41 replies to this topic

#21 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:22 PM

I actually was in Port 44 today and they are doing their grand opening on Wednesday and looking to have their brews available for friday. The brewmaster was pretty cool and will answer any questions you have. :cheers:

Oh neat. How was the menu?
Posted Image
I! I believe! I believe that we! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win!

#22 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

Menu was pretty standard bar fair, nothing to write home about. I think they took the right approach though. Simple food that compliments their beer. I also signed up for the beer of the month thing.

#23 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

Works moving along nicely on the first building. New windows, all clean and painted. The first floor is still boarded up and not finished yet but above looks done on the outside. They're adding on to it in the alley between there and the middle Edison building. So far the addition is all cinder block with a curved steel second floor overhang on the inside. It seems to me like the original plans are still in effect that eventually they'll work on the side facing Championship Plaza like in the renderings.
The part on the left matches the cinderblock part they're building now. This is the side facing the arena.
BlauBerg
Here's a before
Posted Image
And here's a current from HF boards. I'll try to upload a picture of the addition at some point. You can see the cinder block going up between the two buildings. Then on the right you can see the fake brick that they'll hopefully remove and do what the rendering shows (below).
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I! I believe! I believe that we! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win! I believe that we will win!

#24 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,064 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

any idea what is supposed to go in there? Bar, restaurant, or retail or unknown?

#25 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

any idea what is supposed to go in there? Bar, restaurant, or retail or unknown?

Last I heard, a wine bar and an Irish pub in the building next to it but that was a while ago. Newarkdevil1 has heard more than I have.
Posted Image

#26 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:49 PM

Last I heard, a wine bar and an Irish pub in the building next to it but that was a while ago. Newarkdevil1 has heard more than I have.

So it's gonna be a ale house on the 1rst floor of the building and it's connected with the people running brick city bar and grill. The second floor is reserved for expansion for two restaurants, the ale house and the bar that's being built on the old gargage site. The city's building department nixed the windows facing out to the plaza (massively stupid). The part that has me interested is the 3rd spot (former calabash building) as Levy has started work on it but I think he has to go residential with at least a part of that.

#27 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

So it's gonna be a ale house on the 1rst floor of the building and it's connected with the people running brick city bar and grill. The second floor is reserved for expansion for two restaurants, the ale house and the bar that's being built on the old gargage site. The city's building department nixed the windows facing out to the plaza (massively stupid). The part that has me interested is the 3rd spot (former calabash building) as Levy has started work on it but I think he has to go residential with at least a part of that.

Why? Thats so dumb. It would make Championship Plaza something more interesting than a plain brick walkway, it would have actually become an active place. I hope they atleast put up real brick and try to decorate it somewhat.
Thanks for filling in. A Buca di Beppo would be amazing there. This is the Columbus location directly across an entry plaza from Nationwide Arena in theArena District.Posted Image

A boutique hotel would be cool too. Have a small entrance on the Edison side then the main entrance on Market because I believe the Calabash building is going to connect to 218 Market. There needs to be more to the area than bar, bar, bar, bar etc. Atleast the new John's Pizzeria adds something different to the mix.

Edited by The Rock 07, 27 September 2010 - 07:50 PM.

Posted Image

#28 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

A small live music venue/restaurant or a comedy club would be cool as well. As would a Lucky Strike or a Famous Dave's BBQ Blues Club

The area needs more entertainment options that would get people to come downtown. A Paramount Theater restoration would be an amazing addition as well.

Edited by The Rock 07, 27 September 2010 - 07:40 PM.

Posted Image

#29 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

Ya well Levy just doesn't see the strong demand to build upwards and since he doesn't do residential I think he would have to have someone who wanted boutique office space. Either way as long as he gets bars at the base of all three the alley should be jumping. If they actually go and do the proposal of extending beaver st it would be even cooler.

#30 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

The addition where the garage was is gaining some height. Kindof strange that its cinder block the whole way up :noclue:
Posted Image

#31 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:55 PM

The addition where the garage was is gaining some height. Kindof strange that its cinder block the whole way up :noclue:

Well the building is designed a bit different structurally, The existing structures and new building use the brick walls and cinderblock walls as the load bearing walls to hold the steal girders. I was a bit surprised at the offset of the building which seems like it will result in a facade that's a foot back from the existing building but whatev. I am just psyched to see the space filling out and each year we end up with new places opening up.

#32 The Rock 07

The Rock 07

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:28 PM

There's an Alcoholic Beverage Control Board sign on the building that says that the restaurant coming there will be called "Edison Ale House".
Posted Image

#33 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:19 AM

There's an Alcoholic Beverage Control Board sign on the building that says that the restaurant coming there will be called "Edison Ale House".

Yup that's the bar related to BCBG, next door should be a lounge assuming that works out and a few exising bars have approached Levy about moving into the former Calabash building. Then the question is who becomes the anchor bar for the former foot locker building that will become an Indgo hotel and what might move into the first building on Market...either way a win win for fans.

#34 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

Why? Thats so dumb. It would make Championship Plaza something more interesting than a plain brick walkway, it would have actually become an active place. I hope they atleast put up real brick and try to decorate it somewhat.
Thanks for filling in. A Buca di Beppo would be amazing there. This is the Columbus location directly across an entry plaza from Nationwide Arena in theArena District.Posted Image

A boutique hotel would be cool too. Have a small entrance on the Edison side then the main entrance on Market because I believe the Calabash building is going to connect to 218 Market. There needs to be more to the area than bar, bar, bar, bar etc. Atleast the new John's Pizzeria adds something different to the mix.

I was just saying to my Dad that the best thing Newark developers could do is go to Columbus and take a look at the area around Nationwide.
Posted Image Posted Image

#35 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

Doesn't look like much is going on right now with construction

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#36 ChilltownDevs2673

ChilltownDevs2673

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

I'll take a picture next time im there but they have the addition up on the side of the building. Just brick face and window framing has to go in.

RANGERS SUCK; FLYERS SWALLOW!!!

#37 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:05 AM

I'll take a picture next time im there but they have the addition up on the side of the building. Just brick face and window framing has to go in.

I'll have to take a look next time I walk by.. It's been so cold the last few games I've been to that I just put my head down until I reach the PNC Tower.. I'm excited to see this place open up.. I just hope it doesn't have Brick City BnG prices :blink:

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#38 ChilltownDevs2673

ChilltownDevs2673

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

I'll have to take a look next time I walk by.. It's been so cold the last few games I've been to that I just put my head down until I reach the PNC Tower.. I'm excited to see this place open up.. I just hope it doesn't have Brick City BnG prices :blink:

I think it might just because they own it. I'll be at the game on the 23rd; I'll take pics then.

RANGERS SUCK; FLYERS SWALLOW!!!

#39 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:17 AM

I saw the sign is up but didn't' have a chance to take a picture...Edison Ale House.

#40 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:22 AM

Seems like a generic name. Wonder what's going in the upper floors(offices?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users