2014 Draft Thread

thefiestygoat

Another article on Ho-Sang with some safer (but still interesting quotes).

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11132294/nhl-josh-ho-sang-ultra-skilled-well-rounded-frustrating

On top of his diverse background, he was raised to be independent. He was taught to question everything. His mom is a business analyst who works with CEOs and business owners to try to fix their problems. In her world, one of the worst things you can do is continue to do something just because it's always been done that way. The first questions she asks is, "Why?" Ericka encouraged her kids to do the same.

In the hockey world, a lot of people take comfort in doing things the way they've always been done. Getting people in hockey to change is a grueling process that takes years. Just look at the analytics debate that baseball worked out years ago, but is still in its infancy in hockey.

So when an 18-year-old kid pushes back against authority, people notice. They don't necessarily like it. They check off a box on a clipboard and maybe knock him down a few pegs on the draft board. Or remove him completely. And at times, Ho-Sang hasn't helped himself.

Edited by devilsrule33

mike danton was drafted by the Devils 

No he wasn't.  Mike Jefferson was drafted by the Devils.  Even when he had a reputation for having arranged a trade to St. Michael's and being aligned with David Frost.  Then he went to Albany and did well.  His next move to was to move to hollywood for a year to pursue acting.  Now Lou Lamoriello would never stand for this.  Plus when he came back he changed his name.  Then he made the Devils out of camp, probably by bribing Lou.  Of course the story gets worse from there, but this idea that Lou is totally inflexible is a narrative I imagine he likes to create, but isn't really the case.

Lou has shown to be quite forgiving of young players before the make the NHL. Their young. They do stupid things. They can mature. It's once they are here, he doesn't give many second chances (that we know about).

Somehow I think if we had Patrick Kane, Lou would not have dropped the hammer on him. Kinda like Bill Parcells being a tough love kind of guy, except when it came to making sure that LT would be on the field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't mean players with troubled personalities or who are loose cannons. I mean cocky players who think they're a one man show. That's what I was referring to.

You could film a reality show if you put his stall between Jagr and Elias.

I won't even comment any further on the kid as all the articles written about him speaks volumes. Lucky for this kid the game of hockey can be very humbling.

Lou would never draft Ho-Sang. His personality is the polar opposite of what Lou looks for in a player.

Merril violated team rules at Michigan.  Lou is willing to give people a chance.  But he's not a 3 strikes type of a guy, he's more of a 1 or 2 strikes and your done kind of guy, at least once you have the Devils label on you.  Also, this kid doesn't have issues.  It's not like DeAngelo or substances abuse issues (Merrill), but he just has a very polarizing personality. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Merril violated team rules at Michigan. Lou is willing to give people a chance. But he's not a 3 strikes type of a guy, he's more of a 1 or 2 strikes and your done kind of guy, at least once you have the Devils label on you. Also, this kid doesn't have issues. It's not like DeAngelo or substances abuse issues (Merrill), but he just has a very polarizing personality.

Yup. That's what I meant. Lou will take a flier on players like Merrill and Jefferson (Danton) but he will not do so with cocky players. I can't think of one cocky, self-absorbed player ever drafted or signed by Lou. It doesn't matter how talented the player is. Lou will not bring that kind of personality to the organization.

Yup. That's what I meant. Lou will take a flier on players like Merrill and Jefferson (Danton) but he will not do so with cocky players. I can't think of one cocky, self-absorbed player ever drafted or signed by Lou. It doesn't matter how talented the player is. Lou will not bring that kind of personality to the organization.

How many players in the draft that were available for Lou to take that fit that description?

He also gave someone like that a $100 million contract, and traded a lot to get him here in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brodeur certainly became one with time, not sure how he was back then. But his skills justified it

he's never been an a$$hole or anything at least. I jjust dont like how he'll never take the blame and put it on other guys and how he still think he should have started more than schneider

Edited by SterioDesign

havent read this whole thing but did we talk about drafting Claude Lemieux's son? i could totally see Lou going for him he may be available at the 30th spot

I could see the Kings one pick in front of us taking him too.  He could go anywhere from early 20s to late 40s.

I could see the Kings one pick in front of us taking him too.  He could go anywhere from early 20s to late 40s.

in the "final mock draft" videos on nhl.com, they have the Kings grabbing him at 29. and toward the end one of the analysts said something like, "oh yea, another team he could end up is over there in jersey"

in the "final mock draft" videos on nhl.com, they have the Kings grabbing him at 29. and toward the end one of the analysts said something like, "oh yea, another team he could end up is over there in jersey"

Yeah two of the analysts have us taking Lemieux and the third has us taking Ho-Sang.

With Ho-Sang, I'm more worried about the fact that he apparently isn't all that great at using his teammates than his attitude. I've seen too many comparison to Robbie Schremp, another guy who supposedly had "top 5" skill. Those lacrosse style penalty shots were cool though.

USA Today is split on us taking Lemieux and Ho-Sang too.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/woodlief/2014/06/24/mock-draft-red-line-report-nhl/11314861/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2014/06/25/mock-draft-nhl-kevin-allen-first-round/11367851/

Button from TSN.ca has us taking Lemieux.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=121032

A couple of random places (NESN and draftsite) have us taking defender Julius Honka.  :headless chicken:

Edited by Jerzey Devil

With Ho-Sang, I'm more worried about the fact that he apparently isn't all that great at using his teammates than his attitude. I've seen too many comparison to Robbie Schremp, another guy who supposedly had "top 5" skill. Those lacrosse style penalty shots were cool though.

I loathe comparisons, but as I mentioned upthread, Schremp's issue was three-fold - he couldn't play defense, he was a poor skater, and too many of his points came on the power play.  Oilers fans who'd broken his numbers down knew to be skeptical of him even before he made it into their pro system.  Ho Sang is a decent ES scorer (and has a bunch of ES assists, so I'm not sure where the 'doesn't use his teammates' narrative is coming from - could be when the going gets tough he will try to do it himself, which can be an issue) and he skates well.  Point is, we'll see, but I hate passing on skill for character.