Revitalization Around The Rock

The Rock 07

Just got my edition of the Sports Business Journal in the mail and there is an article titled "PNC Bank part of new retail lineup at Prudential Center". Starting off, we have PNC Bank opening next to the Devils Den on September 28th. It will be opened M-F during regular business hours then the event hours are still to be determined. Next up we have Brick City Coffee Company in the retail space under the Ford Lincoln Mercury VIP Garage which will open next week. A rendering in the article shows wood floors, brick walls and a mini scoreboard hanging from the ceiling. Looks great. But both of these things we knew about- so here comes the new stuff... On Edison Place in the retail space next to the new PNC Bank under the arena, "The Penalty Box" sports bar will be opening in January. Also, a "burger and beer joint" (didn't say where its going but I assume in the retail space underneath the videoboard on Mulberry Street) will open around Thanksgiving. The restaurants will be run by private companies.

I've been hoping for a coffee place (ala Dunkin Donuts underneath the Bobcats Arena in Charlotte) and then a Montreal-esque sports bar and it looks like we'll be getting both. Very cool time in the Brick CIty with Championship Plaza, the building on the corner of Edison and Broad and now these things in the arena. Just another reason I cannot wait until Devils Hockey.

interesting...

Company information:

Name: Brick City Coffee Company

From my Zip Code:

Job Description

Shift Lead Position Shift Lead. Brick City Coffee Company is looking for hardworking enthusiastic individuals for part-time employment in various positions with a new coffee house located at the Prudential Center Complex in Newark, NJ. Assist Store Manager with daily operating procedures, such as maintaining quality store operations, maximizing financial contributions and supervising partners development. Ensure service and store standards are met. Provide customer with prompt service, quality beverages and products. Required Skills and Qualifications: Possess leadership skills, Possess organizational and time management skills, Excellent communication and computer skills, Possess Strong Work Ethic, Restaurant experience (coffee shops) preferred. High School Diploma Required, College Junior/Senior preferred, Associates Degree A Plus. Interested candidates, Click the "Apply Online" button. Location: Newark, New Jersey. Compensation: Hourly-range -$9-$10/hr. This is a part-time job. Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster. Please, no phone calls about this job! Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests. more... Less...

Just got my edition of the Sports Business Journal in the mail and there is an article titled "PNC Bank part of new retail lineup at Prudential Center". Starting off, we have PNC Bank opening next to the Devils Den on September 28th. It will be opened M-F during regular business hours then the event hours are still to be determined. Next up we have Brick City Coffee Company in the retail space under the Ford Lincoln Mercury VIP Garage which will open next week. A rendering in the article shows wood floors, brick walls and a mini scoreboard hanging from the ceiling. Looks great. But both of these things we knew about- so here comes the new stuff... On Edison Place in the retail space next to the new PNC Bank under the arena, "The Penalty Box" sports bar will be opening in January. Also, a "burger and beer joint" (didn't say where its going but I assume in the retail space underneath the videoboard on Mulberry Street) will open around Thanksgiving. The restaurants will be run by private companies.

I've been hoping for a coffee place (ala Dunkin Donuts underneath the Bobcats Arena in Charlotte) and then a Montreal-esque sports bar and it looks like we'll be getting both. Very cool time in the Brick CIty with Championship Plaza, the building on the corner of Edison and Broad and now these things in the arena. Just another reason I cannot wait until Devils Hockey.

Thanks for posting it. What do you mean by a Montreal-esque sports bar?

This is similar to the anouncement that Gilfane made at the NRBP forum last year. PNC and the coffee shop are defintes as they have signed leases and permits in their windows (the only sign I ever trust to know that work is going forward). As for Two more restaurants, I will beleive it when I see work start. The quoted lease rates thrown about just don't make sense given what's going on in the retail space enviroment right now. Has anyone been into the new bar on Mullberry st on the corner of cottage st. I have seen them rennovate and stucco that building but haven't really gotten to check it out yet.

Edited by thiswontwork

If he means like Le Cage in Montreal, it will be great. It's a huge bar in the same building as the arena, with a bunch of screens with games on them. During Habs away games, they have the games up and there are goal lights and stuff that go on when they score. The place is great, we try to hit it atleast once everytime we are in Montreal.

I'm sure that others on here can describe it much better than I can but from what I hear, its very bare bones, has tons of TV's and has an amazing hockey atmosphere. Just a big open room.

It is kind of random that the city doesn't seem to have any "great" sports bars. I was hoping that 60 park was going to be more of a dave and busters style place or at least more TVs and pool tables. I think as places are successful and build out we will see a headliner place like ESPN or Fox TV do a place.

That's because other than an NHL team, there's no major league squads in town.

Saw a new bar that opened up just yesterday about 2 blocks down Mulberry from the Arena Lounge. Really spacious inside. Total sports bar, tons of photos of all the local teams and tvs. Definitely plan on checking that out when the season starts.

Is that the place that thiswontwork was talking about, on the corner of Mulberry and Cottage? Sounds promising. Remember the name of it?

Is that the place that thiswontwork was talking about, on the corner of Mulberry and Cottage? Sounds promising. Remember the name of it?

Yes, it is. I didn't know the sidestreet until I looked it up.

http://businessfinder.nj.com/3982891/Bricktop-Sports-Bar-and-Grill-Newark-NJ

Bricktop Sports Bar and Grill

I really like Arena Lounge but I have a feeling we're going to check into Bricktop on Wed. to see what it's like, heck maybe we'll stop in both places to give a fair comparison for the new year.

Yes, it is. I didn't know the sidestreet until I looked it up.

http://businessfinder.nj.com/3982891/Bricktop-Sports-Bar-and-Grill-Newark-NJ

Bricktop Sports Bar and Grill

I really like Arena Lounge but I have a feeling we're going to check into Bricktop on Wed. to see what it's like, heck maybe we'll stop in both places to give a fair comparison for the new year.

Very cool. I'm gonna be up there on Thursday, might have to check it out as well.

See this is what gets me in trouble with the wife... a new sports bar to check out...they better carry my Yuengling at a resonable price! And seriously, we have to be able to better for a name than, "Bricktop". What's next, asphalt and cement bar?

Hence the need for chains. At least you know what you're getting from them. There was supposed to be a Heartland Brewery in place of the "burger and beer joint" in the space underneath the tv screen but who knows.

There's nothing more manly sounding for a bar than paving supplies..

But seriously, what is going in next to Championship Plaza on Edison? They bricked up the whole side of the wall facing CP so unless they cut holes for windows it won't look like it does in computer renderings

Edited by Colin226

I went to Bricktop for dinner before the game. It gets my thumbs up. Everyone was friendly, beer wasn't crazy priced, but not super cheap either. My Dad got wings and I got an italian hot dog with fries, both were fine. I think we got 22 oz Yuengling draft for 4 bucks and both our meals were like 6 bucks but the wings were half price for happy hour. Bud was like a dollar cheaper on tap for the cost conscious. Lots of TVs inside the bar, which was nice, pool table, and lots of area to stand around in since the tables are small, few, and off to the side.

Edited by Devils731

But seriously, what is going in next to Championship Plaza on Edison? They bricked up the whole side of the wall facing CP so unless they cut holes for windows it won't look like it does in computer renderings

I think that's just temporary for aesthetics. but it appears the building has been sold and the building in between that and brick city is up for sale.

I think that's just temporary for aesthetics. but it appears the building has been sold and the building in between that and brick city is up for sale.

I went to Bricktop for dinner before the game. It gets my thumbs up. Everyone was friendly, beer wasn't crazy priced, but not super cheap either. My Dad got wings and I got an italian hot dog with fries, both were fine. I think we got 22 oz Yuengling draft for 4 bucks and both our meals were like 6 bucks but the wings were half price for happy hour. Bud was like a dollar cheaper on tap for the cost conscious. Lots of TVs inside the bar, which was nice, pool table, and lots of area to stand around in since the tables are small, few, and off to the side.

Very cool. I'm definitely gonna have to stop there today.

Turns out this new place isn't called Bricktop Sports Bar & Grill ... that's what the place on this lot was called before it closed down like 15 years ago. The new place is called Stadium Sports Bar & Grill. I stood outside on the corner of Mulberry and Cottage, confused, for a good minute or two before finally going in and seeing the pool table 731 talked about and finally knew I was in the right place.

Let me just say ... it's about time! This is probably the first pure sports bar to open near the arena. All the places around the Rock have their own charm, but this place is a sports bar, pure and simple. Photos of all sports and all sports teams (with an emphasis on the locals, of course) line the walls and there are plenty of TVs. I didn't even look at the menu since I wasn't eating, but Mike (the co-owner) said it's just simple finger foods. The draft selection was kinda limited, but they had Heineken on tap, which always makes me happy.

I'll post pics later.