67 replies to this topic

#61 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

Dont expect to eat well at port 44.............. Beer is very good, but food and service not very good.
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#62 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:04 AM

Dont expect to eat well at port 44.............. Beer is very good, but food and service not very good.

I hear very mixed things about the food at Port 44. I guess maybe because it is still pretty new?

#63 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:24 AM

A brewery-type place isn't known to have great food.

Edited by Marv4Life, 19 October 2010 - 11:24 AM.

#64 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

A brewery-type place isn't known to have great food.

I beg to differ. Ever been to Triumph in New Hope or Long Valley Brew Pub in Long Valley? Both have very good to great food.

#65 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for the review, DiG! Despite the mixed reactions to the food, next time I'm at the Rock for a game, I think I'll give it a go, despite the mixed food reviews. As long as the beer is tip notch, I can deal with standard bar fare.

By the way, I was running late for the home opener and stopped in BCB&G for a drink while waiting for a friend and they wanted $11 for a Makers on the rocks. That's whiskey poured over ice in a glass. $11?!?! Their prices have been jacked up since last season and although they have a good food selection, especially for people who needs someplace close to the arena and want more than pub fare, that's insane! I live in Manhattan and wouldn't pay that much for standard whiskey. Now if that was a single malt scotch, OK, but those are Meatpacking district prices!

Maybe Port 44 will be my new pre game spot!
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#66 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for the review, DiG! Despite the mixed reactions to the food, next time I'm at the Rock for a game, I think I'll give it a go, despite the mixed food reviews. As long as the beer is tip notch, I can deal with standard bar fare.

By the way, I was running late for the home opener and stopped in BCB&G for a drink while waiting for a friend and they wanted $11 for a Makers on the rocks. That's whiskey poured over ice in a glass. $11?!?! Their prices have been jacked up since last season and although they have a good food selection, especially for people who needs someplace close to the arena and want more than pub fare, that's insane! I live in Manhattan and wouldn't pay that much for standard whiskey. Now if that was a single malt scotch, OK, but those are Meatpacking district prices!

Maybe Port 44 will be my new pre game spot!

I was in Brick City Bar and Grill last year and thought the prices were way over-inflated. First and last time I am going there.

#67 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:42 AM

JJ Bittings in Woodbridge is not bad. Beer is pretty good and the food is quite good and easier on the wallet than other brewpubs. It is right next to the woodbridge train station, so before or after the game it is easy to hop on the train to and from the game.

Yea I really like that place mostly because I grew up in nearby Iselin and work right up the street from it. None of their beers have ever truly astounded me but all have been good. I think my favorites of what I've had are the winter warmer and the scotch ale.

I have never ever liked Stouts and probably never will, but I will still try the stout here just to sample everything they have:)

Their stout was by far my favorite, but I love stouts. The first time I was there a couple sat down near me and the girl tried the stout and hated it, said it tasted too much like coffee. The owner was sitting next to them and basically said to her, "Well yea, that's how most stouts are." They didn't really seem like the brewpub type though, first thing they asked the bartender when they sat down was, "What do you have that is similar to Coors light?"
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#68 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,345 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

Yea I really like that place mostly because I grew up in nearby Iselin and work right up the street from it. None of their beers have ever truly astounded me but all have been good. I think my favorites of what I've had are the winter warmer and the scotch ale.

Their stout was by far my favorite, but I love stouts. The first time I was there a couple sat down near me and the girl tried the stout and hated it, said it tasted too much like coffee. The owner was sitting next to them and basically said to her, "Well yea, that's how most stouts are." They didn't really seem like the brewpub type though, first thing they asked the bartender when they sat down was, "What do you have that is similar to Coors light?"

Yeah totally agree with you about JJ Bittings. They have solid beers, but nothing really amazing. Food there is always at least decent.

Yeah I am not too high on stouts. I have a German heritage (parents came over from there back in the 1950's) and so I am more used to Lagers and Pilsners, but I do like most ales too. I tend to like the amber ales and specialty beers that come out from these brewpubs. I was at Triumph in Princeton on Monday and loved the Rauchbier (smoke beer) and Gose (kinda likea fruitier wheat beer).

lol that is a pet peeve of mine. I was once at Triumph and a couple came up (they looked like the "Jersey Shore" type) and asked for a corona. When they were told they dont have bottles and only serve their own beer, they asked for a Bud. They were then further told about how they are a brewpub and only serve their own beer. They then asked what was close to those and the bartender said Honey Blonde and they both drank about 1/2 of their glasses before leaving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users