Devils acquire Steve Sullivan

jagknife

Going in on Bishop would have been a decent decision.

Lou won't sign a huge, overly padded goalie. I guarantee it. I'll eat my hat if he ever does. Re-port this post if it happens, because I will eat my hat. That's how sure I am that Lou will never EVER sign an oversized, overpadded goal protector thing that some teams call a goalie.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lou won't sign a huge, overly padded goalie. I guarantee it. I'll eat my hat if he ever does. Re-port this post if it happens, because I will eat my hat. That's how sure I am that Lou will never EVER sign an oversized, overpadded goal protector thing that some teams call a goalie.

Those are the only type of goalie left really.  Why would anyone under 30 want to have learned any other way?

ThreeCups, what last year showed is that the NHL playoffs are a real crapshoot these days.  The two teams before last season's also had Elias and Marty, and Kovy in his prime.  How did they do?

Marty is getting old...you don't see too many 40-year-old goalies playing in the NHL, much less being counted on like the Devils are with Marty.  Like I'll keep saying, I'll always have a soft spot for Marty, but look at the save%s for him since 2010...no, save%s aren't everything, but it's not going to be that hard to find a guy who will simply stop more shots than will this version of Marty.   

I thought Marty was definitely good overall in the playoffs last year, but at his age, there's no guarantee that he can do that again.  

And no, you do have to name names if you're going to make it sound like there was an obvious move or two Lou could've made. 

Yes they NHL playoffs are a crapshoot, and I would gamble on Marty over whatever the future in the Devils' crease will be.  (assuming we don't trade for/sign a legitimate top level goaltender)  The teams in the previous seasons did absolutely nothing...but as you pointed out, it is all a crapshoot....I would ride with Marty.   I also did not say there were "obvious" moves for Lou to do, but I would like to see something done that is an actual improvement, not a deal just for the sake of doing one.  I feel the Sullivan move will be a total non-factor.

I would have liked to see Jagr, Iginla, Pominville, etc added....if we could have done so without dealing a 1st....

lol there is no way to get any of those without either dealing a either a blue chip prospect, a top 6 NHL'er or 1st round pick.  Would you be willing to part with any of those for a rental?

He looked good because he didn't have to be good.  We forechecked the sh!t out of the Flyers and Rangers in those rounds.  Marty was tested in Round 1 and the Finals and didn't look good at all.

I want whatever you're taking brother, because you live in a delusional world.  Yes, we dominated the Flyers.  If you think we dominated the Rags, then I think you need to go back and watch some film.  Those games were pretty much all extremely close, and hard fought. He was great for most of that series, did everything that was asked of him against Philly (especially in Game 2 where we were down only 1-0 going into the 3rd which allowed for the comeback that changed the series), and was good in games 1, 2, 4 and 5 in the Finals. 

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Those are the only type of goalie left really.  Why would anyone under 30 want to have learned any other way?

Bingo.   The position has changed to the point where all the goalies are going to be blimps who are slightly better or worse than each other.   There will be very few Marty style goalies again, likely no Hasek style goalies, and Moose type goalies, butterfly goalies who play small and have to dive/flail around?  Forget about that.

Edited by maxpower

I want whatever you're taking brother, because you live in a delusional world.  Yes, we dominated the Flyers.  If you think we dominated the Rags, then I think you need to go back and watch some film.  Those games were pretty much all extremely close, and hard fought. He was great for most of that series, did everything that was asked of him against Philly (especially in Game 2 where we were down only 1-0 going into the 3rd which allowed for the comeback that changed the series), and was good in games 1, 2, 4 and 5 in the Finals. 

The Rangers were actually taking the series away as it went along.   We just kept jumping them early in the games and then we'd get pounded.   He was very good in that series and beat Lundqvist.   Which will amuse me until the end of time.

Sometimes I wonder why you root for this team

Marty didn;t have to be spectacular like in 2003 but he was good enough to get a win.  He made some highlight reel saves last year in Rounds 2 and 3 but was not the major reason why we won those.  We man-handled the Flyers and handled the Rangers with our aggressive forecheck that they had no answer for. 

Also only game 1 and 2 of the second round was somewhat close while game 5 and 6 of the 3rd round were somewhat close.  None of these were real nail-biters and the rest of the games were not even close.

Marty didn;t have to be spectacular like in 2003 but he was good enough to get a win.  He made some highlight reel saves last year in Rounds 2 and 3 but was not the major reason why we won those.  We man-handled the Flyers and handled the Rangers with our aggressive forecheck that they had no answer for. 

Also only game 1 and 2 of the second round was somewhat close while game 5 and 6 of the 3rd round were somewhat close.  None of these were real nail-biters and the rest of the games were not even close.

The Rangers series was a war....

I would have liked to see Jagr, Iginla, Pominville, etc added....if we could have done so without dealing a 1st....

Great.  For who?  And two of players did see a first-rounder go the other way. 

I know you're not alone in wishing Lou would've done something with more pizazz, I just don't think the deal was there to be made. 

I would have moved some prospects and later picks for any of those guys....

Yeah because a couple of prospects (any guy drafted by a team is a "prospect") and later picks are what those teams really want for their top-scorers :rolleyes:

The Rangers series was a war....

It was a war for the fans, but games 1-4 were not that close.

I would have moved some prospects and later picks for any of those guys....

Jagr cost a 2nd and 2 prospects.

Iginla cost a 1st and 2 prospects.

Pominville cost a 1st, a 2nd, a top goalie prospect, and a forward prospect.

So, again, how to later picks a prospects get those guys?

Great.  For who?  And two of players did see a first-rounder go the other way. 

I know you're not alone in wishing Lou would've done something with more pizazz, I just don't think the deal was there to be made. 

I would have included any combination of Teddy/Josefson/any of our extra d-men/2nd round picks and later

Jagr cost a 2nd and 2 prospects.

Iginla cost a 1st and 2 prospects.

Pominville cost a 1st, a 2nd, a top goalie prospect, and a forward prospect.

So, again, how to later picks a prospects get those guys?

Would have gladly taken JJ for a 2nd and 2 prospects...

Would have tried to substitute something else in place of a 1st in the other deals....if it was not an option, it's understandable.  But I do not think LL even inquired on any of these players.  Even if he did, it is a moot point now.

I would have included any combination of Teddy/Josefson/any of our extra d-men/2nd round picks and later

Teddy and Josefson have little to no trade value at this point and the same with our extra d-men.  Also no way they would want a 2nd or later draft pick.  This is NHL 13 video game trading.

So Teddy, Josefson, Tallinder, a 2nd, and 4th for Jagr?  I'd be pretty upset if the Devils made that move.

I wouldn't care for Teddy and Josefson.  I kinda like Tallinder but can part with him.  I would hate to lose a 2nd and 4th for Jagr though and the fact that it would be a rental would make a huge waste.

Teddy and Josefson have little to no trade value at this point and the same with our extra d-men.  Also no way they would want a 2nd or later draft pick.  This is NHL 13 video game trading.

Neither did the guys that got moved for Jagr lol

But yeah they couldn't afford to give up any more real picks.  Clearly Lou doesn't like odd-round drafting though :P

Neither did the guys that got moved for Jagr lol

But yeah they couldn't afford to give up any more real picks.  Clearly Lou doesn't like odd-round drafting though :P

Yeah I mean losing those players won't break me up but losing a 2nd or 1st round pick this year for a rental would piss me off.

I think d'agostini ends up on the 4th line by the end of the season.

Lines end up being something like:

Zubrus-Zajac-Kovalchuk

Elias-Henrique-Clarkson

Sullivan-Loktionov-Poni

D'agostini-Carter-Bernier

That lineup has some players playing on their off-wings but its still a really solid lineup

The Rangers were actually taking the series away as it went along.   We just kept jumping them early in the games and then we'd get pounded.   He was very good in that series and beat Lundqvist.   Which will amuse me until the end of time.

Lundqvist was also not very good, specifically in games 4 and 5.  But yeah, this is pretty much what happened in Games 4, 5, and 6.  Dubinsky coming back was real big for them.

Really? Take a look at our goalie prospects.

Sure, I'll take a look.  Oh wait, none of them are putting up good save percentages really at any level?  Ah.  Good to know.