2013-14 OOT Thread

Daniel

Games in hand have even out and Devils have slipped further behind. A long winning run is needed but hasn't happened this season. Too many teams to jump. Our best offensive guys are going to the OLYMPICS when they return they may be injured or tired or both, not looking good.

Edited by LucifersDog

I said that in the last sentence,you just repeated what I said.

Well, he's gotta get his 20-posts-a-day quota filled one way or another.

Anyway, one and only good thing to come out of yesterday is now the Devils have a pretty good idea of exactly where they stand with 25 games left on the schedule:

Detroit:  57 GP, 64 Pts

Columbus:  57 GP, 63 Pts

Ottawa:  58 GP, 63 Pts

Washington:  58 GP, 61 Pts

Carolina:  55 GP, 59 Pts

Devils:  57 GP, 59 Pts

For a team that's not completely out of it, it doesn't get much uglier than this.  For one, as we saw last night, having to constantly hope that the teams ahead of you lose is playing with fool's gold.  For another, with all of the games these teams will play against each other, someone is always going to come away with 2 more points in those games, and even worse, there will be nights where both teams come away with points. 

The way I see it, if the Devils don't come away with at least 9 points over the next six games before the deadline, they should probably sell.  I never like to bail on a potential playoff team, especially with one that has a goalie capable of helping his team steal games, but the Devils have simply let too many points slip away over the season...the opportunities to put up more wins than they have to date have been there, and the Devils haven't made the most of them.  If they go a very meh 3-2-1 or something like that over the next six, which would make them a very blah 6-5-4 over 15 games, why should I believe that they're suddenly going to put it all together consistently over their season's final 19 games, when they haven't really done it all season? 

Anyway, guess I'll worry about who the Devils should move when the time comes.  For now, I'm hoping for 4-1-1 in the next six or better. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

There's 6 games left before the trade deadline.  3 are against teams we're chasing.  Let's see where we're at then.  If we're 6 or more points out, then we should sell.  If we're 5 or fewer points out, then we should buy.  If we're actually in a playoff position come March 5, we should go all in.

You're continuing to look at this the wrong way.  For one, 5 points with 19 games left on the schedule is a lot to overcome.  For another, you actually have to start paying attention to the fact that there's likely to be at least two more teams ahead of the Devils...you seem to want to downplay the significance of that.  Trailing the final WC team by five points with other teams trailing you by a few points is a lot different that trailing the final WC team by five points, two more teams by four, and yet another by two.  The only way you really make headway into standings like that to get yourself into true contention is to go on a serious point% streak...say, .750 (at least) over a 10-game stretch.  It's like what has been said multiple times, the Devils aren't going to just have to play a little better to nab a playoff berth.  They're probably going to have go 8 over NHL .500 the rest of the way to have a true shot at this.  16-8-1, 15-7-3, or 14-6-5.  That's a huge jump over what they've done to date.  Not saying it CAN'T happen, but they need to show that it can happen starting NOW. 

You're continuing to look at this the wrong way. For one, 5 points with 19 games left on the schedule is a lot to overcome. For another, you actually have to start paying attention to the fact that there's likely to be at least two more teams ahead of the Devils...you seem to want to downplay the significance of that. Trailing the final WC team by five points with other teams trailing you by a few points is a lot different that trailing the final WC team by five points, two more teams by four, and yet another by two. The only way you really make headway into standings like that to get yourself into true contention is to go on a serious point% streak...say, .750 (at least) over a 10-game stretch. It's like what has been said multiple times, the Devils aren't going to just have to play a little better to nab a playoff berth. They're probably going to have go 8 over NHL .500 the rest of the way to have a true shot at this. 16-8-1, 15-7-3, or 14-6-5. That's a huge jump over what they've done to date. Not saying it CAN'T happen, but they need to show that it can happen starting NOW.

Minus a major trade that shakes up the team, this team isn't going on any kind of run like that, and I think in our heart of hearts, we all know that. They haven't won 4 games in a row in almost a calendar year. They are what they are.

we also know damn well just like the 2 years we missed the playoffs that the teams we're racing with WILL play against each other and go in OT/SO 90% of the time.

plus seriously, not that i dont want to believe in this team... but did they at ANY point in the season showed that they can go on a winning streak and stay consistant? 

Edited by SterioDesign

Minus a major trade that shakes up the team, this team isn't going on any kind of run like that, and I think in our heart of hearts, we all know that. They haven't won 4 games in a row in almost a calendar year. They are what they are.

we also know damn well just like the 2 years we missed the playoffs that the teams we're racing with WILL play against each other and go in OT/SO 90% of the time.

plus seriously, not that i dont want to believe in this team... but did they at ANY point in the season showed that they can go on a winning streak and stay consistant?

That's why it's now or never.  Wanna show something?  Do it now.  If significant headway isn't made in the next 6 games, forget about it.   

So five points out now...people can't keep saying we're 'only x number of points' out at this rate.

Overreacting. We now have a game in hand on Philly, New York, and Washington. Tonight and tomorrow are really the fork in the road, the true indication of what will go down in March and April.

Overreacting. We now have a game in hand on Philly, New York, and Washington. Tonight and tomorrow are really the fork in the road, the true indication of what will go down in March and April.

Winning two in a row isn't enough, though it'd be a nice start.  It won't mean much if the Devils lose two their next after the break.  They need to do something significant...no more treading water.   

I'm with you on this SD - luck hasn't been on the Devils' side this season so far (that PDO thread shows it), and there's no reason to assume it'll start now. 

There's no reason to trade off prospects or picks with the hopes that this team will suddenly show an ability to put a significant win streak together.  It's an average roster...the fact we're in even playoff discussion is an accomplishment, I think.  

I'm with you on this SD - luck hasn't been on the Devils' side this season so far (that PDO thread shows it), and there's no reason to assume it'll start now.

There's no reason to trade off prospects or picks with the hopes that this team will suddenly show an ability to put a significant win streak together. It's an average roster...the fact we're in even playoff discussion is an accomplishment, I think.

i think everyone is in agreement that we shouldn't trade prospects or picks for rentals. Any of the defense prospects should only go in a package for a long term top 6 forward solution.

The debate at mostly has been whether we could get a rental for someone who isn't part of the future (ie zidlicky Brunner or fayne) or if we should just be outright sellers and let go of jagr.

Edited by dmann422

Wow, Letang had a stroke... 

Yikes... out at least 6 weeks, expecting full recovery with blood thinners according to the Pens twitter. Crazy. That guy has had a really tough few months.

Edit... i should say full recovery health-wise, and that it isn't expected to be career threatening. Scary stuff.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

Winning two in a row isn't enough, though it'd be a nice start.  It won't mean much if the Devils lose two their next after the break.  They need to do something significant...no more treading water.   

Agree 100%, but people getting down that "we're now 5 points out of a playoff spot", but not taking into consideration we've now got a game in hand for the first time in a long time, is misleading and no different position than we've been in for a month or so, if we can get 3-4 points tonight and tomorrow.

Edited by DJ Eco

Agree 100%, but people getting down that "we're now 5 points out of a playoff spot", but not taking into consideration we've now got a game in hand for the first time in a long time, is misleading and no different position than we've been in for a month or so, if we can get 3-4 points tonight and tomorrow.

The game in hand isn't on the team with the 5-point lead though.  Detroit and NJ are tied in number of games played (57).  They have a game in hand on Washington and Ottawa.   

The game in hand isn't on the team with the 5-point lead though. Detroit and NJ are tied in number of games played (57). They have a game in hand on Washington and Ottawa.

we have one in hand against the flyers who are in the last metro playoff spot. I think that's what he meant.

Off topic a little but I still can't stand this format- it's annoying as hell with the crazy wild card.

The game in hand isn't on the team with the 5-point lead though.  Detroit and NJ are tied in number of games played (57).  They have a game in hand on Washington and Ottawa.   

I'm still keeping my siights on 3rd place in our Division, which is Philly and the Rangers one point ahead. I don't see either of them as locks in 2nd/3rd, they're both very reachable, and for the first time we have a game in hand on them and not the other way around. Which is why I think the "digging ourselves a deeper hole" is misleading. If we lose tonight, we will be in fact "digging ourselves a deeper hole", but we're not more than a point or so further out than we were a week ago, just need to game some ground, which is all very doable, while teams like the Rangers and Flyers come back to earth from their respective winning runs (which they are).

Edited by DJ Eco

I'm still keeping my siights on 3rd place in our Division, which is Philly and the Rangers one point ahead. I don't see either of them as locks in 2nd/3rd, they're both very reachable, and for the first time we have a game in hand on them and not the other way around. Which is why I think the "digging ourselves a deeper hole" is misleading. If we lose tonight, we will be in fact "digging ourselves a deeper hole", but we're not more than a point or so further out than we were a week ago, just need to game some ground, which is all very doable, while teams like the Rangers and Flyers come back to earth from their respective winning runs (which they are).

I think it's pretty agreed that the spot is reachable. The issue more seems to be can the Devils actually put a string together that would close the point gap? This is a team that has only managed to win more than 2 in a row once all year, and that was a 3 game win streak in November. I'll pull for them to the end as always, but the pieces don't seem to be coming together this year.

Columbus lost in regulation to SJ, good result.

for Saturday

Flames at Flyers - Go Calgary

Senators at Bruins - Go Boston

Canadiens at Hurricanes - Go Montreal

Red WIngs at Lightning - Go Tampa

I just want the bottom 2 games to end in regulation.  All 4 of those teams are within reach.

I've been focusing so hard on the WC spot that I wasn't really thinking about the 3rd spot in the Metro.  Yeah, right now the Devils are technically closer to that than they are the final WC berth.  Hard to believe they could be just one point behind the Flyers if all goes well tonight.  That'd be a hell of a way to go into the Olympic break.