Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

and then not match poni....lou is losing it

Why match him, he was clogging a roster spot. He served his spot as a deadline pending UFA merc, now go on your way. I guess you could argue he's sort of a value at his price, but I don't think he's anything worth saving a spot for.

Was just thinking about that. If Marty decides that he's had enough after this season, that 35+ rule comes into play. If we're up against the cap and need more players, then it's bad. If we're struggling to stay afloat financially, then I guess having a cap hit that helps us reach the floor while not having to pay the player works to the team's advantage.

Good point by both you and Tri. I didn't think about it that way, mainly because we've been up against the cap and struggling to get under for so long now that I just assume they're close to the ceiling every year.

So roughly half of those goalies had comfortably winning records. Yes, the other stats tend to be a little shaky, but for purposes of drat position it's the W column that counts. Marty is probably as good if not better than the other options out that are out there. And even without Zach, we're still a good team, and most likely still a playoff team.

This is not to say that I agree with keeping this year's pick. It was a weak draft where we had the second to last pick in the first round. We could have Corey Schneider in net, it's highly unlikely we're drafting that low in the next to years.

I am a little surprised at the amount of fans in here nitpicking this deal. It's Martin "Bleeping" Brodeur, our all-time greatest player ... the "Franchise." Did he win the Vezina last year? No, of course not. But he did still get us two games away from the championship.

I have no problems with the contract length or amount. I am simply very very happy Lou and Marty got it done.

And if you're still that down on him, don't worry, in two years max, he'll be gone for good.

• Like 1

Well if goaltending performance is so random, and we don't know who the good goalies are, maybe Brodeur will be a good one the next two years... :noclue:

This signing doesn't make sense as a hockey move, but makes sense as a marketing move. The NHL's a business at its heart, what can you do if you're Lou/Van Der Beek and one of the focal points of your entire business plan is walking away?

So roughly half of those goalies had comfortably winning records. Yes, the other stats tend to be a little shaky, but for purposes of drat position it's the W column that counts. Marty is probably as good if not better than the other options out that are out there. And even without Zach, we're still a good team, and most likely still a playoff team.

This is not to say that I agree with keeping this year's pick. It was a weak draft where we had the second to last pick in the first round. We could have Corey Schneider in net, it's highly unlikely we're drafting that low in the next to years.

3 of those results are Dominik Hasek who played for the best teams post-lockout.

As I've argued, I think a #29 pick now is worth a #20 pick in 2 years, but the Devils have absolutely no guarantee of putting themselves in that position, not with ol' slow-starts in net.

Well if goaltending performance is so random, and we don't know who the good goalies are, maybe Brodeur will be a good one the next two years... :noclue:

This signing doesn't make sense as a hockey move, but makes sense as a marketing move. The NHL's a business at its heart, what can you do if you're Lou/Van Der Beek and one of the focal points of your entire business plan is walking away?

Who else was going to tend nets next year?

:rolleyes: Never mind.

Also who would you suggest as the ready to go replacement. Off the 2012 UFA list Marty is clearly the best Goaltender. So are you suggesting we trade assets and future depth in a trade? Because that long term looks like a worse option to me.

Assume Marty retired after this past season, who would have been the goalie for the Devils? Lou created this situation. What if Marty is terrible this coming season will you be happy to have him back another year? If he retires because of he isn't playing well after the first year the Devils get screwed in the second year of contract thanks to greed. Marty being 40 didn't come as a surprise to anyone. Poor planning on the Devils part.

I am a little surprised at the amount of fans in here nitpicking this deal. It's Martin "Bleeping" Brodeur, our all-time greatest player ... the "Franchise." Did he win the Vezina last year? No, of course not. But he did still get us two games away from the championship.

I have no problems with the contract length or amount. I am simply very very happy Lou and Marty got it done.

And if you're still that down on him, don't worry, in two years max, he'll be gone for good.

I think people are super sensitive right now with the Zach thing going on. There was no option looking to play for the Devils that would do better than Marty for less money, so it was the right deal for all parties. The second year is a little much, but all of our prospects are at the very least 2 years away. Frazee's chance seems to have come and gone unfortunately, Kinkaid didn't play any better than Frazee so he isn't there yet, Wedgewood needs a couple of years in the minors, and Clermont hardly got playing time in the ECHL last year. I think it's pretty definite that we see Moose signed today at some point.

I'm very happy about this deal. We really couldn't afford to lose Marty this summer - we had absolutely no plan B. Is 2 years too long? We'll only be able to tell after next year, but if that's what it took to keep him (and that's what the writers suggest), so be it. That's the thing about free agency: you can't have everything go your way, gotta give something to the player. Marty in NJ for 2 years > Marty in Toronto.

If you think he's overpaid... The guy's coming off his best playoffs in 9 years and he's a legend. What exactly did you expect him to make? I'm fine with these numbers, we have the cap space and the extra million or so won't affect Parise. If anything, Brodeur staying can only be an argument for Parise for re-signing, too. I imagine his faith in the organization must be peaking after everything that happened in the last few months.

Assume Marty retired after this past season, who would have been the goalie for the Devils? Lou created this situation. What if Marty is terrible this coming season will you be happy to have him back another year? If he retires because of he isn't playing well after the first year the Devils get screwed in the second year of contract thanks to greed. Marty being 40 didn't come as a surprise to anyone. Poor planning on the Devils part.

To many what if's in that statement. I am sure if Marty had indicated he was retiring Lou would have made plans. I am of the opinion Marty had decided he would be coming back well before the end of the regular season, therefore the situation never presented itself.

By the same standard what if he plays well this year?

I can’t see there being such a huge drop off. At worst he is a more than serviceable Goalie to split time with someone by the end of the year.

So what if Marty had decided to retire, what is your master plan, given the incredibly poor UFA crop and our lack of assets??

If you expand your search to ages 39-46 you'll find that Marty's season this past year ranks him #6 on that list in save percentage and second in wins. Not terrible, really.

Yeah, because a .908 save percentage is what you want. I mean, some of that is the Prudential home scoring, but still, how can that give you more faith?

The only thing that's good about that list is that there aren't many 40 year old goalies and a lot of them came back when save percentage was wonky because there were 500 power plays a season (2005-06).