Brodeur: Devils have accepted mediocrity

NJDevs4978

It's not accepting mediocrity if your team is mediocre at best to begin with.  As Bill Parcells once said, "We are what our record says we are."  The 2013-14 Devils are a middle of the road team with no depth that can't score goals.  This team is not good ... plain and simple.  One thing I will take away from this season is that they worked hard and never quit.  They just don't have the talent needed to be successful.

No goalie (or player for that matter) is ever going to say that, nor should they.  It's one thing to recognize in your own heart that your abilities may be declining, but as long as you want to put on the jersey and take a paycheck, you should be willing and have the desire to go out there and be the number one, leading and taking charge.  There are some players there are better at it than others, but I wouldn't a goalie on my team, starter or backup, who didn't want to BE the starter, even if he is a 42yr old.   I'm not saying these stories and comments make me warm and fuzzy, but what I am saying is that I think it's just media fodder and people get wayyyy too worked up over this stuff that really means nothing, and I would much rather have a goalie that wants to play and is dying for playing time than a goalie who is melancholy and half-hearted, not caring whether we win or lose because he's at the end of his career and basically set every damn record there is. 

There's a big difference between wanting to play and crapping on the team when you're a huge part of the problem. Everyone on this team should want to play, when you're not playing well you shouldn't be pointing the fingers at others. It's a classic "you shouldn't throw stones when you live in a glass house" situation. Also, keep in mind, just a few weeks ago he was crapping on the team for not playing him enough. I can't even fathom what is going on in Marty's mind sometimes.

There's a big difference between wanting to play and crapping on the team when you're a huge part of the problem. Everyone on this team should want to play, when you're not playing well you shouldn't be pointing the fingers at others. It's a classic "you shouldn't throw stones when you live in a glass house" situation. Also, keep in mind, just a few weeks ago he was crapping on the team for not playing him enough. I can't even fathom what is going on in Marty's mind sometimes.

All he said is that he wanted to play more and if wasn't going to be here, he would entertain playing elsewhere.  That might be a non-PC response to a reporters line of questioning, but how is that "crapping on the team?"

Lamoriello also disputed goaltender Martin Broduer’s suggestion Wednesday that the team has become content in recent seasons to just “hover” around .500 and then try to make a push to get in the playoffs.

“I can assure you .500 isn’t O.K. and I can assure you that it’s not acceptable, but words are cheap,” he said.

When I asked if he thought that the “hang around .500 and try to get in” mentality had pervaded his locker room at all, Lamoriello replied, ““I sure in hell hope not.”

I sure in hell hope not either Lou.

At no point,today, in discussing the situation, did i read Lamoriello taking on any blame with the roster he built and the failure thereof. Now, that's not saying in a few days when it's over that Lou might point the finger at himself in some ways but i found today's quotes a bit disturbing. He came off sounding too much like a player or coach and not a GM. At no point today, whatsoever, did he take any ounce of responsibility. He was typical Lou, talking without saying a whole lot. 

At least Pete said he'd be the first one to look in the mirror to see what went wrong. 

• Like 1

The Devils need to target JVR.

Andy Greene should be offered as bait, the Devils have enough structure to overcome his loss, in concert with the caliber of d prospects they have.

Greene and Matteau for JVR and a 2nd.

With that trade Zajac becomes Zajac again, and when Jagr eventually he retires (assuming he will re-sign) Henrique can slide in and take his place on the top line. It would give the Devils a formidable young first line core, and free up space for the young dmen.

Ideally i'd like to see this next year.

JVR Zajac Jagr

Henrique Stastny Brunner

Clowe Elias Ruutu

Carter Josefson Zubrus

Merrill Fayne

Larsson Gelinas

Zids Volch

“And it if means missing the playoffs to do certain things to win the Stanley Cup, that’s what it means. That’s mediocrity, just getting in the playoffs.”

If that's the case they've been mediocre almost each year since 2003. Who is the one creating this mediocrity?

switching up the lines without reason has been a concern of mine

but hey cbgbs can stay since 2012

marty watched this team compete all year and this is his BS?

maybe there is some truth to the team throwing this year away

elias seems very well done to me.

They could get JVR, and they should target him. The Leafs give up 40 + shots a game, and Andy Greene is on a sweetheart of a deal. Offer him and Matteau and see if the Leafs bite.

They need d-help.

As for the 3rd line costing 12 million a year, what does that have to do with anything?

switching up the lines without reason has been a concern of mine

but hey cbgbs can stay since 2012

marty watched this team compete all year and this is his BS?

maybe there is some truth to the team throwing this year away

elias seems very well done to me.

Disagree Lazer, Elias improved as the season went on. Have some pretzels.

What a fvcking disgrace, worst captain in the NHL by a mile. Did anyone actually ever saw a Salvador jersey with a C on it in the stands? im actually really curious about that.

I saw exactly 1 Salvador jersey at the games I went to and it was once. I can't recall if it had a C. I saw 3 Gomez jerseys over the season in comparison.

As for the 3rd line costing 12 million a year, what does that have to do with anything?

If you understand there's this thing called a salary cap and it's not good allocation of salary having that much money tied up in a 3rd line....well, i don't really know what to tell you more then that. That's how mediocre teams stay mediocre.

If you think Bryce Salvador, is the ruination of the Devils you need to watch more hockey. 

If you understand there's this thing called a salary cap and it's not good allocation of salary having that much money tied up in a 3rd line....well, i don't really know what to tell you more then that. That's how mediocre teams stay mediocre.

Play with capgeek that roster would have the Devils under the cap by 8 million dollars.

If you think Bryce Salvador, is the ruination of the Devils you need to watch more hockey. 

Play with capgeek that roster would have the Devils under the cap by 8 million dollars.

I don't care how much they're under. It's not a good allocation of salary and in a cap system, under or not, you don't go throwing 12+ million to a 3rd line. And it's only 12 million because you've got Ruutu's salary picked up by Carolina. You take all their full salaries together and you've got 14 million in a 3rd line, You'll have Elias making 5.5 million on a 3rd line, alone. It's not smart and when you're in the situation the Devils are in it's just plain stupid. Unfortunately, this team probably has those three players primed for this spot in some way or another and yet were wondering why were stuck in mediocrity.

Edited by TheRedStorm

So the scope of your argument changes, It is called having depth.

Would you rather Ryane Clowe be a top 6 forward, or like Clarkson during our successful run to the finals play a complimentary role as a 3rd line forward with power play duty? Answer seems pretty apparent to me. 

Also Ruutu's cap hit is gone after next year, so your fears of a 12 million dollar 3rd line are not long term, but are called for in an effort to give the likes of Reid Boucher more time to develop.

Frankly it is idiotic that you poo-poo what could be one of the deepest rosters in the East because the 3rd line cost 12 million dollars. Do you realize the matchup advantages the Devils would have against 95 percent of the league? 

So the scope of your argument changes, It is called having depth.

Would you rather Ryane Clowe be a top 6 forward, or like Clarkson during our successful run to the finals play a complimentary role as a 3rd line forward with power play duty? Answer seems pretty apparent to me. 

Also Ruutu's cap hit is gone after next year, so your fears of a 12 million dollar 3rd line are not long term, but are called for in an effort to give the likes of Reid Boucher more time to develop.

Frankly it is idiotic that you poo-poo what could be one of the deepest rosters in the East because the 3rd line cost 12 million dollars. Do you realize the matchup advantages the Devils would have against 95 percent of the league? 

Ryane Clowe is paid to be a top 6 forward. Not a 3rd liner.

Ruutu is a 3rd liner. His linemates, Elias and Clowe aren't. Although this is probably their final resting place somewhere down the line due to age and injury. You've got to figure Elias won't take a 3rd line demotion easy, either.

It's not idiotic. It's idiotic that you have no clue that 14 million worth of "real" salary is sitting on a 3rd line on a team that has no 1st or second line depth other then two fantasy acquisitions. Even if those fantasies are reality, Brunner isn't a 2nd line winger. Elias and Clowe are, if healthy and still productive (although the lack of speed scares me). If they aren't, this team is in deep sh!t.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Ruutu is a 3rd liner. His linemates, Elias and Clowe aren't. Although this is probably their final resting place somewhere down the line due to age and injury which you can then look at as why Clowe was given his deal (if you aren't already). You've got to figure Elias won't take a 3rd line demotion easy, either.

It's not idiotic. It's idiotic that you have no clue that 14 million worth of "real" salary is sitting on a 3rd line on a team that has no 1st or second line depth. That's idiotic.

Just because a player is paid a certain amount of cash does that mean he deserves that role. Clowe is best served a 3rd line forward despite what his cap hit is. The Idea that the Devils do not have any first or second line depth as that roster is constructed is ludicrous. Jagr, Zajac, JVR, Henrique, Stastny, and Brunner aren't top 6 players?

James Van Riemsdyk is an amazing talent who would fit the Devils system like a glove. 

Ruutu is a 3rd liner. His linemates, Elias and Clowe aren't. Although this is probably their final resting place somewhere down the line due to age and injury. You've got to figure Elias won't take a 3rd line demotion easy, either.

It's not idiotic. It's idiotic that you have no clue that 14 million worth of "real" salary is sitting on a 3rd line on a team that has no 1st or second line depth other then two fantasy acquisitions. Even if those fantasies are reality, Brunner isn't a 2nd line winger. Elias and Clowe are, if healthy and still productive (although the lack of speed scares me). If they aren't, this team is in deep sh!t.

What moves could the Devils plausibly make that having expensive third liners prevents them from doing?  Ruutu's cap hit to the Devils is basically the league average. 

I think it's definitely a little ridiculous to have 14m sitting on the third line when the team lacks any real top-end talent.  It's money sunk that would best be spent elsewhere..like on a 1st line player.

Of the Devils top-6 (and other scorers) this season..

Elias:  1W/2W

Zajac:  2C on a good team

Jagr:  2W on a good team

Henrique: 2C

Brunner: 3W (at best)

Ruutu:  3W

Clowe: 3W on a good team

Ryder: 3W, although I'd honestly argue he's less useful than that even

Zubrus: 3W at best

I mean..wow.  That's a pretty bad forward roster.  Jagr definitely overachieved this year which helped tremendously..unfortunately his contributions were kind of wiped out by Brunner and Ryder.

There's not a bona-fide first line player on this year's roster.  Wasting so much money on bottom-6 players like you're suggesting would be foolish.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1