GDT: Philadelphia Flyers @ New Jersey Devils 7pm

njdevil26

The flyers won against the cup champions in their first game, 2 top teams in the league and then played a team with a new coach system, who havent played a game in 6 days and with one of their MVP out of the lineup

i know it was a mess but come on it wasnt THAT bad

first on one of our first PP we did some pretty good plays, Elias missed the net on a nice tic-tac-toe play, it could have been a goal and a pretty one... then on the same PP parise almost got a good rebound, could have been a goal too.

Then they scored cause Kovy and Palmieri went on the same player and got caught cause Palm was lazy and couldnt reach Giroux in time

then we could have scored on Parise redirection and then sykora with the side of the net open. could have changed the game

Read's goal is a good example of "you can't just glide next to a player in your zone waiting for him to shoot and see what happen" Kovy should have been on Read's ass pokechecking or something to prevent a good shot. Brodeur should have stop that puck tho

Simmonds goal... i mean what can you do other than learn from it (CLARKSON ARE YOU LISTENING?)

well all im saying is that we "could" have win that one... would have been an ugly one but we'd be out there saying that we'll still take it and that its 2 pts at least

now lets built from it and beat those hurricanes

Edited by SterioDesign

Game 1 of 82. They didn't look great but I am not going to panic yet.

Teddy didn't look good but Larsson looked very good. I imagine there will be games this year when he(Larsson) is awful so lets not declare him a bust after a -4 night which might happen sometimes.

Pretty much my takeaway here.. We've never played well against the Flyers (their system is just kryptonite for ours so I didn't expect a win)..

But a big positive in the crowd was that there were VERY few Flyers fans there.. Not just very few compared to previous times we've played them at home, but very few in general.. So that was nice to see

Edited by Colin226

I really do not like that second line. Zubrus centering Kovalchuk did not look very good. Other than that, I really have no suggestions for the offense, which is quite scary. Clarkson can't really be moved from where he is. I'm sick of seeing him bite off more than he can chew over and over and over again. I'd like to see Josefson centering the second line, but I'm not sure he'd be ready for that. Despite what some are saying, I thought he played a solid game yesterday.

Palmieri seemed useless last night. It's amazing how he made the team and Bernier couldn't even make it.

I wonder if something like this would be better:

Parise-Elias-Zubrus

Kovalchuk-Josefson-Sykora

Tedenby-Henrique-Clarkson

Boulton-Mills-Zharkov

Sure as hell seems better than what we had last night (maybe switching Sykora and Zubrus?). This way we seem to have some more speed, and Tedenby isn't alone on the fourth line. I truly think that reworking some of the lines and finding the right chemistry will fix everything. We have the potential in our players to score.

As for D, Larsson seemed to show up. I just wish Fayne with Greene would work out. We need a big year from Greene, imo, and I'm not sure that pairing him with Larsson is the best way to do that (mostly because he may be pressured to play a more conservative game, not that Larsson will necessarily need him to). Tallinder-Larsson would be awesome, I think. And what are we going to do about Salvador and Volchenkov? That did not look good at all. Though, to be honest, Salvador looked better than expected.

They looked awful last night, but I'll wait a couple more games to worry. I have confidence that they'll get it together. It's just a matter of reworking some things and finding some chemistry. As someone else stated, this may tire out Brodeur if it takes a while, but that's why we'll use Hedberg to start a lot more this year.

well all im saying is that we "could" have win that one...

You're delusional. We were nowhere close to coming out of that game tied, let alone winning it. That was as close to an AHL-vs-NHL performance as you can get.

I'm not saying this will continue, but we had no chance in that game.

You're delusional. We were nowhere close to coming out of that game tied, let alone winning it. That was as close to an AHL-vs-NHL performance as you can get.

I'm not saying this will continue, but we had no chance in that game.

lol whoah i never said it was a tight game or anything but some night eventho you play your best you just can't goals and the other team get the ugly ones and somehow win...

of course in that example we would have been the outplayed team with the ugly ones, but we've seen that before

I thought the first power play looked awesome even if they didn't score. Too bad the rest of them looked like sh!t but the potential is there.

I'm happy they're moving Josefson back to the Kovy line. Zubs and Kovy just don't seem to have chemistry.

Larsson looked great.

I think Fayne and Palmeri both had horrible games.

Marty looked great and I'm glad they're resting him tomorrow. Still very early in the season and we'll need Marty to play more later on.

All in all I think there is a lot of potential on this team. They just have to get it together. Sometimes be more selfish and shoot the puck. Larsson didn't hesitate to shoot when he had the shot and I liked that.

Side note I'd like to congratulate New Jersey's own Frankie Edgar on successfully defending his UFC LW title last night. He's a great fighter and a great champion.

lol whoah i never said it was a tight game or anything but some night eventho you play your best you just can't goals and the other team get the ugly ones and somehow win...

of course in that example we would have been the outplayed team with the ugly ones, but we've seen that before

The problem is that last night wasn't a case where we just couldn't score. We had very few scoring chances, and that's probably one of the easiest shutouts any goalie will have this year. Ugly goals happen and are even a necessity for a winning team, but last night we had very few opportunities to even get those ugly goals.

I only saw the first period, they were not good, but the Flyers are not 'extremely solid', nor is NJ 'not very good'.

Then your opinion on the matter means exactly DICK.

No one is as consistently full of sh!t on this board as you, so I'll give you that at least.

• Like 3

Becca learned a lesson tonight. Very funny. BEFORE the game she confessed - while she loves moose, "the other guy" is her favorite because she likes "guys who stop goals."

After the game I asked if she was sure moose wasn't her favorite and she just looked incredulous and said "they scored NO goals"

Also very cute - she wanted to know how I knew who everyone was - so we went down the roster and I told her that numbers are names.

TRI - first period was awful but then they started clicking. That's what I was saying before - those are some shaky egos running that team. Pronger can be shaken easy! There is no refuting that. What surprised me is how fragile Hartnell is. if you get him off his game and don't let him regroup he's lost. :giggle: What's nice is then you'll have Jagr seeing his chance and personally I see epic fail there.... :uni: but the Devils haven't gotten to a head-games place yet.

What the Flyers have is communication. It's fine to say the Flyers are solid. I WANT them that way - that's what makes games fun. And how solid they are just isn't the Devils problem. The Devils can only work with the Devils.

What the majority of this board is doing which I'd prefer we all stop now because it's boring and EXACTLY NOT where the Devils need to be focusing is head sh!t. No answer, drills or even areas to work on -- just everyone is untalented or fvcked up. What good is that? it just makes you feel all hot and bothered? Get over it. It's boring and if not completely untrue it's a self-fulfilling prophesy. What a waste of time and thought.

Then your opinion on the matter means exactly DICK.

No one is as consistently full of sh!t on this board as you, so I'll give you that at least.

Kind of an ineffective communication style you've got there eh?

I'm just getting myself on your radar so I don't lose the MOST FULL OF sh!t badge here :evil:

The PK was good (killing 8 penalties), Marty was good, and that's about it. The offense had no breakout and the entire team looks slow. JL said the team was out of shape when he took over, and that might be the case this year as well. I think I read Deboer doesn't have many/long practices. Hopefully it's just because it is the beginning of the year but damn. The powerplay looked ok, but the puck left the zone way too much. The defense let up way too many odd man chances, have to be more responsible. Clearly this new system is going to take a few games to set in.

Yes, they played like crap, that much is obvious, the officiating was atrocious, and the flyers got away with their typical dirty style of play. Don't agree with the misconduct penalties at all, fighting major, fine, 2 mins fine, not the 10:00. I was halfway up section 13. too many flyers fans all around us. At least the ones to my left were civil, the douche in front of us had a LeClair jersey on and all he wanted to do was bash his buddy (a devils fan). Honestly I don't know how a devils fan can be friends with a flyers fan. THEN I had the real housewives of Philadelphia behind me. All game it was Nodl this and Hartnell that, Like they wanted to have their babies or something, fat cows in stretch pants a few in flyers orange, and they were also talking like they thought they were knowledgeable when it was obvious they didn't know half of what they were talking about. Ugh and the cackling! I just wanted to turn around an bitchslap them and punch the douche in front of me in the back of the head everytime he opened his mouth. I wish there was some way to know whether you're sitting in a section like that before buying tickets. I guess though if I want to avoid it, just not go to a flyer or rangers game, it's too easy for their fans to get to our arena. I'm not a violent guy but it's so tempting to want to stoop to their level at a game like that. I hate the whole city of Philly and I'd take ranger fans over their fans any day.

I'm not sure how everyone has such a strong opinion on this team after 1 game when half the game was special teams. The looked sloppy in the first, better in the second and they didn't look good the third, no flow but I guess that is tough when you are shorthanded. passing will get better, the offsides and icings will decline. Early season game, let them get a few games under their belt before jumping off buildings. Usually takes 10 - 15 games to get a feel for a team.