If the team continues to struggle, does Lou start to feel the heat?

Devilsfan118

If ownership cans Lou (and you'd have to think PDB also), then they have to tear it all down and start it over as well. You're not going to fire the GM in this case and keep the roster and hope it turns around, gets younger and more skilled. Perhaps Lou will be given orders to tear it up and start over with the promise of FA dollars. Whatever the case, there's just not an option out there to replace Lou with given the current state of the organization to make a move

Plus well for the playoffs run... Thats a bit hypocrite from some people here, when Zach signed with Minny, a bunch we're saying he was useless disappearing in the playoffs anyway only scoring empty nets and that Kovalchuk was better. But now saying we would have never made it to the finals without him. wut ? 

He isn't as good as Kovalchuk, imo, and he's not worth the money Minny offered him, but they don't make the finals if they trade him. I don't get how that's tough to understand.

Again all i'd want is for Lou to use a system where he's giving himself options, instead of going for a leap of faith every times and if things dont go his way he's losing players for nothing.

And all being a GM is a series of leaps of faith. Sometimes you get your way, sometimes you don't. More often than not, Lou has gotten his way, partially because his way works.

He isn't as good as Kovalchuk, imo, and he's not worth the money Minny offered him, but they don't make the finals if they trade him. I don't get how that's tough to understand.

And all being a GM is a series of leaps of faith. Sometimes you get your way, sometimes you don't. More often than not, Lou has gotten his way, partially because his way works.

thats my one and only point. It's a fact that in certain situations with some players, talking during the season would help on many levels. Lou is closing that door / throwing away that tool for absolutely no good reason. Thats gone, if there's ever a positive benefit of one talk during the season. NJ will never ever ever get that benefit. It's simply not a good business model to refuse to use all the tools that you have. 

Thing is here most people tend to adjust what make sense in their minds based on what Lou would do, not the logical business way. Of course Lou is a genius so there's way more goods than bad in his thinking IMO. 

thats my one and only point. It's a fact that in certain situations with some players, talking during the season would help on many levels. Lou is closing that door / throwing away that tool for absolutely no good reason. Thats gone, if there's ever a positive benefit of one talk during the season. NJ will never ever ever get that benefit. It's simply not a good business model to refuse to use all the tools that you have. 

Thing is here most people tend to adjust what make sense in their minds based on what Lou would do, not the logical business way. Of course Lou is a genius so there's way more goods than bad in his thinking IMO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2308828

Or negotiating contracts mid-season is a distraction that Lou would rather avoid, and not doing so has never cost us a player, so why would he start now?

Or negotiating contracts mid-season is a distraction that Lou would rather avoid, and not doing so has never cost us a player, so why would he start now?

At a certain point, these are things that have driven all Devils fans nuts. We've heard sideways comments about this policy from players before. Let's not pretend that just because SD happens to be a broken record on the topic that we all fully agree with the policy. I've been on this and other Devils boards in one form or another since 1997 and I remember all manner of fans even during the heart of the Devils heyday as a semi-dynasty grumbling about perceived mistreatment of guys by not at least talking turkey with them until the season was over and until the last minute. Lou is an amazing GM, but this is one policy I'm not entirely sure I agree with. I don't necessarily think that I buy into the distraction factor, because I fail to see how it has distracted players on other teams who have resigned contracts mid-season.

I remember hearing a quote from a certain Devils player during an interview one winter, he said "the balls been in Lou's court for a while, I don't know what he's waiting for"

and that player left for big money come July.

Many people said...well he's not worth that kind of money anyway (which was true), but if Lou offered him a decent contract while the ball was in his court, maybe he could have kept that free agent in NJ for a while longer.

I remember hearing a quote from a certain Devils player during an interview one winter, he said "the balls been in Lou's court for a while, I don't know what he's waiting for"

and that player left for big money come July.

Many people said...well he's not worth that kind of money anyway (which was true), but if Lou offered him a decent contract while the ball was in his court, maybe he could have kept that free agent in NJ for a while longer.

Any player who wants big money in July is going to go to July either way. Them saying that "i'm waiting, ball's in Lou's court" is their way of pressuring Lou into paying them big before free agency. It doesn't work on him. Elias said the same exact thing, and re-signed twice.

They aren't going to sign for less than they think they can make on the market.

Any player who wants big money in July is going to go to July either way. Them saying that "i'm waiting, ball's in Lou's court" is their way of pressuring Lou into paying them big before free agency. It doesn't work on him. Elias said the same exact thing, and re-signed twice.

They aren't going to sign for less than they think they can make on the market.

That may be true, but it also may not be true. We don't know that. Not even Lou actually knows that for certain. Contract negotiations are tricky. That's why people get paid good money to represent people's interests in them. Everyone has their own style and strategies and it really is impossible to say whether one person's style is most effective or not because every situation is different.

That may be true, but it also may not be true. We don't know that. Not even Lou actually knows that for certain. Contract negotiations are tricky. That's why people get paid good money to represent people's interests in them. Everyone has their own style and strategies and it really is impossible to say whether one person's style is most effective or not because every situation is different.

exactly ....you hit the nail on the head