Kovalchuk to stay in Russia if NHL cuts salaries

ATLL765

http://rt.com/sport/hockey/kovalchuk-nhl-lockout-khl-ska-020/

I think this is all just posturing from the players about not coming back to the NHL if they cut wages, but I thought I might scare a few people for a second, so I shared this with everyone, lol. The way Kovy was talking gives me the impression that despite the deal the NHL just put on the table, things are probably still on track to lose half the season and start around New Years.

On a side note, seems like Kovy is tearing it up over in the KHL with a stat line of: 7G 13A 20P 11GP. Just wish he could be doing that over here for NJ.....

http://rt.com/sport/...ut-khl-ska-020/

I think this is all just posturing from the players about not coming back to the NHL if they cut wages, but I thought I might scare a few people for a second, so I shared this with everyone, lol. The way Kovy was talking gives me the impression that despite the deal the NHL just put on the table, things are probably still on track to lose half the season and start around New Years.

On a side note, seems like Kovy is tearing it up over in the KHL with a stat line of: 7G 13A 20P 11GP. Just wish he could be doing that over here for NJ.....

I guess being 5th in points isnt good enough

• Like 1

I'm not that worried about this. This was an interview to Russian media so he's playing to the audience. Also looks like it was translated from Russian.

All those guys in the past few years that signed front loaded deals did so with the knowledge that the CBA was expiring.

Posturing. And if he stayed in Russia? Good - NJ paid out $12M of a $100M contract and got two years out of him, one of which is probably the best year he'll have here. In 6 years we'll wish he had followed through on his threat.

Oy vey.

He's the best player on the team and will be for the next three years, at least. You've said it yourself, whatever the CBA turns out to be, the Devils will not be a cap team with or without Kovalchuk. We're not writing the checks, and it won't be the difference for the team so far as relocating or not being able to re-sign Zajac, Henrique and Larsson when the time comes.

My question is how they can do this legally?

It all comes down to how seriously each league will be in enforcing the transfer rules, etc. I don't know of any instance where the NHL has filed suit against a player or the KHL for not honoring a contract.

I can't see the NHL seeking an injunction forcing Russian players to play with their NHL teams once the lockout is over, and I'm not sure what damages the NHL could seek against a player other than voiding the remainder of a contract.

• Like 1

Kovalchuk has as much a right to stay in the KHL if his contract/salary is slashed as Lou has the right to suspend Volchenkov of pay if the season were to start tomorrow. These would all be loosely allowed through litigation, but no I don't think it will happen.

It's just posturing. Fehr has all the big-name players as his bulldogs this past week, Parise included.

Edited by DJ Eco

It all comes down to how seriously each league will be in enforcing the transfer rules, etc. I don't know of any instance where the NHL has filed suit against a player or the KHL for not honoring a contract.

I can't see the NHL seeking an injunction forcing Russian players to play with their NHL teams once the lockout is over, and I'm not sure what damages the NHL could seek against a player other than voiding the remainder of a contract.

Good insights

Why wouldn't he be serious? Ask yourself if you'd rather play overseas or at home. Same problem Kovy is being faced with and if he likes the KHL as much as it seems, he's gone.

He has two houses in the US. While his KHL contract may pay him more on a year to year basis, if he gets injured he will get nothing - it's a much larger risk to play in the KHL. And most importantly, the NHL is the most competitive league in the world. Kovalchuk can win all the KHL championships he likes, he can dominate that league, but it's not the NHL. Not to mention that while Russia is home for these guys, it brings with it some oddities that life in the United States does not.

Why wouldn't he be serious? Ask yourself if you'd rather play overseas or at home. Same problem Kovy is being faced with and if he likes the KHL as much as it seems, he's gone.

He seems to like the KHL, because he's a hockey player. He loves what he does. He obviously just wants to get back on the ice in New Jersey and take another run at the Cup.

If he's smiling and enjoying his time in the KHL, that's nothing but a good thing. If he goes there, doesn't produce numbers, and has a frown on his face the whole time, I'd say, "Ehh, somethin's up.."

me neither im not concern, we all know he'll be back. He just said it to dont have his salaries cut. Like he said NHLPA will never accept that and Nhl want to keep their stars

That's what I was saying too. We are pretty assured that the guy didn't sign a 15 year contract, move his family out here, build a house and say all that this is team sh!t just so he could go back to Russia to make a few extra dollars he won't even notice.

He's clearly just saying, and I would not be surprised if all these guys talking about the same this is not coincidence, that he won't come back so the owner's don't just think the players are pushovers.

He seems to like the KHL, because he's a hockey player. He loves what he does. He obviously just wants to get back on the ice in New Jersey and take another run at the Cup.

If he's smiling and enjoying his time in the KHL, that's nothing but a good thing. If he goes there, doesn't produce numbers, and has a frown on his face the whole time, I'd say, "Ehh, somethin's up.."

I don't know, your argument of him being a hockey player and just loving what he does, doesn't work in our favor as that very well may be a reason for him to say "it's the same game, the KHL is probably the second best league in the world, why not stay"

I find it hard to get worked up or even care about comments made by players during a lock out. Its all posturing BS IMO. I highly doubt Kovy stays in the KHL once the lockout is over unless the salary change is massive. I don't think the players will agree to anything like that to begin with. This is a non-story as far as Im concerned.