2012 All Purpose UFA Thread

Mayday

My link

Schultz to meet with the Oilers. Very interesting. I guess the pitch is that he gets to play relatively close to home (he's from B.C.) and be part of a team that has a great shot of being really special in a short time.

Edmonton is becoming a pretty attractive destination. Almost Pittsburgh west. They have all those young stars up front, and Schultz will get to slot right in, as they have nothing back there on the blue line. They have a new building on the way as well, so that adds to the attractiveness.

Edmonton is becoming a pretty attractive destination. Almost Pittsburgh west. They have all those young stars up front, and Schultz will get to slot right in, as they have nothing back there on the blue line. They have a new building on the way as well, so that adds to the attractiveness.

In a few years think about the cap hell they'll be in. Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, and Eberle. Add on that a competitive defense they need to build and a competent goalie. They are attractive with their young talent but they have a lot of young guys that will be getting top dollar soon.

In a few years think about the cap hell they'll be in. Yakupov, Nugent-Hopkins, Hall, and Eberle. Add on that a competitive defense they need to build and a competent goalie. They are attractive with their young talent but they have a lot of young guys that will be getting top dollar soon.

Yeah, that's certainly a consideration, to borrow a Lou-ism lol. But that's still a few years away, and I'm sure they'll figure out who's expendable and who isn't by then.

True, but it also has the worst weather of any NHL city. There's a reason why players like Heatley didnt want to go to Edmonton. I can't even think of the last major ufa to sign there

True, but it also has the worst weather of any NHL city. There's a reason why players like Heatley didnt want to go to Edmonton. I can't even think of the last major ufa to sign there

Winnipeg might take that crown now that they're back in the league.

"A few years" is more like six years.

Lots of people thought the same with Pittsburgh. Shero is also one of the sharpest GMs in the game right now. It took them 8 years to finally trade one of those top draft picks they got (Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Staal) and they got quite a damn good return for him, and had a Cup and a Finals berth before. They're at the 4th year now with Eberle.

This cap hell of course is a possibility, but their current core cannot be denied and with the way RFA rules and such are in place, Edmonton could get very good, very fast, and stay that way for a while if they make the right moves in free agency/trades. I dont think a dynasty is possible in this league anymore, but we could definitely see Edmonton become a perennial playoff team with these guys as a core nucleus for many years.

Edited by ghdi

Lots of people thought the same with Pittsburgh. Shero is also one of the sharpest GMs in the game right now. It took them 8 years to finally trade one of those top draft picks they got (Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Staal) and they got quite a damn good return for him, and had a Cup and a Finals berth before. They're at the 4th year now with Eberle.

This cap hell of course is a possibility, but their current core cannot be denied and with the way RFA rules and such are in place, Edmonton could get very good, very fast, and stay that way for a while if they make the right moves in free agency/trades. I dont think a dynasty is possible in this league anymore, but we could definitely see Edmonton become a perennial playoff team with these guys as a core nucleus for many years.

i think we're reaching a point where you have to redefine dynasty going forward in the NHL. There is enough parity and the playoffs are so tough with luck being such a factor, I think modern day "dynasties" are those teams who have a 5 or 6 year run of excellence (meaning 96 point or better every year) with at least one Cup and multiple years winning more than one playoff round. Frankly, had the Sharks won a Cup in the last 5 years, I think you could consider them one.

i think we're reaching a point where you have to redefine dynasty going forward in the NHL. There is enough parity and the playoffs are so tough with luck being such a factor, I think modern day "dynasties" are those teams who have a 5 or 6 year run of excellence (meaning 96 point or better every year) with at least one Cup and multiple years winning more than one playoff round. Frankly, had the Sharks won a Cup in the last 5 years, I think you could consider them one.

I wouldn't lower the bar that much. Maybe something along the lines of 2 cups + a finals appearance over 4-5 years.

No.

Lol this^. I mentioned something about what Dredger wrote on twitter about Shane Doan testing the market and I dont think anyone said anything.

Anyway TSN wrote an article HERE.

Think Doan is a possibility if Parise doesn't return? He is a more realistic addition than Bobby Ryan from Ana for a bag of pucks and the ugliest Devils dancer. I also think he would want out of the west if he did resign elsewhere.

Lol this^. I mentioned something about what Dredger wrote on twitter about Shane Doan testing the market and I dont think anyone said anything.

Anyway TSN wrote an article HERE.

Think Doan is a possibility if Parise doesn't return? He is a more realistic addition than Bobby Ryan from Ana for a bag of pucks and the ugliest Devils dancer. I also think he would want out of the west if he did resign elsewhere.

i would not bet on Doan coming here nor would I want him - especially for the 4 year term he's seeking.

Wideman to the Flames, 5 years, no financials.

Guess they got the rights from the Caps. Wonder if Boowmeester is on the way out?

5/26 (5.25/year). Jason Garrison is gonna get paid. We obviously knew Suter would too. Anyone who thinks that Tallinder or Greene are on bad deals should take this under consideration.

5/26 (5.25/year). Jason Garrison is gonna get paid. We obviously knew Suter would too. Anyone who thinks that Tallinder or Greene are on bad deals should take this under consideration.

Yea, McKenzie just updated and someone posted a single thread about the signing, so I put it there. So confusing when that happens. Dont know if should update it here or put it there.

Garrison's # may not be that high as he apparently values long term more than anything else, but hes obviously going to get at least 5, if I was to guess.

Per Єklund (2.3% accurate) ... :blink:

On Kovalchuk and the Islanders..

The big news we can finally discuss is surrounding NJ today, where there is some wild speculation that the team could sign Parise and trade Kovalchuk to be able to be in a better position to sell the franchise. I was told about this by various sources earlier in the week, but now it's been intensifying...to say the least...Who could take on kovalchuk's contract? Who is interested? I was told four teams...The Wild, the Red Wings, the Islanders and the Canadiiens...

Many will dismiss this as being a crazy rumor...It sounds crazy, it may not happen, but I can assure you...it isn't.

The Wild are going to make a splash and if not Parise why not Ilya? The Red Wings have all sorts of money and NEVER shy away from getting top, elite talent. The Canadiens have a need to get a star player on board, but taxes would take a big chunk from Kovalchuk's salary...however it could possibly be made up for in endorsement revenue...(interesting dilemma here..If Molson were to pay Kovy an endorsement contract to make up for lost money in taxes, would that be circumventing the CBA? And would the Islanders, who have really looked to be a team setting themselves up to sell, take on such a contract?

It made me chuckle..... :evil:

lol yeah the Devils are going to sign Parise only to trade the better player, who's on a cap friendly deal forever.

The Devils have so few guys signed after next year I really don't see what the big deal is if two guys are getting $20 million, yeah you have to be under the cap celing for a while but if they're that bad off they can't afford them both then why not just let Zach go?

lol yeah the Devils are going to sign Parise only to trade the better player, who's on a cap friendly deal forever.

Funny how things change in a year or two. The idea of keeping Kovalchuk and losing Parise two years ago was unspeakably horrible to everyone here. Even last offseason when Parise only signed to a one year deal it left everyone terrified and angry that the team might lose Parise and just keep Kovy.

Funny how things change in a year or two. The idea of keeping Kovalchuk and losing Parise two years ago was unspeakably horrible to everyone here. Even last offseason when Parise only signed to a one year deal it left everyone terrified and angry that the team might lose Parise and just keep Kovy.

Admittedly I would have said last year Zach was clearly the better player, but Kovy really rounded out his game with all the PK'ing he did - for the first time in his career, and was impressive in the way he was able to put up points at half strength (if that) in the playoffs while Zach really was invisible for long stretches with no injury.

• Like 2