Rick Nash To NYR

JakeDev

Everyone knows Kovy is a better value than Nash, that doesn't mean they aren't better than last year and we aren't as good as currently constituted. They basically add Nash and Kreider (didn't play a regular season game) over Dubinsky and Anisimov from last year's team, we subtracted Zach with no additions 'yet'.

Doesn't make them better. How many times have we seen the Rangers win a July sweepstakes, only falter the following spring? The way Tortorella's system takes a toll on his players, depth is paramount to the Rangers' success. This trade gives up depth while making them even more top heavy.

We complain about Lou not doing anything this offseason, but at least Stu Freaking Bickel isn't our No. 5 defenseman at the moment.

Bingo, Bango, Boingo

From what I've read ..the rags were the only team on his list, and that is for ONE reason....fame. Just like Gomez wanted the world to see he landed in NYC so does Nash.

It will be interesting to see if he buys into Torts "defense & backcheck & block shots first" game plan.

That's a common misconception with the Rangers system. There is no back check because the puck never leaves their zone. Might as well just call it a check. Now back checking on a fast break is a different story.

Nash will fit right in with Hagelin and the former 'savior' Brad Richards to come up lazy on the back check.

Guess I'm in the minority on this, but I think the Rangers did improve with this trade. Yes, giving up Dubinsky and Anisimov hurts their depth, but they can be replaced. If the Rangers land Shane Doan and/or sign a guy like Dominic Moore, their depth rebounds significantly. Anisimov was a nice player for them last year, but Nash is a major upgrade. And considering the Rangers did well with Dubinsky having a rough season, losing him seems like it could hurt most in the locker room rather than in the win-loss column.

It still takes a hit short-term with Gaborik sidelined, but a powerplay with Nash, Richards, Gaborik, Callahan and Del Zotto as a first unit is pretty formidable.

All that being said, I agree with other posters that I'm just having trouble seeing the Rangers do quite as well this upcoming season. Lundqvist will have another outstanding season (sucks, but true), but a number of things just seemed to go the Rangers' way last year that seemed flukey. Maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I can't see them as the #1 seed in the East, or even winning the Atlantic again.

One thing about the Rangers, I don't think that is really how Torts WANTS to play. Yeah, "safe is death" was overblown, but I don't really think they want to be a 60 minutes (or more) blockedshotathon 82 times during the regular season.

It's how he felt they HAD to play. The have a world-class goalie and are stronger on defense than they are at forward and alot of their forwards are more of the defensive "grit" type. So, that's what they do. I am not 100% certain that's how they are going to play in the future, although their forward corp is still pretty thin.

One thing about the Rangers, I don't think that is really how Torts WANTS to play. Yeah, "safe is death" was overblown, but I don't really think they want to be a 60 minutes (or more) blockedshotathon 82 times during the regular season.

It's how he felt they HAD to play. The have a world-class goalie and are stronger on defense than they are at forward and alot of their forwards are more of the defensive "grit" type. So, that's what they do. I am not 100% certain that's how they are going to play in the future, although their forward corp is still pretty thin.

Well, you can see it in part by how Tortorella deployed his forwards - ZS%:

Gaborik: 63%

Stepan: 62.9%

Richards: 54.4%

Anisimov: 52.7%

Hagelin: 52.6%

Callahan: 48.8%

Mitchell: 45.7%

Rupp: 43.2%

Dubinsky: 41.8%

Fedotenko: 36.5%

Prust: 33.7%

Boyle: 28.8%

Trouble is, the Rangers just lost Mitchell, Dubinsky, Fedotenko, and Prust. They've replaced them with Nash, Pyatt, Asham, and Halpern, but I don't know if that's an upgrade. A lot's going to fall on Hagelin and Krieder to carry the water on this team, because Gaborik, Richards, and (likely) Nash can't do it, and Stepan was awful at it last year.

That's a common misconception with the Rangers system. There is no back check because the puck never leaves their zone. Might as well just call it a check. Now back checking on a fast break is a different story.

Nash will fit right in with Hagelin and the former 'savior' Brad Richards to come up lazy on the back check.

hey Ryan Carter is from Minnesota ...... how come he didnt "go home" when he had a chance!!!!

Ah, I still remember, Girardi going around the net, Richards flopping around, McDonaugh sprawled out, and Lundqvist bewildered. Then out of nowhere comes Henrique who.just.slides.the.puck.into.the.net.and.the.rest.is.history.because.the.rangers.are.gone.

Trouble is, the Rangers just lost Mitchell, Dubinsky, Fedotenko, and Prust. They've replaced them with Nash, Pyatt, Asham, and Halpern, but I don't know if that's an upgrade. A lot's going to fall on Hagelin and Krieder to carry the water on this team, because Gaborik, Richards, and (likely) Nash can't do it, and Stepan was awful at it last year.

Nash is an upgrade on offense over Dubinsky, but he's not the same type of player. Pyatt helps, but I still wouldn't be shocked if they sign someone like Dominic Moore, Matt Bradley, etc.

So if Nash/Dubinsky is viewed as an upgrade, Pyatt/Prust is essentially a wash, Asham/Fedotenko as a downgrade, Halpern/Mitchell as a downgrade.

Big question mark is regarding how they replace Anisimov's contributions. Doan is obviously out there, but they could try to gamble on someone like Eric Fehr who will be cheap. Maybe they kick the tires on Andrew Brunette.

Big difference: The Rangers aren't replacing, they're adding.

What? No. They just traded 2 roster players for Nash, and a defenseman that maybe could've helped them. That's not adding, that's replacing. It's why they've only gotten slightly better with this trade.

What? No. They just traded 2 roster players for Nash, and a defenseman that maybe could've helped them. That's not adding, that's replacing. It's why they've only gotten slightly better with this trade.

I agree with the "slightly better"... They seem a bit better on paper, let's hope things don't go their way, the way many of these big-name long-term signings do.

It does make me wonder how much players consider that when going to the Rangers.. "hmmm the coach wants me to put my face in front of pucks and will scream his head off at me all the time.. sign me up"

After almost a decade of 65-point seasons in Columbus I don't think most people would be too picky.

safe to say now that Doan is going to sign in NY too and that Semin will endup in pittsburgh.

great offseason. simply great.

Just because the Rangers want Doan, doesn't mean they'll get him. And Pittsburgh supposedly signing Semin is the little boy crying wolf, it's been a parroted rumor, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Just because the Rangers want Doan, doesn't mean they'll get him. And Pittsburgh supposedly signing Semin is the little boy crying wolf, it's been a parroted rumor, but I'll believe it when I see it.

it could still happen... Doan visited NY and Philly... so its not looking good

The reason I like this for the Rags is that it's not easy to get quality like Nash. If that hurts there depth and cap, those things are easier to fix than it is to acquire a bona fide stud. It took us a year and a half, but we were able to rebuild after the Kovy acquisition. Hopefully, Nash isn't as good as Kovy, but if he is, those other problems go away.

Rarely does the team giving up the better player in the deal come out on top in these types of transactions. The Kovy trade is a great example, but there are a ton of others as well. Only time will tell but, when fully healthy, they will be tough to beat.

seriously Kovy's return for 2 months is similar if not better than what Colombus got for Nash for 5 years... unreal

After almost a decade of 65-point seasons in Columbus I don't think most people would be too picky.

Well, he was. He gave Howson a list of six (or so) teams and declined when the GM asked him to expand it. Sort of primma donna stuff, but well. Guess after all those years there he wanted to make sure he would play for a team he *really* wants to go to.

Well, he was. He gave Howson a list of six (or so) teams and declined when the GM asked him to expand it. Sort of primma donna stuff, but well. Guess after all those years there he wanted to make sure he would play for a team he *really* wants to go to.

Everyone's piling on Howson, but this had to handcuff him significantly. I doubt all 6 teams even made serious offers.

Fair enough but he was obviously picking winning teams with big payrolls for a reason.

I think Nash is a bit more concerned with getting to see his name in lights. He's been relegated to obscurity by the casual hockey fan most of his career.

Not having a go at you as I get your point...but I just wanted to comment on the myth that is the new York rangers being a relevant team in nyc. They don't get much attention from the average new yorker. Aside from being on nbcsn a few more times a year, I don't get the whole name in lights, pressure cooker talk that some people associate with the new york rangers. No one cares any more about Rick nash because he's a ranger than if he was a Dallas star.

Edited by devlman