - you're purposely judging on half the picture because you fear your full picture is skewed. You are being less than objective :evil:

I'm not saying Stevens wasn't a great defensmen. Hell, I still think he is the teams most important player in history and probably top 5 most important defensmen in history based on his worth to this team. There were just better defensemen overall then Stevens. Jagr was a better player then Bobby Clarke but I would take Clarke 9 times out of 10 for my team in the playoffs.

I'm actually going in the airforce as a pilot. I finished my business degree and learned to hate it.

Numbers don't even do Orr justice from what I have heard. Apparently he would just skate around the ice for two minutes on penalty kills. No one could take the puck away from him. He was the original offensive defenseman. No defenseman would just rush the puck up the ice.

There are many people who regard Orr as the greatest player in hockey and some who say he was one of the greatest athletes of all time. From some of the things I have heard and seen that might not be do crazy.