Your thought on today / about the team so far ?

SterioDesign

If I have moved goal posts, then I am falling into your habits.  You are the master at it.

I didn't say I agreed with the validity of +/- (although it is telling when a player establishes this year after year).   I made a statement, you made an erroneous response.   And when you were proven wrong you went in a different direction....and threw in more statistics to soften the blow, as you always do when your wrong.  

blaming chance is also another option of his when his numbers doesnt represent what he's trying to prove.

blaming chance is also another option of his when his numbers doesnt represent what he's trying to prove.

lol, another country heard from, way to be on the side of correctness.  Was Manta right about the stat he quoted?  He said Kovalchuk is a -41 as a Devil.  Is that true?

People easily forget, getting Schneider is an absolutely huge pickup. He isn't scoring goals but he will be pretty damn at stopping them.

IMHO, if during the stretch where Marty had a pinched nerve Schneider was here to play we could have made the playoffs last year.

People easily forget, getting Schneider is an absolutely huge pickup. He isn't scoring goals but he will be pretty damn at stopping them.

IMHO, if during the stretch where Marty had a pinched nerve Schneider was here to play we could have made the playoffs last year.

If anything had gone just a little bit better, we could have snuck in. It was the combo of Marty hurt, then Zubes, then Kovy and Moose having a terrible stretch when we needed him to play over his head.

oh i was not following the discussion just adding a general fact

does luck not sometimes factor in? In baseball where #s are more reliable it'd seem, there's still luck. In every facet of life there's luck. He's right more often than people who don't use advanced stats even if they're not perfect. There are some outliers with it like Daniel Winnick and so far Couturier and Kovy on the other end but for the most part, advanced stats do seem to work. Not everything can be 100% accurate though, and he's certainly right using the stats along w/ the eye test more than someone who just uses one or the other

edit: and when someone's citing +/- you know they have no idea what they're talking about

edit 2: just watch the Leafs next year as a litmus test for advanced stats. They were gonna fall off anyway bc they clearly got lucky this year no matter what their asst coach says, and they got rid of some of their best possession players (MacArthur/Grabbo/Frattin) and got nothing but a backup goalie back. They'll be horrible.

Edited by DH26

Hedberg couldn't score goals and had he stopped every shot every game we would have had the same problem because we weren't scoring goals. It's not all on Hedberg.

You don't think the goaltending was at fault? Here's my question: how come when the devils lose 1-0 you cry about how awful Marty is, but if Hedberg starts your honest response is "Hedberg doesn't score goals guyz!". I'm beginning to think you're Marty's ex wife.

I will admit that is a pretty correct observation.

This past season both goaltending (yes both Marty and Moose) as well as our offense were just awful.  We were losing games when we were outshooting opponents by a 2-1 and 3-1 margin.  Most of those times we were keeping the opposition to less than 20 shots so a ton goes on the shoulders of the goaltenders.

I just really hope PDB manages Schneider and Marty this season.  In a perfect world I think Marty should start no more than 20-25 games, but I know it will probably be closer to the reverse.  If Marty goes on a hot streak I can understand keeping him in, but I really do not think he should be the starter this year.

I guess I will wait and see but either way with everything that has gone down this off-season this will be an interesting team to watch.  I really do have an honest-to-god feeling that the Devils will be at least decent this year and make the playoffs.

I will admit that is a pretty correct observation.

This past season both goaltending (yes both Marty and Moose) as well as our offense were just awful.  We were losing games when we were outshooting opponents by a 2-1 and 3-1 margin.  Most of those times we were keeping the opposition to less than 20 shots so a ton goes on the shoulders of the goaltenders.

I just really hope PDB manages Schneider and Marty this season.  In a perfect world I think Marty should start no more than 20-25 games, but I know it will probably be closer to the reverse.  If Marty goes on a hot streak I can understand keeping him in, but I really do not think he should be the starter this year.

I guess I will wait and see but either way with everything that has gone down this off-season this will be an interesting team to watch.  I really do have an honest-to-god feeling that the Devils will be at least decent this year and make the playoffs.

Marty hasn't had a back up who has been light years better than him before. This year he will, and there will be no way to hide it if Schneider outplays him the way he should.

Marty hasn't had a back up who has been light years better than him before. This year he will, and there will be no way to hide it if Schneider outplays him the way he should.

That's true too, but some of Marty's comments he has made the past year or so about possibly becoming a backup has been a little disturbing.  I don't mind healthy competition between him and Schneider for the starting job as that will only raise their games and benefit the team, but I am worried if he reaches the point where he demands starting games when he should be.

For instance, I am just about 99.9% sure Marty will start the Yankee Stadium game.  Should he against a division rival who has a pretty good squad?  Probably not but since it is a once in a lifetime event he will.  However I will also admit I wouldn't hate on the Devils if he did start even if he was doing terribly up until that point as I would see it as a sort of retirement gift.

Seriously!! The Kovalchuk debacle got everyone forgetting about what was actually a really big deal for the franchise, the Schneider pickup. I feel good about our future as long as he's on the team.

That's true too, but some of Marty's comments he has made the past year or so about possibly becoming a backup has been a little disturbing.  I don't mind healthy competition between him and Schneider for the starting job as that will only raise their games and benefit the team, but I am worried if he reaches the point where he demands starting games when he should be.

For instance, I am just about 99.9% sure Marty will start the Yankee Stadium game.  Should he against a division rival who has a pretty good squad?  Probably not but since it is a once in a lifetime event he will.  However I will also admit I wouldn't hate on the Devils if he did start even if he was doing terribly up until that point as I would see it as a sort of retirement gift.

Don't forget, DeBoer has the balls to bench Marty and has done it before. Hopefully I'm not just being overly optimistic, but I think they'll be doing a good job at sharing the starts. Marty knows he's old.

Seriously!! The Kovalchuk debacle got everyone forgetting about what was actually a really big deal for the franchise, the Schneider pickup. I feel good about our future as long as he's on the team.

Don't forget, DeBoer has the balls to bench Marty and has done it before. Hopefully I'm not just being overly optimistic, but I think they'll be doing a good job at sharing the starts. Marty knows he's old.

That's the one hope I am holding on to lol.  PDB is the first coach I have seen to actually challenge Marty a bit and be true to his word of not starting him as much as in previous years.

I'm excited to see what larsson is capable of doing this season, he'll probably get 23+ minutes per game playing even strength, power play and penalty kill. Puck posession defensemen like him are few and far between but every team that has one is usually pretty successful.

We'll see I still think we'll add another piece, but I honestly think it ranges from very bad to very good. They need to score. This team dominated teams last year at times when Kovy was out. Out-shooting Ottawa 34-14 and 33-11, Toronto 32-13, Boston 40-26 during that 10 game span Kovy was out. I know shot total doesn't mean everything, but those of us that watched those games know we outplayed all those teams significantly in those games. They were all playoff teams and one was in the finals. I think most of us agreed despite losing Clarkson, due to the additions this was going to be a better team this year. So if without Kovy that team dominated playoff teams and a finals team this one can too. Problem is no one could bury the puck on those teams, so we could dominate and lose a lot of games because no one scores or some of these guys can start finding the back of the net and we can be very good. 

Lol to put things bluntly, we signed a couple of newfies, traded for a goalie who has yet to play a full season and our most talented player walked out. Ouch. Not complaining, just funny when you look at it that way. Im not expecting much out of this team, just show a goddamn pulse.

Lol to put things bluntly, we signed a couple of newfies, traded for a goalie who has yet to play a full season and our most talented player walked out. Ouch. Not complaining, just funny when you look at it that way. Im not expecting much out of this team, just show a goddamn pulse.

Well that's the doom and gloom way to look at it, yes lol...

You don't think the goaltending was at fault? Here's my question: how come when the devils lose 1-0 you cry about how awful Marty is, but if Hedberg starts your honest response is "Hedberg doesn't score goals guyz!". I'm beginning to think you're Marty's ex wife.

Listen you little snot nosed college kid with a fvcking big mouth I don't care what you think ass hole. You'll never understand because you can't comprehend. Now get off my ass sh!t head.