Kovalchuk Retired Effective Immediately?

GoArmySports

This just goes to show you how we shouldn't take players like Marty and Patty for granted. It's pretty special the kind of loyalty these guys have shown over the course of their careers. 

I was debating on which jersey between Kovy and Elias to buy since I already had a Brodeur and I have to say I'm glad I didn't splurge on Kovy. I think I'm just more shocked when to compared to upset at this point. The cap penalty is pennies and we now have 11 million free'd up for this upcoming season. I doubt will spend all of that but I highly expect Lou to make this team better before the start of the season.

I'm already over it and looking forward, which is all we can do. We need help on the right side. Sign Bruner, and Maybe Lou can find us a right winger, or two 

This is all because of Bettman and his douche bag crew of greedy fvcking owners.  I don't blame the player at all.  The league didn't honor his contract and it pissed him off (and many others).

This is the third time he's played this game, it has nothing to do with a lockout.    He's just a merc and he wanted his money.    Sometimes you gotta take things at face value, like his race to get 10-$90M and then having a hissy fit and threatening to go to SKA *then* when things caved in with that.

Maybe in the longview the Devils would have been best served to walk away then.

This is the third time he's played this game, it has nothing to do with a lockout.    He's just a merc and he wanted his money.    Sometimes you gotta take things at face value, like his race to get 10-$90M and then having a hissy fit and threatening to go to SKA *then* when things caved in with that.

Maybe in the longview the Devils would have been best served to walk away then.

'He wanted his money' 

'It has nothing to do with a lockout'

These two things don't add up.

• Like 1

'He wanted his money' 

'It has nothing to do with a lockout'

These two things don't add up.

When he pulled the same thing twice in 2010, it doesn't have much to do with a lockout.    He admitted that his mom had to keep him from walking because Johnny Mac was mean to him.   He's a bit of a flake.    He's been flirting with SKA for years, it was only a matter of time that it happened.   Earlier than I thought, yeah, but I figured it would come down to a yearly "kiss my ass" contest right around camp time to drag him back here.

When he pulled the same thing twice in 2010, it doesn't have much to do with a lockout.    He admitted that his mom had to keep him from walking because Johnny Mac was mean to him.   He's a bit of a flake.    He's been flirting with SKA for years, it was only a matter of time that it happened.   Earlier than I thought, yeah, but I figured it would come down to a yearly "kiss my ass" contest right around camp time to drag him back here.

How did he pull the same thing twice in 2010?  I don't remember him playing for SKA at all in 2010.

How did he pull the same thing twice in 2010?  I don't remember him playing for SKA at all in 2010.

Threatening to play for SKA.

2010:  After the first contract was nuked, he threatened to play for SKA.

2010:  According to him, he almost went home early in his first season under the contract and his mom had to talk him out of it.

2013:  Dragged his feet coming back, Russian media reports (which were played off as playing a domestic audience) said he was considering staying with SKA to at least finish the season.

2013:  "Retires" so he can play for SKA.

That's just what we know of.

Kovy was pretty pissed at the whole lockout thing and the owner not honouring contracts and all those buyouts. Plus when you have the president of the KHL telling you you could get twice the money and play in your country. Im sure this is all you have to know. I dont think its against the Devils but more against the NHL. 

But Kovy is extremely selfish. I mean maybe its not easy for him but you don't walk out on your employee leaving him in trouble like that, you at least try to do your best to help. Kovy playing next season for at least try to help the team in the playoffs and not giving away a top 10 pick that they have to forfeit because of HIM.

whats pissing me off the most is that we've been maybe not the ultimate laughing stock of the league but we're out there with all the sh!t that happened in the last few years. Cup run + Schneider and Larsson are some highlights through all that bullsh!t but still not even to me

How much realistally would Brunner be seeking?

he's looking for 3 to 3.5m

whats pissing me off the most is that we've been maybe not the ultimate laughing stock of the league but we're out there with all the sh!t that happened in the last few years. Cup run + Schneider and Larsson are some highlights through all that bullsh!t but still not even to me

This is so bad even Rangers fans write they feel bad for us on the web. Go figure.

Oates says it all.  Kovy probably wanted to be "THE STAR" of the NHL.  In NJ, he was just a part of an overall team that really never marketed him or made him feel like the superstar that he felt he deserved to be in the NHL.

The KHL will reverse that.  He will be their marquee guy and he will be all over the billboards.

Maybe he wanted to be like soccer's Christiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi and just realized that it wouldn't happen in NJ, so he bolted to the KHL.

Kovy playing next season for at least try to help the team in the playoffs and not giving away a top 10 pick that they have to forfeit because of HIM.

I know people are all emo tonight, but Kovy has absolutely nothing to do with us forfeiting the 1st round pick.. If you want to put that on someone you need to look to Bettman and the league, or to LL for circumventing the cap, if you agree with the leagues logic..

• Like 1

So Zach went home, Rafalski went home, Clarkson went home and now kovalchuk went home... who's next? Loktionov? 

why can't Van Riemsdyk, Ryan, Carlson and wtv want to come back here... NJ really have to start producing more talent lol

(i know ryan was a flyers fan)

who would think not only the rat would leave but Lou would let him admitting he knew how he felt even before last season. It sickening if they cared about the franchise why not announce it a month ago? Something stinks BIG TIME!

Commie Kovy where's my wallet that is his new name.... POS sorry guys this sucks we lost so much betting on his lying ass, and he has the balls to mention the fans in his FU speech, Lou knew something more or less because it just don't make sense! I hope the NHL bars him from showing his face back here and forces the KHL ( who had this planned since the lockout) to not allow him in the Olympics.

What kind of message does this send to other Russian or European players come play here and will pay you double look no taxes!

Also we want our first round pick back I know Bettman can't stand us so we won't be getting that back but other teams need to look real hard at what just took place! I know people are going to say hey we dodged a bad contract but we also lost a franchise player and next years first round pick.

Edited by Devs1965
  • Like 1

Wow, just got back from work to find out this? Arguably my favorite NHL player on my favorite team bolts just like that? Some of you can shrug this off all you want, unless Lou pulls a rabbit out of his hat this is  gonna be detrimental to the franchise, and not just on the ice either. Oates has a fair point to be fair; the Devils should have marketed him more so they can't escape any blame, but damn...

• Like 1