DiPietro out Indefintely

StormJosh

This used to make me laugh, now not so much. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for him. If its something you love the money will make little difference.

I would like to think that what keeps guys going is the love and need to play hockey, and if you can't, that must be devestating.

This used to make me laugh, now not so much. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for him. If its something you love the money will make little difference.

I would like to think that what keeps guys going is the love and need to play hockey, and if you can't, that must be devestating.

Agreed, I really feel bad for the guy, I hope he can become a normal everyday player again someday.

Too bad for Islanders and especially DePietro.

Islanders look pretty good so far. I don't hope they have a good year necessarily... especially at the expense of the devils... But hopefully they don't suck because of injuries which was partly the case last year.

From the link above: He added some of his characteristic humor to lighten the mood. He said, “On the bright side, the puck didn’t go into the net so it counts as a save. I just have to shake it off and keep a positive outlook.”

Edited by devils102

The Islanders are doomed with DiPietro... if he didn't exist, then Milbury likely works his issues out with Luongo more and keeps him in the organization and they draft either Gaborik or Heatley... wowzers. (and hopefully not Torres like they picked at the #5 overall)

The Islanders traded up to grab Luongo with the 4th overall pick in '97. Luongo signs with them out of juniors in 99.

Luongo does good, and passes Felix Potvin on the depth chart, so they trade Potvin.

In early '00, Luongo looks for an apartment on game day and has a poor performance which pissed Milbury off... so much so, he decides Luongo isn't going to be the star goalie he thought -simplified, I can only imagine.

In the 2000 draft, they go goalie 1st overall with Rick DiPietro - then send Luongo and Ollie Jokinen to the Panthers for Kvasha and Parrish...

DiPietro does alright... and in Sep 05, the Isles tried signing him to a 15 year deal... but the league discouraged it... but then in '06 he did sign it; played two seasons of it, and has pretty much been injured since.

The Islanders are doomed with DiPietro... if he didn't exist, then Milbury likely works his issues out with Luongo more and keeps him in the organization and they draft either Gaborik or Heatley... wowzers. (and hopefully not Torres like they picked at the #5 overall)

The Islanders traded up to grab Luongo with the 4th overall pick in '97. Luongo signs with them out of juniors in 99.

Luongo does good, and passes Felix Potvin on the depth chart, so they trade Potvin.

In early '00, Luongo looks for an apartment on game day and has a poor performance which pissed Milbury off... so much so, he decides Luongo isn't going to be the star goalie he thought -simplified, I can only imagine.

In the 2000 draft, they go goalie 1st overall with Rick DiPietro - then send Luongo and Ollie Jokinen to the Panthers for Kvasha and Parrish...

DiPietro does alright... and in Sep 05, the Isles tried signing him to a 15 year deal... but the league discouraged it... but then in '06 he did sign it; played two seasons of it, and has pretty much been injured since.

damnnnnn... just a disaster. that poor franchise

damnnnnn... just a disaster. that poor franchise

I can't blame the Isles if they honestly thought DiPietro was going to be better than Luongo... we had a solid #1 in his prime in Sean Burke, and used our 1st rounder on Brodeur... although he wasn't #1 overall, nor was he even the first goalie taken.

Luongo seems to rub people the wrong way... both times he was traded he was "shocked". His Florida situation was just as strange; they were working on a new deal and he insisted that they resign the backup goalie, sign a specefic goalie coach, and make a public statement that they would not trade him... when he got traded to Vancouver, he was a bit surprised because he thought their new deal was almost done.

drafting a goalie that high is always a bad move. what the islanders ended up doing was trading the better goalie and a better player for 2 average-ish forwards, then drafting a goalie instead of dany heatley or marian gaborik or whomever else was on their radar. it's a completely nutty move.

unfortunately the trend of people drafting goalies really high seems to have stopped. imagine how good pittsburgh would be without M.A. Fleury and with eric staal or nathan horton instead?

drafting a goalie that high is always a bad move. what the islanders ended up doing was trading the better goalie and a better player for 2 average-ish forwards, then drafting a goalie instead of dany heatley or marian gaborik or whomever else was on their radar. it's a completely nutty move.

unfortunately the trend of people drafting goalies really high seems to have stopped. imagine how good pittsburgh would be without M.A. Fleury and with eric staal or nathan horton instead?

Agreed. It's incredibly stupid to waste your top 5/10 pick on a goalie... and for the most part, I don't think they should be drafted at all until the 4th round... I don't know how to scout, but of any position, it looks like goaltending is the most difficult because it's the most complex to finely tune and to project to be a top 30 goalie in the world. Meanwhile, forwards and D... you can shift them up or down a line, change their position (fowards, mostly), etc

Then again... the Isles for the most part have been wasting 1st round picks for a good portion of a decade... Espeically early 2000's:

In 1997... they drafted Roberto Luongo 4th overall...

In 1998... they drafted Mike Rupp 9th overall...

In 1999.... they drafted Tim Connolly 5th overall...

In 2000... they drafted Rick DiPietro 1st overall, Raffi Torres 5th overall

In 2001... fvck. They traded Chara and their 1st round, 2nd overall pick (Spezza) for Yashin and signed him to a 10 year deal.

In 2002... they drafted Sean Bergenheim with the 22nd overall... (no way of knowing, but Cam Ward goes 25 in this draft)

In 2003... fvck. They will forever be mocked for this. They draft Frans Nilsson at 15, passing on the expected Zach Parise pick (who went 17 to us :D)

In 2004... They draft Petteri Nokelainen 16th overall... (we grabbed Zajac at 20)

In 2005... they draft Ryan O'Marra 15th overall.

In 2006... they draft Kyle Okposo 7th overall... it doesn't look like they could miss this year, most of the players in the upper 1st round are decent

In 2007... they did not have a 1st round pick... a lot bailed out of this draft's 1st round

In 2008... they draft Josh Bailey 9th overall

In 2009... They draft John Tavares 1st overall.

In 2010... They draft Nino Niederreiter 5th overall...

In 2011... They draft Ryan Strome 5th overall...

Agreed. It's incredibly stupid to waste your top 5/10 pick on a goalie... and for the most part, I don't think they should be drafted at all until the 4th round... I don't know how to scout, but of any position, it looks like goaltending is the most difficult because it's the most complex to finely tune and to project to be a top 30 goalie in the world. Meanwhile, forwards and D... you can shift them up or down a line, change their position (fowards, mostly), etc

Then again... the Isles for the most part have been wasting 1st round picks for a good portion of a decade... Espeically early 2000's:

In 1997... they drafted Roberto Luongo 4th overall...

In 1998... they drafted Mike Rupp 9th overall...

In 1999.... they drafted Tim Connolly 5th overall...

In 2000... they drafted Rick DiPietro 1st overall, Raffi Torres 5th overall

In 2001... fvck. They traded Chara and their 1st round, 2nd overall pick (Spezza) for Yashin and signed him to a 10 year deal.

In 2002... they drafted Sean Bergenheim with the 22nd overall... (no way of knowing, but Cam Ward goes 25 in this draft)

In 2003... fvck. They will forever be mocked for this. They draft Frans Nilsson at 15, passing on the expected Zach Parise pick (who went 17 to us :D)

In 2004... They draft Petteri Nokelainen 16th overall... (we grabbed Zajac at 20)

In 2005... they draft Ryan O'Marra 15th overall.

In 2006... they draft Kyle Okposo 7th overall... it doesn't look like they could miss this year, most of the players in the upper 1st round are decent

In 2007... they did not have a 1st round pick... a lot bailed out of this draft's 1st round

In 2008... they draft Josh Bailey 9th overall

In 2009... They draft John Tavares 1st overall.

In 2010... They draft Nino Niederreiter 5th overall...

In 2011... They draft Ryan Strome 5th overall...

The wonders of Mike Milbury. Never has a man done so much to kill a franchise. He stepped down in 2006, and the Island is just now starting to recover.