2011-2012 Miami Dolphins (Offseason) Thread

Hi, I'm VALUE!

As I was telling Brian this afternoon, I think that taking Flynn AND his OC might be a good combo....not like Miami doesn't have weapons to take advantage of as well, this could work out actually......

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually a good hire I think. I truly thought they'd hire McCoy which I would've hated. But I can get on board with Philbin because of the Flynn factor, and the fact that Philbin can build a much stronger staff than McCoy could. His offenses have been in the top 10 in scoring for 5 straight years. Rodgers credited Philbin with a great deal of his development too, and that carries weight. Let's hope for the best.

Your coach was inexperienced too- a specials teams coach when Baltimore hired him. And he's coaching in the AFC Championship game tomorrow. So exactly- we wait and see.

Fair enough, but Harbaugh has a strong coaching pedigree and the league's best GM.

WIthout a strong front office with an actual scouting team, he may have the standard three and out kind of career in Miami.

You could have had Fisher, if you had a better GM.

Fair enough, but Harbaugh has a strong coaching pedigree and the league's best GM.

WIthout a strong front office with an actual scouting team, he may have the standard three and out kind of career in Miami.

You could have had Fisher, if you had a better GM.

Meh, Ireland is a douchebag, but he's not a terrible GM. He's not a bad evaluator of talent. I don't blame Ross for not giving Fisher final say, its never worked out for us in the past with coaches who also run personnel. Everyone in Green Bay- from players, to coaches, to fans- speak highly of Philbin. I'm excited to see what we do at QB and in free agency and the draft. I'm usually a glass half empty guy when it comes to the Fins, but I think this has the potential to be a very solid hire. We'll see.

Edited by MadDog2020

Meh, Ireland is a douchebag, but he's not a terrible GM. He's not a bad evaluator of talent. I don't blame Ross for not giving Fisher final say, its never worked out for us in the past with coaches who also run personnel. Everyone in Green Bay- from players, to coaches, to fans- speak highly of Philbin. I'm excited to see what we do at QB and in free agency and the draft. I'm usually a glass half empty guy when it comes to the Fins, but I think this has the potential to be a very solid hire. We'll see.

Philbin is very respected, but is a coach upstairs, not involved in the play calling at all. If you really wanted to hire someone, Oakland took him as GM.

Ireland???? He has sucked in terms of evaluator of talent, at least in the early rounds of the draft.

Philbin is very respected, but is a coach upstairs, not involved in the play calling at all. If you really wanted to hire someone, Oakland took him as GM.

Ireland???? He has sucked in terms of evaluator of talent, at least in the early rounds of the draft.

Right. Jake Long, Mike Pouncey, Vontae Davis, Jared Odrick, Charles Clay, Brandon Marshall Cameron Wake, Davone Bess, Karlos Dansby, Reggie Bush... All guys Ireland brought in, or had a hand in bringing in. There are some pretty good players there. And 2011 was the first draft where he got to run the show and make the final decision sans Parcells (Parcells had the final say until he left before the 2010 season), and it was the best draft top-to-bottom since the Parcells regime arrived in 2008. I'm not saying Jeff Ireland is Ozzie Newsome or Ron Wolf- but he's not as bad as some people make him out to be. And Philbin constructed the gameplans, ran the meetings, was in charge of the halftime adjustments, and Rodgers himself credited him with a large part of his development into an elite QB. I don't give a sh!t that he didn't call plays. Cam Cameron called plays.

Right. Jake Long, Mike Pouncey, Vontae Davis, Jared Odrick, Charles Clay, Brandon Marshall Cameron Wake, Davone Bess, Karlos Dansby, Reggie Bush... All guys Ireland brought in, or had a hand in bringing in. There are some pretty good players there. And 2011 was the first draft where he got to run the show and make the final decision sans Parcells (Parcells had the final say until he left before the 2010 season), and it was the best draft top-to-bottom since the Parcells regime arrived in 2008. I'm not saying Jeff Ireland is Ozzie Newsome or Ron Wolf- but he's not as bad as some people make him out to be. And Philbin constructed the gameplans, ran the meetings, was in charge of the halftime adjustments, and Rodgers himself credited him with a large part of his development into an elite QB. I don't give a sh!t that he didn't call plays. Cam Cameron called plays.

Which round did Ireland draft Brandon Marshall and Reggie Bush??? Chad Henne?? Ted Ginn?? etc.

Which round did Ireland draft Brandon Marshall and Reggie Bush??? Chad Henne?? Ted Ginn?? etc.

You're missing the point- the point is Ireland is not a bad GM. I'm not gonna get into a pissing match when I already know I'm right. Maybe your GM can find a new kicker this offseason.

You're missing the point- the point is Ireland is not a bad GM. I'm not gonna get into a pissing match when I already know I'm right. Maybe your GM can find a new kicker this offseason.

No, you are missing the point. I said he was not a very good evaluator of talent in the early rounds of the NFL draft. Wasted high end potentially franchise players.

Our kicker has been hurt for the past month, otherwise he is an all-pro. He still should have made that kick,

No, you are missing the point. I said he was not a very good evaluator of talent in the early rounds of the NFL draft. Wasted high end potentially franchise players.

Our kicker has been hurt for the past month, otherwise he is an all-pro. He still should have made that kick,

Considering last year was the first draft where he got to run the show himself- with the final say on who to pick- I'll wait before I say he can't draft. Parcells gets the blame from most of Fins Nation for the drafts of 2008-2010. And re: yesterday: Harbaugh should've called timeout. I'd be killing him for that if I was a Ravens fan. Why keep that timeout in your pocket? Horrible decision. But Cundiff should've been ready too, so that's on him.

Edited by MadDog2020

Considering last year was the first draft where he got to run the show himself- with the final say on who to pick- I'll wait before I say he can't draft. Parcells gets the blame from most of Fins Nation for the drafts of 2008-2010. And re: yesterday: Harbaugh should've called timeout. I'd be killing him for that if I was a Ravens fan. Why keep that timeout in your pocket? Horrible decision. But Cundiff should've been ready too, so that's on him.

I thought Ireland was the GM and Parcells allowed him to make the selections and evalutate? I could be wrong.

I am not going to question Harbaugh, he can't make Evans catch the ball or Flacco to make the right decision and run for the first. He will work on these next year. But Harbaugh just keeps winning and has nothing to be ashamed about for yesterday.

I thought Ireland was the GM and Parcells allowed him to make the selections and evalutate? I could be wrong.

I am not going to question Harbaugh, he can't make Evans catch the ball or Flacco to make the right decision and run for the first. He will work on these next year. But Harbaugh just keeps winning and has nothing to be ashamed about for yesterday.

Ireland did the bulk of the scouting and gave his evaluations to Parcells, but Parcells made the final decision on who to pick (it was Parcells who wanted Pat White for example, not Ireland- Ireland advised against picking White as a matter of fact, but Parcells did what he wanted and ignored Ireland). Last year's draft was the first that Ireland was truly in charge of, and it was a pretty good draft- best of the last 5 years top to bottom for sure.

What are your thoughts on the QB situation? I think if Manning is cut and healthy, he'd be the best possible pickup...but there's gonna be 20 teams looking to get him. I'm not 100% sold on Flynn. He was good in his TWO starts...but he only had TWO starts. It screams Kevin Kolb to me. And I think RGIII is gonna be WAAAAAAAY too expensive to get. Is he worth mortgaging the entire draft and probably next years as well? I don't know who else is out there aside from these 3. But it seems the Phins are not looking to give Moore a full season to run the show. So...who do you think it will be?

If it were me I'd see if I could get a fair eval of Flynn out of Philbin. A lot will be determined regarding his market value based on how Miami will play this, since they have the most inside knowledge of strengths and weaknesses. I think if Miami hard-charges, they could force other teams to bid high, meanwhile if they slow play it, teams will wonder what they know.

Manning won't happen unless Miami's where he really wants to be. And if he's still playing, I can't see it...he's going to look for a team that's a quarterback away from Super Bowl contention (Houston, SF, and maybe Seattle, I'm looking at you). I don't think he goes to NY but nothing would surprise me if he gets cut and/or restructures his contract.

Since Miami has become a place where quarterbacks seek redemption, I wouldn't be surprised if Jason Campbell is brought in. He won't be a Raider this coming year and might be the best value of the bunch in a trade or sign scenario. But I'm unconvinced that he's an upgrade from Moore.

The booby prize might be Kolb, who's due $7 million of a roster bonus this coming year. Arizona would have to be batsh!t crazy to pay him that, he was essentially a healthy scratch for the last 2-3 games.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!

Ireland did the bulk of the scouting and gave his evaluations to Parcells, but Parcells made the final decision on who to pick (it was Parcells who wanted Pat White for example, not Ireland- Ireland advised against picking White as a matter of fact, but Parcells did what he wanted and ignored Ireland). Last year's draft was the first that Ireland was truly in charge of, and it was a pretty good draft- best of the last 5 years top to bottom for sure.

Fair enough. The Fins draft last year was very good, so maybe you DO have something here.

Fair enough. The Fins draft last year was very good, so maybe you DO have something here.

I don't know if you can say that. Pouncey appears to have been a good pick, but the jury is still out on the remainder. I'm not convinced about Daniel Thomas, and was hugely disappointed when we passed on Mallett.

I don't know if you can say that. Pouncey appears to have been a good pick, but the jury is still out on the remainder. I'm not convinced about Daniel Thomas, and was hugely disappointed when we passed on Mallett.

I think Thomas will be a good compliment to Bush if he can stay healthy. His biggest problem last year was staying on the field, I think he missed 4 or 5 games with a nagging groin injury. Charles Clay looks like a steal in the 3rd and Jimmy Wilson was a GREAT get in the 7th round. Clyde Gates has a lot of work to do still, but he showed improvement as the season went on as well.

I think Thomas will be a good compliment to Bush if he can stay healthy. His biggest problem last year was staying on the field, I think he missed 4 or 5 games with a nagging groin injury. Charles Clay looks like a steal in the 3rd and Jimmy Wilson was a GREAT get in the 7th round. Clyde Gates has a lot of work to do still, but he showed improvement as the season went on as well.

Edited by MadDog2020