GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. New York Rangers 7PM MSG+

ZeroGravityFat

Larsson was absolutely fantastic tonight. I think it was his best game as an NHL player.

He was Johnny-on-the-spot with his clearings tonight. From my seats, it seemed as though everytime the Rangers got the puck to the slot and Larsson was on the ice, the puck was cleared the next second. Even if it was just to the boards, he killed chance after chance for them.

I also thought Larsson looked great tonight. He seems to be learning to read plays more and knows where to be in our own end. Also really liked what I saw from Butler. He's smart with the puck and was possibly the ONLY guy all night to actually complete a pass on an odd-man rush, just a shame it was to Jacob "Hands of Stone" Josefson because he deserved an assist there.

Edited by PWW

Sal needs to be stripped of the C. Give him an A back and run three alternates. I don't think he is able to fulfill that role.

I feel like this is definitely a bad Idea. He hasn't had much time, the team isn't exactly playing bad, and taking away the C could totally mess up the dynamic in the locker room. NJD just gave Sal the C and made a big deal about how right he was for the job, to revoke it now basically makes Sal, and the management look bad. Obviously Sal's morale would be shattered but also the teams morale as a whole would be shaken by doing something negative like this. I agree Sal hasn't been as consistent as he should be and he should be playing a bit better but Captain doesn't always have to be the person with the most skill. I can't see anything positive coming from taking away the C at this point.

Edited by NJDevils1214

Ah okay, I haven't been able to post, but it seems like it's a browser issue rather than a forum issue.

Anyway -

PK strong, got some lucky bounces, easy win.  Devils played strong defensive hockey, but those shot numbers are troubling.  Also interesting that Zidlicky only got 13 minutes and was taken off the #1 PP unit - we'll have to see how that progresses, taking a late penalty by pinching in during a 3-1 game can't have helped his cause much.

Edited by Triumph

interesting, i didn't realize Zidlicky's minutes were what they were.

im still uncomfortable with Kovy not getting anything on the board.  i think that's 1 assist in the last 6 games for him.  he REALLY needs to get going.

I loved what i saw from the second line tonight.  fourth line still gave us some energy.

im finally seeing something from Butler.  Speed is speed, and you can't coach against that.  If he can play consistent, and not make mistakes, then i will be glad to welcome him to the 3rd line.

Larsson was nice and, surprisingly, Green has been wearing on me the last couple games.  Good stuff.  

a win is a win, but I still think we need outside help

Edited by Onddeck

Larsson looked fantastic tonight! I think Stevens is really helping him out in practice and off the ice to help him really understand how to be an all star D-man in this league. Butler looked great tonight! Josefson will go on a streak I feel once he gets a goal. Kovy is fine and just in a slump, we know he will start scoring. Marty and the PK were both fantastic tonight and the main reasons we won. Keep it going Devils!

Edited by Prucenterrules

I missed the game but when I rewatched it, I noticed no fights. With no Rupp, Prust, Janssen, and Boulton in the lineup, I thought of a tweet from Adam Proteau of The Hockey News from earlier in the year.

I feel so sorry for games with no staged fights. How do players go a full 60 minutes when no tone has been set?

After last season, I didn't think it was possible for both teams to play this way. Happy it happened without those two stiffs for the Devils.

Oh that was excellent, listened to it in my cruiser & watched at the station a bit.

They sounded like they were in control most of the game. When I watched they looked good enough but certainly some scary moments. Brodeur was a God out there & stoked about the King Henrique goal!!

It feels nice to have the puck bounce out way against these turds. Nothing better than a Devils victory over the Queen of the Rags.

Lets keep it up! LGD!

Btw...

When the Devils were getting ready for the start of the season, practicing, scrimmaging against Albany and what not, I told my buddy I thought Butler was going to turn out to be a really good player. I was surprised when they put him on waivers and sent him back down. He should be here to stay.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

I loved that Henrique goal. Kid has tremendous hands...he didnt have much space and time and he absolutely laser beamed a perfect shot. He'll be a 30 goal scorer some day.

Saw bits and pieces of the game. Honestly it reminded me of a Devils-rags game in reverse from 05-12. In this instance we were outskated, outshot, and outchanced but Brodeur came up huge and we got plenty of fortunate bounces...and we cashed in on everything. Thats said I don't see the rags as the clear better team, they just had a ton of energy last night and badly wanted to beat us after how last season ended for them.

If you're the Rangers you're probably thinking "How the hell did we lose that one?"  For the forseeable future, it's looking like their big line is going to have to bury their chances (Nash not finishing that golden opportunity off really stung them), or they don't win.  Nash is only shooting 5.3%, but he's getting his shots (38 through 9 games)...his shooting% has been dropping in recent seasons (15.2, 13.0, 10.5, 9.8), but clearly he's not finishing the season at 5.3...pucks are going to start to go in for him, just like they will for Kovy (though getting one shot on goal in a game like last night won't help his cause much).

Kovalchuk need to be on the board soon... And i dont feel Zuby is a great fit for him... (man i love zubrus)

Maybe try butler qith travis and kovalchuk... Butler last night was wow, speed, nice backchecking, solid pass to josefson, great shot etc...

Love our number 9 (if he play like that no way he is going to the AHL)

What about Larsson! Man he was dominant, by far our best D no way we can bench him he brought speed, poised and composure with the puck, he wins 1 on 1 battle, the guy is just stronger physically than last year.

And last thing (negative one) Bryce Salvador is the slowest captain in NHL history (he wasnt bad last night but man he is slow)

Any new about gillis at the game scouting our game ?

They have a thread about this on HF. Here's the list as taken from there.

Jason Woolley (10-8-1993)

Turner Stevenson (4-10-1995)

Libor Zabransky (1-5-1997)

Xavier Delisle (10-6-2000)

Evgeny Korolev (3-24-2000)

Josh Langfeld (1-13-2004)

Chad Wiseman (1-15-2004)

Brad Moran (1-27-2004)

Jozef Balej (3-15-2004)

John Pohl (12-31-2005)

Jeff Tambellini (3-14-2006)

Evgeni Malkin (10-18-2006)

Lawrence Nycholat (12-26-2006)

Tomas Fleischmann (2-24-2007)

Darren Haydar (10-13-2007)

Marc Staal (11-14-2007)

Keith Aucoin (1-10-2008)

Brian Boyle (2-2-2008)

Ryan Carter (2-8-2008)

Kyle Okposo (3-21-2008)

Martins Karsums (4-3-2009)

Christian Hanson (4-7-2009)

Matt Gilroy (10-10-2009)

Tim Kennedy (10-28-2009)

Carl Gunnarson (1-29-2010)

Zack Boychuk (2-13-2010)

Jordan Caron (10-16-2010)

Andrew Gordon (12-21-2010)

Zac Dalpe (1-1-2011)

Ryan McDonagh (4-9-2011)

Matt Read (10-8-2011)

Mark Flood (11-5-2011)

Brendan Gallagher (1-27-2013)

Robert Bortuzzo (2-2-2013)

Chris Kreider (2-5-2013)

I'm sure there are some missing but that's a good start.

Doesn't surprise me, he'll give up at least 10 more first goals since he is a goalie who studies players to know what they will try. He has no info on the rookies so he usually guesses wrong.

I feel like this is definitely a bad Idea. He hasn't had much time, the team isn't exactly playing bad, and taking away the C could totally mess up the dynamic in the locker room. NJD just gave Sal the C and made a big deal about how right he was for the job, to revoke it now basically makes Sal, and the management look bad. Obviously Sal's morale would be shattered but also the teams morale as a whole would be shaken by doing something negative like this. I agree Sal hasn't been as consistent as he should be and he should be playing a bit better but Captain doesn't always have to be the person with the most skill. I can't see anything positive coming from taking away the C at this point.

^^^^ This is someone who gets it!

Kovy's production is down largely to the god awful power play. The three high umbrella system is terrible with kovy and zidlicky as they make questionable at best decisions with the puck.

Work it low to Elias on the half board, he's the best distributor on the team. Plus it's easy to target and spy Kovy if the puck is always on his stick