1368 replies to this topic

#61 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:51 PM

I'm still iffy with the street names, which one is Edison Place? The one parallel to the Devils Den, or the one directly in front of the arena?

You've got it, Edison is the street parallel with the Devils Den.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#62 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:45 AM

A friend of mine was down in Newark and he said that there was a lot of land being cleared around the arena. I hope that means that Triangle Park has been started because I can't wait to see progress on that. I might just have to go down there one of these days and check this out for my self. B )
Posted Image
I! I believe! I believe that we! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win!

#63 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:57 PM

Here's development IN The Rock...
[quote]Prudential Center could add as many as four more restaurants next season as the arena
Posted Image
I! I believe! I believe that we! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win!

#64 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:08 PM

Tropical theme? Rainforest Cafe?
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#65 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:11 PM

Tropical theme? Rainforest Cafe?

You read my mind.

http://www.njdevs.co...mp;#entry609024
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#66 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:33 PM

Heh, yah I saw this thread first and then noticed your post in the other one.

#67 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:38 PM

Ugh .. Rainforest is one of the most overpriced fast food touristy themed restaurants around, surely we could do better Jeff...
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#68 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

Borok's (department?) store is going to close down on Broad Street. They said that it will be turned into a parking lot or retail. It was bought by the Newark Housing Authority who is in charge of revitalization around the arena.
A Key Parcel
Posted Image

#69 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:27 AM

gotta feel bad for the locals in a way. same reason i am not in favor of gentrification that department store is probably a community staple and is now being knocked down for a parking lot.

#70 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:30 AM

gotta feel bad for the locals in a way. same reason i am not in favor of gentrification that department store is probably a community staple and is now being knocked down for a parking lot.

Yeah, it's really a shame. That place has been there since 1936, and now with the blink of an eye it's another parking lot.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#71 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:09 AM

Yeah, it's really a shame. That place has been there since 1936, and now with the blink of an eye it's another parking lot.

Yeah, I hope that they build a new building there because an empty space or a garage along Broad wouldnt look right. I remember an article a while back saying how the Newark residents were upset that the arena faced Manhattan and not Broad Street because they thought that they were getting jipped that the new arena wouldn't face Downtown Newark and that all they got was a garage and a flat brick wall along there.

Edited by The Rock 07, 11 May 2008 - 10:10 AM.

Posted Image

#72 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

The guy was retiring anyway and his kids didn't want to run the store so it would have closed down anyway. The guy got $4M out of it, nothing to feel bad about!

#73 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,127 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 01:27 PM

I also kinda feel bad that these restaurants are inside the arena, and not one new establishment has opened on the streets of Newark. With all the eatery options inside, will there be enough business left over to go around to stores on the streets?

#74 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

I also kinda feel bad that these restaurants are inside the arena, and not one new establishment has opened on the streets of Newark. With all the eatery options inside, will there be enough business left over to go around to stores on the streets?

There's 4 or 5 in the blocks surrounding the arena, don't know what you're talking about.

As for Broad Street, it needs to be bombed. If this is a start, it's a good start. Revitalizing it makes sense. Leaving it looking like Havana doesn't.

#75 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,127 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:33 PM

There's 4 or 5 in the blocks surrounding the arena, don't know what you're talking about.

As for Broad Street, it needs to be bombed. If this is a start, it's a good start. Revitalizing it makes sense. Leaving it looking like Havana doesn't.

None have opened.

#76 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

None have opened.

I must have just imagined people being in them, then. Arena, Hells Kitchen, the one next to Catholic Charities lot, have definately opened because of the Rock. The one across the street is opening before next season, and there's probably more if I wandered around enough.

#77 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:57 PM

I must have just imagined people being in them, then. Arena, Hells Kitchen, the one next to Catholic Charities lot, have definately opened because of the Rock. The one across the street is opening before next season, and there's probably more if I wandered around enough.

Suppoudly, the Arena Bar is opening an Arena Cafe in the area. Brick City Bar and Grill on Edison Place is opening in August as well. To add to the list, Scully's Publik House and Bojangles have opened due to the arena. Stores wise, a New York and Company opened on Broad a few months ago.

Edited by The Rock 07, 12 May 2008 - 04:11 PM.

Posted Image

#78 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

Under the Lincoln-Mercury VIP Garage, (along Lafayette) there is a space for retail so I wonder what will go in there.

Also, there is a townhouse/condo complex on Broad that is going to be built soon.

Wired NY 'Newark Thread'

Go down to post 341. There are also plans in there for a condo tower next to NJPAC (35 stories?) and then a 'transit village' around Broad Street Station with condo towers and such. Looks nice, I just hope that development can come down to the area around The Rock.

If they cleared the banners and junk off of the Broad Street Buildings and powerwashed them, it would look really nice because those used to be good looking buildings. At the end of the season, Broad Street appeared to be marked off for repavement. I would put new sidewalks and curbs (which I think is happening), pave the street and clean off the buildings. Then people wouldn't get a bad impression and non-junky businesses would return to Broad Street.
Posted Image

#79 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

The most important thing is for downtown Newark to start attracting people to actually live there. This has started with Eleven80 Raymond Boulevard which are now luxury apartments, but it has to continue. If people start actually living in downtown Newark, the number of restaurants will go up and the quality of life will go up.

The development at the Hahnes/Griffith buildings will help greatly, but as you said, the area South of Market Street needs to start getting in on the action. The NJPAC started things off for the area North of Market and the Prudential Center allowed it to really kick into high gear, but now that the Rock is there in the South of Market area there needs to be some development of residential and office buildings there.

According to the plans for the Riverbend District in Harrison, the North of Market Street area of downtown contains only about 2000 residential rental units but also has 60,000 office jobs. With the NJPAC Residential Tower bringing in an additional 250 units and the Hahnes/Griffith development bringing in another 550 that bumps that number up to nearly 3000 units.

In addition there's a plan for a residential complex across Broad Street from the City Hall/Federal Courts area for an additional 400 units.

All in all, as people start moving in to downtown Newark, restaurants will spring up along with alternate entertainment options. Foot traffic will increase and Devils attendance will go up as well. Its like the old story of the guy who opens up a shoe store on a block thats already got one and instead of both businesses suffering they improve until a few years later there are 6 shoe stores in that neighborhood and thats where everyone goes to get their shoes. As people get used to going to downtown Newark for entertainment, attendance at Devils games (and NJPAC events and Symphony Hall events) can't help but go up.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#80 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,230 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:14 AM

Also key in all of this is the fact that Harrison will be housing the Red Bulls soccer stadium along with a massive residential/retail/office complex just on the other side of the river. There are people who think this would hurt downtown Newark, but I say it will help because as people move into Harrison they are just as likely to move in across the river to downtown Newark that already has many more attractions than one megadevelopment like the Riverbend District can put out all at once.

That also means that more New Jerseyans (and New Yorkers) will look to the Newark area for sports entertainment. As gas prices increase and people are more inclined to look back towards inner cities with transportation options to their workplaces, Newark and Harrison will be poised to take full advantage with new residential options.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users