Devils acquire Steve Sullivan

jagknife

What is the problem with this trade? Really? He's a better option for the 2nd line than d'agostini and it gives us depth. Also we didnt pay out the ass for him like so many teams did (3 picks for clowe, two 2nds for Murray) Jokinen went for a 7th also but he's still on the books next year with a 3m cap hit.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything that made me believe you were trying to help us out for another push before Marty hangs em up...

We may only have a couple more dances with #30 before he is gone forever...we should be trying to win every season, PERIOD.

Does that mean I want huge names every go around?!?  Of course not, but something more impactful than Sullivan....

"Anything"?  Can you name any names?  Both the ones coming here and the ones the Devils were going to give up?  It's easy to say "Lou should've been able to do more" when you don't have to get into specifics. 

Sadly, it looks like #30 really needs a very very good team in front of him to prop him up at this point.  You'll never get me to say a bad word about him, but even I can't ignore the not-so-good save%s Marty has been putting up now for quite some time.  What deadline moves were going to make the Devils so good this season that they were going to be able to overcome the fact that, as a team, the Devils don't stop 90% of the shots they're facing? 

Life is going to go on for the Devils after Marty calls it a career.  They can't blow their wad trying to win Marty another Cup. 

What is the problem with this trade? Really? He's a better option for the 2nd line than d'agostini and it gives us depth. Also we didnt pay out the ass for him like so many teams did (3 picks for clowe, two 2nds for Murray) Jokinen went for a 7th also but he's still on the books next year with a 3m cap hit.

Because Sullivan is washed up. Guy missed pretty much two seasons with a back injury, has only finished a full season twice and is injury prone. We don't need any more injury prone old timers.

Because Sullivan is washed up. Guy missed pretty much two seasons with a back injury, has only finished a full season twice and is injury prone. We don't need any more injury prone old timers.

He's going to be here for a whopping 14 games, plus playoffs if the Devils get in.  It's not like he's going to be here long-term.  It's a what-the-hell, didn't-cost-much kind of move.  If it doesn't work out, oh well, it cost all of a 7th-rounder. 

Sorry but we really shouldn't piss the future down the toilet just so Marty can add another cup to his resume.

Marty is a shoe-in for the Hall so no worries about that.

Not saying to piss the future down the toilet to win another cup for just Marty.  He has been a shoe in for the HOF for the last 10 years, so that is irrelevant as well.   REALISTICALLY, our best chances to win another cup in the foreseeable future will be when we still have Elias and Marty, with Kovy in his prime....as evidenced by last season. 

Not saying to piss the future down the toilet to win another cup for just Marty.  He has been a shoe in for the HOF for the last 10 years, so that is irrelevant as well.   REALISTICALLY, our best chances to win another cup in the foreseeable future will be when we still have Elias and Marty, with Kovy in his prime....as evidenced by last season. 

Marty was a non-factor in last year's run.  Hell he looked downright awful in a couple of games in Round 1 last year.

"Anything"?  Can you name any names?  Both the ones coming here and the ones the Devils were going to give up?  It's easy to say "Lou should've been able to do more" when you don't have to get into specifics. 

Sadly, it looks like #30 really needs a very very good team in front of him to prop him up at this point.  You'll never get me to say a bad word about him, but even I can't ignore the not-so-good save%s Marty has been putting up now for quite some time.  What deadline moves were going to make the Devils so good this season that they were going to be able to overcome the fact that, as a team, the Devils don't stop 90% of the shots they're facing? 

Life is going to go on for the Devils after Marty calls it a career.  They can't blow their wad trying to win Marty another Cup. 

I could name names, but there is no need.  Everyone knows what I am talking about.  A legitimate 2nd line talent would have been nice.  I do not think we needed another role player/depth guy.  Marty is not what he once was, but he is far from the weakest link on this team/the most glaring issue.  Marty took us to the big show last year, and I believe our best chance to win another Cup will be when he is still here.....contemplating life after Marty is a scary thing sometimes....

Marty was a non-factor in last year's run.  Hell he looked downright awful in a couple of games in Round 1 last year.

Do you truly believe Moose would have carried us to the Finals, including 2 wins in the series?

Edited by ThreeCups

Did you NOT watch every other round???   Marty was the reason we went to the finals.

I think Lou is foregoing the playoffs this year and keeping his team intact.  Once other teams address the reduced cap, he will probably augment the team next season on the cheap.

Brodeur was fine but not great on the way to the Finals.  He was actually great in the Finals games the Devils won.  But he is the weakest link on the team - I had no faith in him last year and continue to have none in him this year.  And every year really until he hangs them up.  

After the first six games against the Panthers, Marty was a huge positive factor for the rest of the playoffs.

I have no problem with the deal from a value/player standpoint, but boy it gives me flashbacks to Lou bringing back a washed-up Richer.

And he looked very good in others during Rounds 2 and 3 and in the Finals.  He's clearly not the same player he was at 26, but's he's not as bad as you are making him out to be either.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

I could name names, but there is no need.  Everyone knows what I am talking about.  A legitimate 2nd line talent would have been nice.  I do not think we needed another role player/depth guy.  Marty is not what he once was, but he is far from the weakest link on this team/the most glaring issue.  Marty took us to the big show last year, and I believe our best chance to win another Cup will be when he is still here.....contemplating life after Marty is a scary thing sometimes....

Do you truly believe Moose would have carried us to the Finals, including 2 wins in the series?

Sooo, you don't have any names then. Because I'm sure everybody (including Lou) would love to know these 'moves' that can be made, but that Lou just can't seem to see. A lot of people around here seem to know how to acquire players without giving up assets.

As for Marty, he was great from game 6 of round 1 on. He was a BIG reason they made the finals. I totally agree with that.

ThreeCups, what last year showed is that the NHL playoffs are a real crapshoot these days.  The two teams before last season's also had Elias and Marty, and Kovy in his prime.  How did they do?

Marty is getting old...you don't see too many 40-year-old goalies playing in the NHL, much less being counted on like the Devils are with Marty.  Like I'll keep saying, I'll always have a soft spot for Marty, but look at the save%s for him since 2010...no, save%s aren't everything, but it's not going to be that hard to find a guy who will simply stop more shots than will this version of Marty.   

I thought Marty was definitely good overall in the playoffs last year, but at his age, there's no guarantee that he can do that again.  

And no, you do have to name names if you're going to make it sound like there was an obvious move or two Lou could've made. 

And he looked very good in others during Rounds 2 and 3.  He's clearly not the same player he was at 26, but's he's not as bad as you are making him out to be either.

He looked good because he didn't have to be good.  We forechecked the sh!t out of the Flyers and Rangers in those rounds.  Marty was tested in Round 1 and the Finals and didn't look good at all.

Sooo, you don't have any names then. Because I'm sure everybody (including Lou) would love to know these 'moves' that can be made, but that Lou just can't seem to see. A lot of people around here seem to know how to acquire players without giving up assets.

As for Marty, he was great from game 6 of round 1 on. He was a BIG reason they made the finals. I totally agree with that.

I would have liked to see Jagr, Iginla, Pominville, etc added....if we could have done so without dealing a 1st....