From the "Holy crap, imagine being THIS bad!" files

Colorado Rockies 1976

I tried googling it, but couldn't find it, so take this story with a grain of salt, but I had heard that the team had severe money problems the second half of that season and pay was running late and there were worries that pay wouldn't come at all so players just stopped giving a crap. I forget where, when, and who told me this though. :lol:

Interesting...it is true that the owners were losing tons of money and didn't have much in the way of reserves, and that kind of drop-off in performance is just insane...the Scouts weren't winning a Cup that year, but they should have been able to flirt with 20 wins and 50 points for the season, especially after they won 11 of 36 to start things off. Does make you wonder...

They averaged just over 8000 a game in attendance in those two years, and when a season ticket drive led to just 2000 season tickets being sold after the second year, the owners said the hell with this. End of NHL hockey in KC.

Interesting...it is true that the owners were losing tons of money and didn't have much in the way of reserves, and that kind of drop-off in performance is just insane...the Scouts weren't winning a Cup that year, but they should have been able to flirt with 20 wins and 50 points for the season, especially after they won 11 of 36 to start things off. Does make you wonder...

They averaged just over 8000 a game in attendance in those two years, and when a season ticket drive led to just 2000 season tickets being sold after the second year, the owners said the hell with this. End of NHL hockey in KC.

Why was the NHL in KC to begin with if there was no real interest there? Was this to compete with the WHA or to keep them out a la Islanders with Nassau Colisseum?

Why was the NHL in KC to begin with if there was no real interest there? Was this to compete with the WHA or to keep them out a la Islanders with Nassau Colisseum?

I can speculate, but that's all I'd be doing. Not sure why it crashed and burned so badly in Kansas City...I'm sure lots of research was done before KC was awarded a team, and there were owners willing to invest, so clearly several somebodies thought NHL hockey could work there. Who knows what would happen if NHL hockey got another shot there...we've seen Minnesota, Colorado, Winnipeg and Atlanta get second chances. I don't know nearly enough about Kansas City to know if the interest in having an NHL franchise that wasn't there in 1976 is now there in 2012.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I don't know nearly enough about Kansas City to know if the interest in having an NHL franchise that wasn't there in 1976 is now there in 2012.

Moving from NJ to KC and living here for the last 20 years, I would say an NHL team in Kansas City would go over about as well as a Sean Avery bobblehead night at the Rock. We have a very minor league team (Central Hockey League)that actually draws really well, but the most expensive seat in the arena is $35 on any given night. Bring in an NHL team that charges $150+ for a lower level seat, the team doesn't have a chance. There is zero interest in hockey here.

Moving from NJ to KC and living here for the last 20 years, I would say an NHL team in Kansas City would go over about as well as a Sean Avery bobblehead night at the Rock. We have a very minor league team (Central Hockey League)that actually draws really well, but the most expensive seat in the arena is $35 on any given night. Bring in an NHL team that charges $150+ for a lower level seat, the team doesn't have a chance. There is zero interest in hockey here.

Yikes...guess NHL hockey had its time in KC.