Discuss - Most Likely Trade Deadline Targets

Sharifijanov2099

I dont have a problem with being optimistic, but I dont see how this team can pull off a trade that's going to make the playoffs a realistic possability. Could Cory's play carry us in with the acquisition of a legitmate top line LW who decides to show up and produce? Sure, I'll buy that. But where is it going to come from and what is it going to cost?

If Lou can find it, great. Otherwise, I have no problem selling Jagr, Zid and even Marty if they fetch a decent return.

I dont have a problem with being optimistic, but I dont see how this team can pull off a trade that's going to make the playoffs a realistic possability. Could Cory's play carry us in with the acquisition of a legitmate top line LW who decides to show up and produce? Sure, I'll buy that. But where is it going to come from and what is it going to cost?

If Lou can find it, great. Otherwise, I have no problem selling Jagr, Zid and even Marty if they fetch a decent return.

I don't see the point in selling since we probably won't get much for Zid, Marty, or Jagr.  Zid and Marty have NTC's too.  Jagr might as well have a NTC, because in the end we all know it's gonna be Jagr's decision if he wants to be traded or not.

If we sell, we don't have much to gain but everything to lose this season.

If we buy, we've got everything to gain, but nothing to lose this season.

You're painfully and annoyingly optimistic. On top of that you're not realistic.

You have to deal in the reality of what this team is. A team that can not score. On top of that, you have to remember that in order to improve and climb the standings, they have to sustain what they already have going for them. A top ranked PK, a 42 year old on a one year deal who can run out of gas any minute now and Vezina-level goaltending that has to stay Vezina level with no margin for error. You know they're going to have to win a SO along the way, too. They also have to leapfrog over at least a half dozen teams.  

You can look at it and say that as bad as they've been offensively they have no where to go but up, but after this many games it's clear it's a problem. It was a problem 20 games ago. I mean they are one 42 year old on a one year deal away from being worse if that's possible,.

That is why it is important to consider trading off and getting assets back to start. You're not going to cure all the ills this trade deadline but it's a start they have to consider making. Get some assets back, go into the Summer and continue from there. This team is in an ideal position to deal to teams in a playoff spot or have eyes on a deep run. The players we vilify here can be valuable depth pieces in different roles. Lamoriello is going to get plenty of calls leading up to the deadline. It might not be a stretch to say, but don't you think the Devils can help influence that logjam of top teams in the West with a shrewd and beneficial deal?

My God, someone else who speaks the same language - reality.  Thank you.

I don't see the point in selling since we probably won't get much for Zid, Marty, or Jagr.  Zid and Marty have NTC's too.  Jagr might as well have a NTC, because in the end we all know it's gonna be Jagr's decision if he wants to be traded or not.

Bolded:  False, so unbelievably false.  Do I need to list off the notable 2nd-3rd round picks of recent years?  Sure, nothing's a guarantee, but neither is making the playoffs.  

Italicized:  False, again.  You have potential future talent to lose.

It's a NO-BRAINER.  Jagr needs to be traded, at least.

My God, someone else who speaks the same language - reality.  Thank you.

Bolded:  False, so unbelievably false.  Do I need to list off the notable 2nd-3rd round picks of recent years?  Sure, nothing's a guarantee, but neither is making the playoffs.  

Italicized:  False, again.  You have potential future talent to lose.

It's a NO-BRAINER.  Jagr needs to be traded, at least.

Wanna know what's realistic?  Our chance at making the playoffs.

Wanna know what's not realistic?  Expecting any GM whose team is 3 points out to be sellers.

Regarding the bold, it's not even worth it if we get a 2nd or 3rd.  In fact I doubt we could even get a 2nd for Jagr.

Regarding the italicized, we have plenty of talent to be spared on the blue line at least.  We can't realistically expect all of them to be able to fit on our team.

Edited by Mike Brown

I don't think adding one legit top 6 player is going to push this team into a lock to make the playoffs. Not to be pessimistic but I don't think this team has that much to gain this season. Trading assets for a rental could hurt them for future seasons though and at this point, I'd rather focus on the future. I hope they sell but can live with it if they don't do anything. Don't really see any upside to buying.

I'm kind of hoping Jagr requests a trade, especially if/when this team struggles after the break. Wouldn't blame him for wanting to go to a team that is a Cup contender.

Wanna know what's realistic?  Our chance at making the playoffs.

Wanna know what's not realistic?  Expecting any GM whose team is 3 points out to be sellers.

Regarding the bold, it's not even worth it if we get a 2nd or 3rd.  In fact I doubt we could even get a 2nd for Jagr.

Regarding the italicized, we have plenty of talent to be spared on the blue line at least.  We can't realistically expect all of them to be able to fit on our team.

You really find jumping 5 teams in 23 games realistic? This team has strung together 3 wins once all season.

Jagr fetched 2nd and 2 prospects last year and he's having a great season. And why give up defensive prospects for expensive rentals when the playoffs are a 33% chance at the moment? That'd be an Islander-level move. 

I don't think adding one legit top 6 player is going to push this team into a lock to make the playoffs. Not to be pessimistic but I don't think this team has that much to gain this season. Trading assets for a rental could hurt them for future seasons though and at this point, I'd rather focus on the future. I hope they sell but can live with it if they don't do anything. Don't really see any upside to buying.

I'm kind of hoping Jagr requests a trade, especially if/when this team struggles after the break. Wouldn't blame him for wanting to go to a team that is a Cup contender.

There's no upside to selling either.  That's the problem.

You really find jumping 5 teams in 23 games realistic? This team has strung together 3 wins once all season.

Jagr fetched 2nd and 2 prospects last year and he's having a great season. And why give up defensive prospects for expensive rentals when the playoffs are a 33% chance at the moment? That'd be an Islander-level move. 

It's certainly unrealistic all 5 of those teams are gonna finish with 90+ points.  The most amount of teams in either conference to finish with 90 points in a single season is 10.  Some of these teams will start to fade away and fall out of the race.  Could one of those teams be us?  Of course.  

If you look at the big picture, 93 points should be enough.  Also, with the way the standings are now, it's so tight that winning one game can cause a leapfrong over 3 or four teams.  For example if we win our next game, we jump over both Carolina and Washington.

And as I've said several times, nobody sees big runs coming.  It's easy to say that they've only won 3 in a row once, and assume it's not gonna happen.  Nobody saw the Rags winning 15 out of 20 games after losing to the Isles 5-3.  And that happened.  Nobody saw the Flyers run coming.  Nobody saw the BJ's winning 8 in a row.  These things are always unexpected.

You're wrong.  That's your opinion, and I respect that you are allowed to express it, but you're absolutely wrong.

It's a weak draft for one.  Secondly, we can still sell prior to the draft after the season as someone pointed out.

There's no upside to selling either.  That's the problem.

Sure there is. If the team is realistic and decides the logical outcome that the playoffs won't happen then you get some picks, maybe a decent second or third liner and the kids in Albany get to build their chops up in the big leagues for part of a season.

It's a weak draft for one.  Secondly, we can still sell prior to the draft after the season as someone pointed out.

If the Devils don't like this draft they could always trade for 2015 picks. They have something to gain by trying to get some more picks and some forwards with actual potential into the prospect pool. I think it's much better to try to improve for the future teams than the current team that is unlikely to make the playoffs. The Devils only have 5 picks in 2014 and 2015 at this point anyway.

You can't sell Jagr, Zidlicky, or Brodeur at the draft and those are the 3 guys that would probably get moved if the team sells in a few weeks. Unless you want to sell Schneider or Greene at the draft or make a legitimate hockey trade that is rare in today's NHL, they can't do much.

It's certainly unrealistic all 5 of those teams are gonna finish with 90+ points.  The most amount of teams in either conference to finish with 90 points in a single season is 10.  Some of these teams will start to fade away and fall out of the race.  Could one of those teams be us?  Of course.  

If you look at the big picture, 93 points should be enough.  Also, with the way the standings are now, it's so tight that winning one game can cause a leapfrong over 3 or four teams.  For example if we win our next game, we jump over both Carolina and Washington.

And as I've said several times, nobody sees big runs coming.  It's easy to say that they've only won 3 in a row once, and assume it's not gonna happen.  Nobody saw the Rags winning 15 out of 20 games after losing to the Isles 5-3.  And that happened.  Nobody saw the Flyers run coming.  Nobody saw the BJ's winning 8 in a row.  These things are always unexpected.

The Devils would need to go 15-6-2 for 93 points. You're really going to suggest being buyers based on a big run coming because no one sees big runs coming? I'd rather have a 1st or 2nd in a weak draft than an extra 20 games of Jagr as we limp towards a playoff-less ending to the season. 

Also, Jagr, Zidlicky and Brodeur are all UFA after this season. No one will take them at the draft. 

Sure there is. If the team is realistic and decides the logical outcome that the playoffs won't happen then you get some picks, maybe a decent second or third liner and the kids in Albany get to build their chops up in the big leagues for part of a season.

In order for this to happen, we have to wait until the deadline.  Right now, to say we have no chance at the playoffs is completely unrealistic.

If the Devils don't like this draft they could always trade for 2015 picks. They have something to gain by trying to get some more picks and some forwards with actual potential into the prospect pool. I think it's much better to try to improve for the future teams than the current team that is unlikely to make the playoffs. The Devils only have 5 picks in 2014 and 2015 at this point anyway.

You can't sell Jagr, Zidlicky, or Brodeur at the draft and those are the 3 guys that would probably get moved if the team sells in a few weeks. Unless you want to sell Schneider or Greene at the draft or make a legitimate hockey trade that is rare in today's NHL, they can't do much.

The thing is, we don't know if this team is unlikely to make the playoffs, when a lot of things point in the opposite direction.

You can certainly sell their negotiating rights at the draft or prior to.

The Devils would need to go 15-6-2 for 93 points. You're really going to suggest being buyers based on a big run coming because no one sees big runs coming? I'd rather have a 1st or 2nd in a weak draft than an extra 20 games of Jagr as we limp towards a playoff-less ending to the season. 

Also, Jagr, Zidlicky and Brodeur are all UFA after this season. No one will take them at the draft. 

We're not gonna get a 1st.  I doubt even Lou can pull that off.  Maybe a conditional first, but not a regular 1st for Jagr.  If we make a trade, we're improving the team.  Hence it gives us a better chance at achieving that 15-6-2 record.

Regarding those 3, you can always trade the negotiating rights of those players.

We're not gonna get a 1st.  I doubt even Lou can pull that off.  Maybe a conditional first, but not a regular 1st for Jagr.  If we make a trade, we're improving the team.  Hence it gives us a better chance at achieving that 15-6-2 record.

Regarding those 3, you can always trade the negotiating rights of those players.

Teams aren't going to trade for negotiating rights on 3 old, pending UFAs

Teams aren't going to trade for negotiating rights on 3 old, pending UFAs

I doubt anybody would trade for old UFA's to begin with.  I just don't think it's justifiable to trade Jagr when we're only 3 points back, and we won't get much for him.  Of course we still have to see where we're at March 5.

I doubt anybody would trade for old UFA's to begin with.  I just don't think it's justifiable to trade Jagr when we're only 3 points back, and we won't get much for him.  Of course we still have to see where we're at March 5.

You never know. As you yourself said this is a weak draft. One of the higher seeded playoff bound teams might be willing to part with a high first for his presence on a team. He's put up nearly 50 points on an offensively challenged Devils team.

Edited by CarpathianForest

The thing is, we don't know if this team is unlikely to make the playoffs, when a lot of things point in the opposite direction.

You can certainly sell their negotiating rights at the draft or prior to.

I admire your optimism but I just can't get excited about this team.

Right now the Devils are 24th in the league. In the East there are 4 teams not in the playoffs that are ahead of the Devils. 2 of those teams have at least a game in hand on the Devils so the 3 point gap is misleading. The Devils could end up going on a run and still miss the playoffs with all the 3 point games that are bound to happen with these other teams.

Sports Club Stats has the Devils with a 33.1% chance to make the playoffs. Hockey Reference has the Devils odds at 22.6%. Playoff Status has the Devils with a 22% chance to make the playoffs.

Has Lou ever sold someones rights? I honestly can't think of it happening off the top of my head. Also, I seriously doubt any team would even bother trading for the rights to any of those guys anyway. Hypothetically, even if some team out there was willing to trade for them, you're not going to get nearly as much for the rights to those 3 players compared to what teams would give up to get a guy like Jagr for the playoff run.

I do not see Jagr being moved or even wanting to. Maybe that's just me? But he's bene moved so much over the past few years, no stability on two teams a year? There's a real chance he's tired of that and doesn't wanna go through it all over again.

With the way Jagr has bounced around since coming back, I really think he's been trying to get one last Cup. I don't see why he wouldn't want to move to a contender, especially since it would only be for a handful of months.