Lou isn't going anywhere

William D'Aquila

Agreed. All the "Lou is on the way out, he's too old" people's argument is now out the window. Not only will he not stop being the GM, he just took on more responsibility by making himself coach. Don't kid yourselves, while he's on the bench, he's the head coach and Stevens and Oates are assistants, no matter what title he gives them.

Agreed. All the "Lou is on the way out, he's too old" people's argument is now out the window. Not only will he not stop being the GM, he just took on more responsibility by making himself coach. Don't kid yourselves, while he's on the bench, he's the head coach and Stevens and Oates are assistants, no matter what title he gives them.

Yeah no doubt. The question is- who's in charge when Lou goes back upstairs?

Who knows. Probably not even Lou. I highly suspect it will be neither Oates nor Stevens.

Then Lou should just stay behind the bench for the rest of the season. Ride it out until April with this new arrangement and let the chips fall where they may. Edited by MadDog2020

Lou's tenure will depend on whether the Devils luck out and get Eichel or McDavid, and despite all his tough talk about always trying to improve, that's what his goal is this year. Without one of those players the Devils are going to get progressively worse until it's late 90s/early 2000 Islanders level of futility.

Lou is not blind, not senile and not an idiot, and knows that the cupboard is absolutely bare, and has realized thah cargo cult that "puck possession" and save percentage equals winning is bunk that needs to be banished with notions like medieval medicine. There is no one in the system that is under 25 that could hope to be a second line forward on a good team. All you need to know is that the best hope right now for some kind of youth movement are Quenneville and Miles Wood coming out of nowhere. That's downright scary. Dylan Strome, Mitch Marner, or any forward not named Eichel of McDavid will not change that. No amount of smarts can work Lou out of the hole to save himself in another year or two. It'll just be a matter of how he wants to handle it, kind of like Tom Coughkin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my opinion Lou will be our GM until he's at least 75...perhaps 80

I highly doubt that long. I think there will be a transition fairly soon in the next year or so.

I highly doubt that long. I think there will be a transition fairly soon in the next year or so.

This is what I'm thinking as well. I appreciate everything Lou has done, and I definitely think he didn't have control over some things that occurred. However, now that it's clearly time to tear down the forwards and build off the solid backend foundation I think it's as good a time as any to transition to a new voice or strategy or attitude.

This is what I'm thinking as well. I appreciate everything Lou has done, and I definitely think he didn't have control over some things that occurred. However, now that it's clearly time to tear down the forwards and build off the solid backend foundation I think it's as good a time as any to transition to a new voice or strategy or attitude.

Also if you look at ownership while they applauded Lou and talked about how much they'd respected his resume and his knowledge, they never gave an indication they were not going to look to evaluate and push for changes in other areas they didn't like or see improvement in. They are not or may not give the indication of being meddling owners per se like VBK or Dolan have shown to be on player moves but I could see them pushing for changes in the front office if poor results continue. Harris was not pleased with missing the playoffs last year and he most certainly will not be happy with this year. I think behind the scenes he will be someone who pushes for Lou to lay out a rebuild plan to turn everything around. People assume Lou has carte Blanche with VBK gone and that couldn't be further from the truth. All Lou really got with the new owners was more leeway on finances and no personnel meddling but he also lost the blanket safety net that was in place via the NHL wanting organizational stability while they were covering for VBK and hunted for new owners.

My bet is he moves up to a Sr. President role for a couple years and cedes the blueprint and day to day personnel side to a new and younger guy. He will still have a voice in the organizational side of things and help deal with league matters.

Warren Buffet, Pope Francis, Henry Kissenger, Carlos Slim, et cetera.

Exceptional people in any field are atypical of the general population, and our conception of age should not apply to them.

Lou will be the GM here for another 4 to 6 years.

I agree with this. I've seen no indication otherwise.

Lou basically runs the organization. No one will fire him. He'll retire when he's had enough and his ego calls it quits, and that likely won't be until he hits his early to mid 80's.

As a Giants fan, this reminds me of George Young in the 1990's...bad drafting, bad acquisitions, no "good" young talent waiting in the wings, a strong indication that the game had passed him by, but Young stayed on board despite his failures and had a massive ego that prevented him from retiring. Young had carte blanche all because of his past accomplishments (2 SB's) and turning the franchise around from a loser to a perennial contender.  Same as Lou. Not sure if Lou's ego is as big as Young's was, but in all other cases the comparisons are strikingly similar.

Edited by slasher72