New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

this ignores the fact that by kovy having less of a cap hit, the devils can actually pay more guys more money rather than having to have 6 guys on the roster making $750k or less. escrow stinks for the players and this hurts it. but would you rather get hit w/ a bigger escrow bill but make $1.2MM/year as a lunch pail guy or be out of the league because teams have to supplement their roster w/ cheap AHL filler.

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a few Jamesons deep, so I'll admit the article lost me after the second paragraph. I'll just say that, despite the natural inclination to hate lawyers, you'd be hard pressed to get a lawyer to intentionally pull punches to lose a case.

it's simple. salaries that are larger than cap salaries throw off linkage. too much money in % goes to the players. if the money gone to players is above the amount, everyone gets charged through escrow. for the guy who makes more money than cap and never reciporates by having less salary than cap, he comes out ahead. for joe schome who can't get himself one of these cool deals, he's always out there waiting to pay the escrow bill.

I also believe that if the league misses the linkage mark, the guy who gets paid over his cap value still gets the reverse escrow payment. great deal if you can get it. :lol:

as for the lawyers, yes I see. obviously a bad rumor although the other guy's site is down right now. maybe those were background guys? eh, it sounds better that way.

Edited by maxpower

this ignores the fact that by kovy having less of a cap hit, the devils can actually pay more guys more money rather than having to have 6 guys on the roster making $750k or less. escrow stinks for the players and this hurts it. but would you rather get hit w/ a bigger escrow bill but make $1.2MM/year as a lunch pail guy or be out of the league because teams have to supplement their roster w/ cheap AHL filler.

this is a surprisingly false dichotomy. mc79hockey's point is that players on every single team are subsidizing other teams' ability to compete. i don't think the effect you describe is powerful enough to overcome the fact that every single player in the NHL feels the brunt of these contracts. only 2 or 3% of players get to be in the situation you describe, but 99% of players lose money because of these contracts.

Edited by Triumph

Salary cap systems are essentially a set of detailed rules,” said Jeffrey Kessler, outside counsel for the NFL and NBA players’ unions, who has represented the NHLPA in the past. “Think of it like the tax code. There’s nothing wrong if the rules allow for people to do it to structure things to take advantage of the tax code to reduce your taxes. There’s nothing wrong with taking advantage of the salary cap rules to create more room to sign players. …

“Intent should not matter. What should matter is whether you follow the rules or not.”

why couldnt we have this guy

I think the Devils would have been ok if they offered something like Hossa's contract. Instead they offered something even worse than Hossa's contract and so the league voided it, as the league said it most likely would.

It's not about the Devils being surprised that the deal got rejected. It's about the Devils believing that the contract was legal. Whether the Hossa contract was "worse" than Kovy's is minute as long as the both contracts are proven to comply with the CBA. The contract was also not way worse.

I expect Lou to call it a lower body injury

:clap2:

this is a surprisingly false dichotomy. mc79hockey's point is that players on every single team are subsidizing other teams' ability to compete. i don't think the effect you describe is powerful enough to overcome the fact that every single player in the NHL feels the brunt of these contracts. only 2 or 3% of players get to be in the situation you describe, but 99% of players lose money because of these contracts.

i do understand this - trust me, i'm not totally dense. while its true NOW that only 2% to 3% get these, if the NHL let them continue, more would and then it would start to do what i say. every player does feel escrow yes. but if there were 2 of these on every team, is jay pandolfo still in the NHL? (perhaps pando is a bad example but you get my drift).

I do think the PA likely doesn't care too much about the escrow-paying nobodies, because it's never been about them. at the same time, though, I don't know exactly what constitutes the PA at this moment.

and this CBA has been a good deal for the escrow paying nobodies, compared to former ones. check salary lists from '04 and you'll see the rich guys and the 30 year old RFA who hasn't been able to drag himself up into much pay, comparatively. now the market seems more even handed.

I do think the PA likely doesn't care too much about the escrow-paying nobodies, because it's never been about them. at the same time, though, I don't know exactly what constitutes the PA at this moment.

and this CBA has been a good deal for the escrow paying nobodies, compared to former ones. check salary lists from '04 and you'll see the rich guys and the 30 year old RFA who hasn't been able to drag himself up into much pay, comparatively. now the market seems more even handed.

Eh. I think the PA exists to stand up for the little guy. There isn't much work in the line of representing the high payed players. Escrow has been pretty tough on the players the past couple years. I think that is going to be a stiff negotiating point in the next CBA...it's gonna be a tough argument.

Edited by ben00rs

i do understand this - trust me, i'm not totally dense. while its true NOW that only 2% to 3% get these, if the NHL let them continue, more would and then it would start to do what i say. every player does feel escrow yes. but if there were 2 of these on every team, is jay pandolfo still in the NHL? (perhaps pando is a bad example but you get my drift).

it only helps in years where the league makes more revenue than expected. otherwise, no - you are taking just as much money as you are giving back. every player making more than his cap hit is taking away from players who make exactly the amount of their cap hit. the more front-loaded, retirement deals there are, it just increases the amount that salary exceeds revenues and the amount of money taken from escrow. that's how it works.

This may have been posted back when the league first rejected the contract, but it bears posting again:

Now THAT is how you serenade Bettman. :evil::koolaid:

(EDIT: Wrong video.)

If he didn't hate us yet he did after that night...Perhaps he's exacting revenge...Oh wait I forgot I'm an idiot because I put blame on Bettman right Triumph?

If he didn't hate us yet he did after that night...Perhaps he's exacting revenge...Oh wait I forgot I'm an idiot because I put blame on Bettman right Triumph?

yes, you are. and you're the one who said it, not me. gary bettman didn't sign kovalchuk to a ridiculous deal and expect to get it past league censure.

yes, you are. and you're the one who said it, not me. gary bettman didn't sign kovalchuk to a ridiculous deal and expect to get it past league censure.

I'm just an average Joe who's pissed and holds the NHL's foremost representative responsible for what the league does...if that makes me an idiot...so be it.

Edited by ben00rs

Eh. I think the PA exists to stand up for the little guy. There isn't much work in the line of representing the high payed players. Escrow has been pretty tough on the players the past couple years. I think that is going to be a stiff negotiating point in the next CBA...it's gonna be a tough argument.

it's never been about the little guy. if it was about the little guy, they wouldn't have been forced to sit a year for what happened.

it's always been about the guys who make the big money. look at salary lists from before the lockout and tell me there was anything even handed about it. Scott Niedermayer had been in the league for 12 full seasons and had only made it to $4M even. do you think a Scott Niedermayer in this environment would be making that?

and scrubs were basically glued to their qualifier or whatever the team was so inclined to give them. considering most normal players would flame out before making UFA, or be a rotting husk...

I'm not mad at this decision since I know that the contract will be reworked but this piss me off when I think about all the time we will be waiting once again.

i agree. its like waiting for your gifts at xmas time when you are little and when you wake up, you parents tell you, they are locked in storage and the key was lost ::sorry that was a horrible metaphor but this thread is making me tired:: :huh:

And, for my next trick, I'm going to shred the credibility of the NHL and fvck the Devils over!

*Poof*

all of the non-hockey sports fans i talked to about this thought that the 17 year contract length was either a joke or a misprint. the contract shredded the credibility of the NHL.

Edited by Triumph