GDT-Flames @ Devils-7PM

Renato Rodrigues

They've had some poor-effort games here and there (all teams will, especially in compressed seasons), but there's actually reasons for hope for next year...the overall goaltending should improve, for one.  And like I've pointed out, there's flexibility with this roster.  Lou can make plenty of changes if he wants to.

Yup, I've been surprisingly calm about it. 

I thought I saw a couple here neb but I was taking other boards and twitter into consideration too

What you posted was moronic in nature...you jumped to an unfounded conclusion, that I was saying to dump Ryder and Brunner and not try to find upgrades.  It's very simple...Ryder and Brunner shouldn't really be considered scorers if this team wants to improve offensively. 

At any rate, your response was ridiculous and way over the top, but you only made yourself look bad in doing it.

I never said that you said that we would not find upgrades, you jumped to that conclusion too and missed my point, that makes you a moron too i guess. Thats my whole point, upgrades on those players wont make a difference by how low were in scoring, we'd still be sitting at the bottom of the league in scoring

Yup, I've been surprisingly calm about it. 

I thought I saw a couple here neb but I was taking other boards and twitter into consideration too

Oh it's been said many times. I just think this game is different for people seeing as how tonight the Devils clearly gave all they had and still failed.

I hope one of you stat guys can make a post sometime about how many rookie/backup/washed up goaltenders the Devils have lost to this season. It seems like it would be a depressing number.

That may take some time. Its a list on par with the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Our last succesful season we had a 40 goals scorer, 2 30 goals scorer, a few 20+ scorers and then we had our regulars in the 5-10 range.

We lost kovy, zach, clarkson, sykora (very cheap 20+ goals production)

Replaced it by jagr, brunner, clowe, ryder, butler, matteau and god knows who else. Which was clearly not enough to compensate. Only jagr actually helped.

We have no scoring outside of maybe boucher coming from our system. We have aging scorers that should leave soon and their production is dropping anyway.

We can try to sign a few free agents but again, anyone that we sign should be added to the mix, not replacing or be a small upgrade to another guy leaving. That still wont be enough

Problem with Ryder and Brunner types is they don't bring much else to the table.  Ryder really needs to score 25+ to be of value.  If he's struggling to score 20, he's pretty much useless, especially with the insanely long scoring droughts.  You can find guys who can score 15-20 who can do some other things. 

I never said that you said that we would not find upgrades, you jumped to that conclusion too and missed my point, that makes you a moron too i guess. Thats my whole point, upgrades on those players wont make a difference by how low were in scoring, we'd still be sitting at the bottom of the league in scoring

Your post implied as much.  You made it sound like I was just saying to get rid of them and not make any attempt to find improvements. 

Anyway, jettisoning those two is a start.  For one, it shows guys will be held accountable (and I think that's becoming a problem around here)...if you're not doing your job, you're not a lock to keep it around here.  And like I said, you can find guys who can score 15-20 and be more helpful than Ryder and Brunner. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

hope you enjoyed it while it lasted this season... if i were him i would run far and fast after this year.

This is why I almost don't want scorers to come to this team - I know we depress them. We should just stick to defense at this point.

Edited by Neb00rs

Ryder and Brunner are going nowhere.  We have $6 mil tied up in these turds next year.  No one will trade for a washed-up Ryder at $3.5 mil (who had more points in the half season last year than the full season this year).  And there was a reason no one offered Brunner a contract in the offseason, but yet Lou gave him a 2 year deal based on a one week tryout.

Hate all the "players didn't try hard enough" stuff. The team isn't the greatest to begin with and are short 3 top guys. We get a bounce going our way and it's "damn I'm so fvcking proud of this team!!!!!!!!!!" The effort is there, it has been all along. This is a team of mules that needs a stallion or two. 

It's not that they didn't try hard tonight but where was the effort we saw the last three games at other points this season when we were losing a million games to trash teams and every backup goaltender in the league?

Ryder and Brunner are going nowhere.  We have $6 mil tied up in these turds next year.  No one will trade for a washed-up Ryder at $3.5 mil (who had more points in the half season last year than the full season this year).  And there was a reason no one offered Brunner a contract in the offseason, but yet Lou gave him a 2 year deal based on a one week tryout.

They're on one-year deals after this year, they're easily disposable.  Someone would surely take Ryder in particular thinking he could go back to scoring 25-30 goals on the right team.  I'd really have to think long and hard if I could only get rid of one of them.  Brunner can't score to save his life but he's been like the little engine that couldn't most of the time and at least has some speed (which this team has to get a LOT more of), while Ryder floats around so much you're surprised he doesn't bump into airplanes.

Ryder is pretty cheap and only has a year left.  He had a 35-goal season in '11-'12 and scored 16 in '12-'13 (35 points in 46 GP that year).  Someone would take a chance on him and hope he's a bargain, though an opposing GM is probably looking to unload a bad contract that has an extra year or two over Ryder's, or will deal a 3rd-rounder...such GMs will probably be looking to fleece. 

Not sure how much interest there would be in Brunner. 

I hope one of you stat guys can make a post sometime about how many rookie/backup/washed up goaltenders the Devils have lost to this season.  It seems like it would be a depressing number.

Twenty backup goalies.

McIllheney twice

Raanta twice

Gustavsson twice

Emery twice

LaBarbera

Scrivens (with LA)

MacDonald

Montoya

Hutton

Budaj

C. Johnson

Greiss

Nillson

Lieuwen

Stalock

Giguere

$5 Brodeur starts the next game, any takers?

They're not going to bother playing him in a meaningless road game if that's what it is and they're not going to play him if they're mathematically alive either.  He'll probably wind up playing the home games Friday and Sunday.

just a bunch of posts, god assisted saves, and heartbreaking flubs coming up. no point in watching this one to the end

congrats on the shutout Kari Ramo. Looking forward to seeing you in the Devils backup goalie opponent hall of fame

Sadly he's not a backup at this point...he's started eight of their last nine games.  But it is a little much hearing Jagr say Ramo had the best performance from a goalie he's ever seen.  Our best scoring chances were coming from Ryan freaking Carter and one from Bernier, and we wonder why we couldn't score?

Sadly he's not a backup at this point...he's started eight of their last nine games.  But it is a little much hearing Jagr say Ramo had the best performance from a goalie he's ever seen.  Our best scoring chances were coming from Ryan freaking Carter and one from Bernier, and we wonder why we couldn't score?

No one wonders. There was clearly a lack of offensive talent in the lineup tonight and all season really. Been that way for two years.

I hate the backup goalie stuff. It's the same trouble for any team that struggles to score goals. But the Devils did well against a whole bunch of backups this season. You just remember the bad ones. It's just a title too. Doesn't mean a lot of them aren't good enough to be starters.

This was good, but best EVER? Not a chance Jags. Remember last year we outshot Boston and Toronto something like 100-20 in consecutive games and lost both? Those were worse.

We had 31 shots today, but to be honest passed up on some chances as well. I don't think we had a single 2 on 1 or breakaway either (Calgary did) we had bad bounces with chaos in front of the net...but few clean looks

Edited by '7'

They're not going to bother playing him in a meaningless road game if that's what it is and they're not going to play him if they're mathematically alive either.  He'll probably wind up playing the home games Friday and Sunday.

I think Cory deserves to play Friday against the Isles as a sort of farewell cap on the season as well in front of the home fans. He's been spectacular of late and endeared himself to the fans. Marty can have his moment on Sunday against Boston. It can kind of be an in with the new OUT WITH THE OLD type weekend

I don't think we'll be mathematically alive on Thursday. Columbus is letting us off the mat again. And no way in hell Detroit does. In a way that's not terrible as this loss too Calgary won't really matter.

Edited by '7'

No one wonders. There was clearly a lack of offensive talent in the lineup tonight and all season really. Been that way for two years.

I hate the backup goalie stuff. It's the same trouble for any team that struggles to score goals. But the Devils did well against a whole bunch of backups this season. You just remember the bad ones. It's just a title too. Doesn't mean a lot of them aren't good enough to be starters.

Not really, they're 8-20 overall against backups according to this (well with several loser points sprinkled in)...the guy who did this post missed one of the McIlhenney losses though.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=82690521&postcount=1

Edited by NJDevs4978