Draft Position Watch Thread

Triumph

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not one to encourage tanking, but I hope the Devils play some prospects at this point to hopefully move up in the draft and give some kids experience.  Win-win.

Im with you here. It sounds like its going to happen too. TG tweeted that they're having the end of season meetings with Albany staff today and intimated some of the young guys will be brought to NJ. 

I think we're going to go 1-2 over these last 3, maybe 2-1 depending on how hard Pittsburgh wants the 2nd to last game of the season. The Rags game could be insane if they need it to get in. That would be some sweet revenge.

judging from the oilers' ridiculous luck, they will probably win the lottery, and we will get the second overall pick from our ridiculous luck at the larsson pick.

That's literally impossible.  The lottery only determines one pick.  The only way they get one and we get two is if they finish last/win the lottery, we finish second to last which is basically impossible.

the only kids that would possibly play would be urbom and gelinas. anyone else playing from albany would be a gift and nothing towards the future. none of the forwards there are guys really looked to for contribution. perhaps tedenby gets a game as a consolation for having his face torn in half.

(obviously i'd love for merrill, severson and boucher to get a game but that is not possible).

the only kids that would possibly play would be urbom and gelinas. anyone else playing from albany would be a gift and nothing towards the future. none of the forwards there are guys really looked to for contribution. perhaps tedenby gets a game as a consolation for having his face torn in half.

(obviously i'd love for merrill, severson and boucher to get a game but that is not possible).

Im just waiting to see how Larsson gets benched

Updated After Monday's Games
1. Florida - 32 Pts 3 GR 10 ROW (25.0%)
2. Colorado - 37 Pts 3 GR 14 ROW (18.8%)
3. Tampa Bay - 38 Pts 3 GR 16 ROW (14.2%)
4. Nashville - 39 Pts 3 GR 13 ROW (10.7%)
5. Carolina - 39 Pts 3 GR 18 ROW (8.1%)
6. Edmonton - 41 Pts 3 GR 15 ROW (6.2%)
7. Calgary - 42 Pts 3 GR 19 ROW (4.7%)
8. Philadelphia - 43 Pts 3 GR 19 ROW (3.6%)
9. Buffalo - 44 Pts 2 GR 13 ROW (2.7%)
10. New Jersey - 44 Pts 3 GR 15 ROW (2.1%)
11. Phoenix - 46 Pts 3 GR 15 ROW (1.5%)
12. Dallas - 48 Pts 3 GR 20 ROW (1.1%)
13. Detroit - 50 Pts 3 GR 19 ROW (0.8%)
14. Winnipeg - 51 Pts 2 GR 22 ROW (0.5%)

Tuesday's Games of Interest

New Jersey vs. Montreal
Carolina vs. Islanders
Buffalo vs. Pittsburgh
Philadelphia vs. Boston
Calgary vs. Nashville
Dallas vs. San Jose

The Devils can't finish higher than 3rd which is why the Florida and Colorado games aren't included.

EDIT: Devils can't pass Winnipeg. I'm going to bold the teams they can't pass one way or the other.

EDIT 2: Can't pass Detroit as pointed out by SMantzas.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Updated After Monday's Games

1. Florida - 32 Pts 3 GR 10 ROW (25.0%)

2. Colorado - 37 Pts 3 GR 14 ROW (18.8%)

4. Nashville - 39 Pts 3 GR 13 ROW (10.7%)

5. Carolina - 39 Pts 3 GR 18 ROW (8.1%)

7. Calgary - 42 Pts 3 GR 19 ROW (4.7%)

8. Philadelphia - 43 Pts 3 GR 19 ROW (3.6%)

9. Buffalo - 44 Pts 2 GR 13 ROW (2.7%)

10. New Jersey - 44 Pts 3 GR 15 ROW (2.1%)

12. Dallas - 48 Pts 3 GR 20 ROW (1.1%)

14. Winnipeg - 51 Pts 2 GR 22 ROW (0.5%)

Tuesday's Games of Interest

New Jersey vs. Montreal

Carolina vs. Islanders

Buffalo vs. Pittsburgh

Philadelphia vs. Boston

Calgary vs. Nashville

Dallas vs. San Jose

The Devils can't finish higher than 3rd which is why the Florida and Colorado games aren't included.

EDIT: Devils can't pass Winnipeg. I'm going to bold the teams they can't pass one way or the other.

Cant pass Detroit either as we'd have less ROW regardless

in a perfect scenario (if you strictly look at it for a better draft pick) is if we lose all our remaining games

Buffalo, Philly and Calgary would just have to win one game to jump over us. Edmonton and Carolina would have to win 2 and Nashville and Tampa would have to win 3... They'd all win the tiebreaker against us too i think? 

If we win one game... Buffalo, Phily and Calgary would have to win 2 of course. Carolina couldnt jump over us even if they win all their remaining games. Edmonton would have to win all their remaining games.

so if w lose all our games the lower we can possibly pick is 3rd... if we win one then we'd be picking 6th at best.

Edited by SterioDesign

Perfect scenario so far... Philly won boston, buffalo won pittsburgh, carolina won islanders, florida won NYR... The only bummer is that nashville is winning calgary but since we won they wont be able to jump over us i think anyway

Edited by SterioDesign

Why did we win today? We would have been in a MUCH better situation drafting wise if we lost today. We would already at this time have the 8th pick, with it being possibly 7th if Calgary wins.

You think the players or coaches are thinking about a draft pick?  Besides, the best they're getting to at this point is 6, the worst is 12.  That's not exactly a huge difference.

You think the players or coaches are thinking about a draft pick?  Besides, the best they're getting to at this point is 6, the worst is 12.  That's not exactly a huge difference.

It's a way bigger difference than the one between 29 and a theoretical 20 or so that everyone's complaining about.

It's a way bigger difference than the one between 29 and a theoretical 20 or so that everyone's complaining about.

Being 6 is right around Barkov/Drouin/Nurse territory. 12 would require someone to be in freefall for that quality to happen (though it happened 2x last year w/ Grigorenko and Forsberg 

1. Florida - 34 Pts 2 GR 11 ROW (25.0%)
2. Colorado - 37 Pts 2 GR 14 ROW (18.8%)
4. Nashville - 41 Pts 2 GR 14 ROW (10.7%)
5. Carolina - 41 Pts 2 GR 18 ROW (8.1%)
7. Calgary - 42 Pts 2 GR 19 ROW (4.7%)
8. Philadelphia - 45 Pts 2 GR 20 ROW (3.6%)
9. Buffalo - 46 Pts 1 GR 14 ROW (2.7%)
10. New Jersey - 46 Pts 2 GR 16 ROW (2.1%)
12. Dallas - 48 Pts 2 GR 20 ROW (1.1%)
14. Winnipeg - 51 Pts 1 GR 22 ROW (0.5%)

Keep in mind this version of the standings is going by nhl.com and they take in account games remaining. Bolded are teams the Devils can't pass one way or the other.

Wednesday's Games of Interest
Edmonton vs. Chicago
Phoenix vs. San Jose

Tampa Bay and Detroit both have games that will affect the lottery but not the Devils position in it.

My latest Top 10 Mock:

1. FLA - Seth Jones, D, Portland (WHL)

2. COL - Nathan Mackinnon, C/RW, Halifax (QMJHL)

3. TB - Jonathan Drouin, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)

4. NSH - Aleksander Barkov, C/RW, Tappara (FIN)

5. CAR - Elias Lindholm, C/LW, Brynäs (SWE)

6. EDM - Darnell Nurse, D, Sault Ste. (OHL)

7. CGY - Valeri Nichushkin, C/LW, Chelyabinsk (RUS)

8. PHI - Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS (FIN)

9. BUF - Hunter Shinkaruk, LW, Medicine Hat (WHL)

10. NJ - Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa (OHL)

I'm not sure if I'd perfer Shinkaruk or Monahan, but who cares! Both guys are easy top 5 picks any other year. Since the Sabres are loaded up front prospect wise I wouldn't be surprised if they took someone like Pulock

My latest Top 10 Mock:

1. FLA - Seth Jones, D, Portland (WHL)

2. COL - Nathan Mackinnon, C/RW, Halifax (QMJHL)

3. TB - Jonathan Drouin, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)

4. NSH - Aleksander Barkov, C/RW, Tappara (FIN)

5. CAR - Elias Lindholm, C/LW, Brynäs (SWE)

6. EDM - Darnell Nurse, D, Sault Ste. (OHL)

7. CGY - Valeri Nichushkin, C/LW, Chelyabinsk (RUS)

8. PHI - Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS (FIN)

9. BUF - Hunter Shinkaruk, LW, Medicine Hat (WHL)

10. NJ - Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa (OHL)

If you're right about that, Nashville will have hit the mother lode this year getting Barkov and Forsberg.