52 replies to this topic

#41 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

Fine by me if they cancel games. Gives this team a little rest after the run they had, especially with all the vets.

That makes one of us,

I miss hockey :(

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#42 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

It sucks, but I feel like an NBA-style season is almost inevitable next year.

:noclue:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#43 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

Fine by me if they cancel games. Gives this team a little rest after the run they had, especially with all the vets.

Well that's one positive for our team in particular if a lockout happens. One negative for us though is that our team needs money more than many others, and if we don't play, we don't make any. But JVB's creditors don't just skip an interest period because the league is locked out.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#44 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

If you're planning on attending every game, then yes, it's kind of crappy. If you don't mind reselling though, it's somewhat of a favor. There are many fans who don't give more than a glimpse to hockey until football reaches that two week break before the Super Bowl. I'm pretty sure that resell prices tend to go up in February.

Having that many games bunched up hurts the resale value of non-rivalry games during that stretch though. Granted, those same games wouldn't sell for beans in December either cause it's too early in the season, so I don't think it makes much of a difference either way. You'll still be able to get a weekday Jackets matchup for peanuts whenever they put it.

As a sth myself, I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I'd rather go to games late in the season because there's more urgency with them. On the other hand I don't like going back-to-back nights or three games in a week because I'd rather not be going to games by rote, but by Game 60 I don't really want to miss games either if we're in contention for a division or god forbid are life and death for the playoffs. I usually wind up going to 2/3rds either way.

I'd rather not think about a lockout until after FA is done, it becomes obvious what's happening with ownership and our own team's issues are either solved or exacerbated. But yeah I wouldn't bet money on there being 82 next year. Probably would be a blessing in disguise for the team with the extra couple months off, and right now I can be ambivalent about a non-October start cause I was still going to games last week. But by September, I'll be annoyed if they're not starting in October.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#45 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Well that's one positive for our team in particular if a lockout happens. One negative for us though is that our team needs money more than many others, and if we don't play, we don't make any. But JVB's creditors don't just skip an interest period because the league is locked out.

You mean we don't lose any. The Devils clearly lose money on the beginning of the season.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#46 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

I would guess there is always a possibility that the NHL and NHLPA agree to continue under the current CBA for the 2012-13 season if they are close to an agreement in September. It seems silly to lose a part of a season if there are only a few issues holding things back. For example, the NFL this season started training camps before all of the CBA had been agreed upon.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#47 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

All games scheduled to play in Florida, pretty sure I will be out to sea for. DAMN IT!!!

#48 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

I would guess there is always a possibility that the NHL and NHLPA agree to continue under the current CBA for the 2012-13 season if they are close to an agreement in September. It seems silly to lose a part of a season if there are only a few issues holding things back. For example, the NFL this season started training camps before all of the CBA had been agreed upon.

Except you know negotiations will probably only start a week before the CBA ends, so if there's any stoppage at all really games have to get canceled, since it's so close to the start of the season and that won't be enough time to hammer out enough issues to even have a workable CBA. Plus I worry about Don Fehr running the PA the way I'm worried about Don Meehan being in Parise's ear.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#49 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

You mean we don't lose any. The Devils clearly lose money on the beginning of the season.

This is probably true. Funny that I didn't stop to consider it when I basically pronounced the February-onward portion of the schedule to be more valuable in my other post. :rolling:
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#50 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

Granted, those same games wouldn't sell for beans in December either cause it's too early in the season, so I don't think it makes much of a difference either way. You'll still be able to get a weekday Jackets matchup for peanuts whenever they put it.

But yeah I wouldn't bet money on there being 82 next year.

This begs a question: Is your preferred currency when selling/buying Devils tickets beans, peanuts, or the American dollar? :lol:

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#51 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

It's hard to believe they are going to retire Marty's jersey and do a St. patty's day throwback on the same night....

:koolaid:

#52 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,059 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

That makes one of us,

I miss hockey :(

Yeah just trying to look at the big picture. I'm not sure I could deal with all the 'Marty sucks' talk here if perhaps he got off to another slow start.

Especially if Kovy does in fact need surgery and misses some time.

#53 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:16 AM

Will be going to the Washington away opener, and will be at the home opener, fits in perfectly with my holidays in New York, couldn't of timed it better :D

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none." "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
jerseys3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users