Rumor: Clarkson's contract being bought out per Stan Fischler

grcenter47

Stan translates a hell of a lot better in book form. I've found his books to be real good reads on the sport and worth picking up if you can.

Having grown up watching him on Islanders, Rangers and Devils broadcasts in the 80's and 90's, he was a bit of an acquired taste even back then. I can only imagine what he must translate to younger fans today.

Anyone recall the failed attempt at “whiteout” at playoff home games one year?  I think it was 2002?

Anyway I used to despise Stan until that year, when he shoes up for one broadcast in a white tuxedo.  He’s been ok in my book since then

Stan translates a hell of a lot better in book form. I've found his books to be real good reads on the sport and worth picking up if you can.

Having grown up watching him on Islanders, Rangers and Devils broadcasts in the 80's and 90's, he was a bit of an acquired taste even back then. I can only imagine what he must translate to younger fans today.

This is extremely true.  I have a large coffee-table type book at home written by him and his wife.  I think it is called "The Great Book of Hockey" if I remember correctly (I will have to check my bookcase later) and it is a great read.  It has every year from the beginning to about 1992 and they dedicate between 4-10 pages for each season.  Nice visual timeline of NHL history in book form.

Worth noting is that both Bernie and Neal hadn't been here long, though Bernie had played for the Rangers previously, so he should've been familiar with Fischler and his way of asking questions.  For whatever the reasons, there seem to be certain players that Stan rubs the wrong way (I never minded him at all myself). 

Once people started making Wendel Clark comparisons, Clarkson was screwed.  The only thing he can do better than Clark is stay healthy.  Clark missed a ton of games in his career.

Unfortunately, no Stan means no more Chuck.  I've tried to find a good picture of Chuck for a long time, but that is all I found as well.  At least its a funny picture.

Try searching for Matt and the Maven videos and see if you can pull a frame of Chuck.

Someone made one.  Here is a thumbnail. :)

th_Chuck_the_Duck.jpg

Edited by StarDew

Everyone who had a pulse (outside of the Maple Leaf organization) saw this trainwreck coming from the jump. I can't see them buying him out so soon though. If he has another season like this one next year, he'll be back in the red and black by the beginning of the 2015-16 season.

Good chance both Lou and Deboer are out the door at that point. So thankfully we can rule out a Clarkson return.

Unfortunately, no Stan means no more Chuck.  I've tried to find a good picture of Chuck for a long time, but that is all I found as well.  At least its a funny picture. 

You're right. Chuck is a tough guy to find online. Here's another one you might or might not have -- still not the best.

4190943261_a49a300c1f.jpg

Maybe email Matt or Stan to see if they have any better ones they can send you, LOL?

Everyone who had a pulse (outside of the Maple Leaf organization) saw this trainwreck coming from the jump.  I can't see them buying him out so soon though.  If he has another season like this one next year, he'll be back in the red and black by the beginning of the 2015-16 season.

the oilers offered more :D

I remember two awkward Stan-Devil interviews in particular.  One was with Bernie Nicholls...Nicholls had scored a goal on a two on one where he didn't pass it to the other Devil.  Stan asked him if he thought he should've passed it, to which Nicholls said "No" in a way that implied "STFU old man, I just friggin' scored a big goal."  Stan actually decided to ask him AGAIN, and it was obvious that Bernie thought Stan was out of his mind to ask him that.   

The other one I recall was with Neal Broten, sometime during '95...I think Stan implied that Broten's offensive resurgence had come as a major surprise, and basically said (in more diplomatic language) that Broten had appeared washed-up with the Stars just before he became a Devil.  Broten clearly didn't like how Stan had put it, and let him know that it was the way he had been used with the Stars that had led to his poor offensive numbers, not his age or anything related to it. 

Yes exactly, this is one thing he does and I don't understand why he feels the need to do it. It's not like he's passed it either, he ruined the Ruutu postgame GWG locker room interview:

(1:35 mark)

Edited by Neb00rs

I think Stan's interviewing style and the way he phrases questions sometimes leads to "huh, what?" moments from his subjects.  I wouldn't say Stan ruined anything with Ruutu (he wasn't ticked off...Nicholls and Broten clearly were), but it is funny seeing how certain players react to him.

Re:  Clarkson, now that his team isn't winning, he's probably going to start hearing about his lack of production a lot more.  HF is all over him:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1619783&page=33

The above thread is Part III...the prior two parts reached their post limit.  I didn't read every response, but the beginning of the thread has posters looking for glimmers of hope.  Pretty everyone is on him by the end of the thread.

Some people can deal with him better than others. He gets a little too up close and personal for my likes and some things he says just come off weird. I also don't get why he also has his arm behind players when he's interviewing them. I mean I get it actually, I guess he's like this loving old guy, but I can sense the discomfort of the players. I tell myself that they all joke about it with each other behind the scenes and are all aware of his oddball style - so that helps a bit.

This is re: Fischler, not Clarkson.

As far as the Clarkson thread goes, I found this quote to sum it all up:

Id rather Jeff Finger back @ 3.5 million then bloody Clarkson

ouch.gif

I don't know about you guys, I think Fischler's hysterical. That old school sarcasm is hard to come by thes days, mainly because it offends/confuses our super delicate younger generation haha

Reminds me of my grandpa and the wiseguy old dudes in my neighborhood. Sure, you might say that's too outdated to throw out there for a sports network to be interviewing athletes, but he's a wild card and I appreciate him being there just because of his age and experience, I don't care what comes out of his mouth haha...

Edited by DJ Eco

We must remember that Clarksons Leaf adventure is something completely new for him. He went undrafted but was more or less talked in to continue playing and joining the Devils organization. One of the most well run and structured organization there is in hockeyicon1.png. And some how they always manage to be seen as the underdog, even when they are winning. And Clarkson fitted in a role at the Devils perfectly as the underdog among the underdogs. A heart and soul player driving the net knocking in rebounds, scoring ugly goals but some times even show that he got a pretty decent shot him self. And he is not a great skater but Devils is not a team who relied on speed either so he could keep up. They rather played strong d and kept possession allowing Clarkson to move in to good positions in front of the net and slot them home. Like the Devils always play.

Then he is signed by Toronto who have been lacking size and grit in their top six for a long long time. But who also playicon1.png a completely different style then the Devils. Here speed is king and the team rarely have more possession then their opponents. Nothing structured at all about their game either. And not only that, Clarkson is no longer the underdog, he is one of the top dogs.

So no wonder he struggles on the Leafs. Switching between the 2nd and 3rd line constantly certainly does not help either. 

This guy on HFBoards gets it. ^^^^

A lot of us knew all of these things but never articulated it the way this guy does. What really blows my mind is how the GENERAL MANAGER of the TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS, the highest financially ranked hockey team in the world, doesn't have the kind of insight and far-sightedness that a guy on HFBoards has.

Edited by DJ Eco

This guy on HFBoards gets it. ^^^^

A lot of us knew all of these things but never articulated it the way this guy does. What really blows my mind is how the GENERAL MANAGER of the TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS, the highest financially ranked hockey team in the world, doesn't have the kind of insight and far-sightedness that a guy on HFBoards has.

The only thing that kept that author from making an epic post is what he failed to touch on as a closing statement. At the end of the day, it's still David Clarkson who went to Toronto, took the contract and fell into his own childhood fantasy of "Wendel Clarkson". How about putting some of the mess David Clarkson is in on.....David Clarkson?

Edited by TheRedStorm

The only thing that kept that author from making an epic post is what he failed to touch on as a closing statement. At the end of the day, it's still David Clarkson who went to Toronto, took the contract and fell into his own childhood fantasy of "Wendel Clarkson". How about putting some of the mess David Clarkson is in on.....David Clarkson?

Bingo.  He brought this on himself.  I can't fault him for wanting a big payday and to play in front of the home crowd.  However, it is still Toronto and he should have had at least an inkling that everything he does there will be put under the microscope.  Well Davey you chose to get the big bucks and now he is stuck getting the fans wrath for not playing up to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qkG2r_OTp8#t=244

You know, I gotta give Clarkson some credit..a lot his goals during that 30-goal season were 'garbage', but he definitely had some snipes and nice plays.  

I think the Devils system was the PERFECT fit for him.  Can't blame him for wanting the paycheck in Toronto.

Edited by Devilsfan118