GDT: ECF Game 5 - NJ Devils @ NY Rangers

ZeroGravityFat

INCREDIBLE!!!! I honestly feel like my heart is gonna beat through my chest. Let's put 'em away Friday boys!!!!

I can't even celebrate...I have a headache and am just breathing a sigh of relief lol. I did jump up a little when Carter scored, that's about it.

I've never been as disappointed in so many posts. So quick to bail on these guys and start calling them chokers. No, tonight was not their best effort, but to just bail and give up because the game was tied...I think ths team has earned some faith.

I dont know whats worse. Blowing the 3 goal lead or seeing the posts that turn on this team on a dime.

Brodeur almost made me the 3º member of my family to die of a heart condition... Thanks God for Carter.

The Second period was pure twilight zone Rangers on offense and the Devils scrambling to have possesion of the puck.

I've never been as disappointed in so many posts. So quick to bail on these guys and start calling them chokers. No, tonight was not their best effort, but to just bail and give up because the game was tied...I think this team has earned some faith.

This wasn't about character on our end really...this was like someone said earlier in the thread, finally a game we won that we had no business winning. We were owed one of those in this series, but god damn. Normally teams aren't supposed to get away with blowing 3-0 leads TWICE in a postseason, this team's just weird. They do have character, but not much poise. They did play tighter defensively in the third but really they didn't have many quality chances at all offensively for fifty minutes until Carter bailed us out.

A guy who won three Cups is only a good post season performer and something of a choker? That seems to be a bit much.

Possibly. It is all about percentages. If a goalie allows ten goals in one game is he any good? What if I told you he allowed ten goals on 200 shots? That would be an amazing performance. While that seems like a crazy example I can actually cite something similar. The original Ottawa senators beat the snot out of a team from Dawson city, I think. The score was 23 to 2. The article for this game lauded the Dawson City goalie for his incredible performance because if not for his tremendous effort it would have been worse!!!

So, what does this have to do with Marty? Does he win three cups because the Devils give him that many opportunities? Do the Devils win more cups with other goalies? I don't have an answer for that, but while there are games and even series that I credit with Marty for saving, I can point to games and series where he screwed the proverbial pooch.

Perhaps my wording was an overstatement or a bit unfair, but I think the gist of it is accurate. It is like I said in another thread about quarterbacks. Some QBs played on amazing teams and some did not, so which ones were the key to success and which were along for the ride? It is a never ending debate but an interesting one.

And I want to say that I love Marty, I appreciate him, and I think he is an amazing goalie if only for what he has done for the franchise. I appreciate him as only someone who watched, or rather suffered through, Alain Chevrier could. But I am also an historian (not sports, military) and think that his record should be analyzed without my fan glasses on. That doesn't mean I expect others to do that.

i've wanted to say so many things for the last hour or so, but i've been too shaky, nauseous, sweaty, etc to type. holy fvcking sh!t, guys. now i guess the rags know how it feels to dominate most of a game and lose, kinda like the games we lost this series. im not sure if the rags can play a much better game, and we still won. that's gotta take some wind outta their sails, right? i don't even know what else to say right now i have to collect myself or something. HUGE win..

I've never been as disappointed in so many posts. So quick to bail on these guys and start calling them chokers. No, tonight was not their best effort, but to just bail and give up because the game was tied...I think this team has earned some faith.

It's just venting, anger, and frustration, that's all. Everyone on this board loves this team otherwise we wouldn't be spending time on here. But let's face it, the Rags have given us fits over the years in the playoffs and we've seen the Devils choke to this team, time and time again and we've seen Marty let this team get into his head on more than one occassion. Do some of us maintain our composure better than others? Sure. But that doesnt make anyone less of a fan because they vent and get down at certain times. Whatever, shiit happens. Hopefully with this win it will finally give Marty some revenge to put this team away in front of thousands of fans on Friday night. This game was a pivotal game for both teams. Hats off to the Devils!

Edited by slasher72

I dont know whats worse. Blowing the 3 goal lead or seeing the posts that turn on this team on a dime.

One thing that does worry me is that the Rangers seem to be figuring the Devils out. They started getting it going in Game 4, and really outplayed the Devils for much of this game. Obviously two empty-netters bloat things, but it's ironic that the Devils have outscored them 9-4 in the last two and have won both games.

This win is sweet, we stole won that we really didnt have any business winning. We played a solid 10 minutes but the Rags dominated the majority of the game. Marty didn't have it at times tonight but thankfully neither did the queen. Its nice to win games like this, hopefully it completely demoralizes the rags coming back to the rock. Still your up 3-0 and you give it all up its a choke, fortunatly the boys woke up before it was to late. Can't be upset about much tonight, were 1 win from going back to the finals.

GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!