This Red Bulls commercial

Blown01NJ

The fact that we have a hockey team that embraces our state, and has done so for 30 plus years, means that it can be a successful operation. Everyone debates the grey area the Philly sports market begins to crawl into the picture, but considering the total population of the counties south to Ocean, this market has some serious potential. Devils ownership has never done a serious job marketing, the Nets never did either. We realistically have a population of close to 6 million to draw from. And there are actually a lot more Devils fans in South Jersey than people think their are. Youll see a lot of cars with Phillies Eagles and Devils stickers, because just having that name means a lot to people all over the state. Ive met Devils fans from Cape May, Millville, Cherry Hill, Atlantic County, as Im sure you all have. Putting a team right in the cultural heart of North Jersey and calling it New York is beyond disrespectful to me personally. Sure, I understand the business side, but I also understand the business side of murder and sex trafficking. When NYCFC starts playing, how can they possibly justify the NY identity when theres a market of 6 million they can be marketing to and creating a unique identity.

How is the Bimbo sponsorship nearly as reprehensible as Red Bull rebranding an entire club to market a drink?

The fact that we have a hockey team that embraces our state, and has done so for 30 plus years, means that it can be a successful operation. Everyone debates the grey area the Philly sports market begins to crawl into the picture, but considering the total population of the counties south to Ocean, this market has some serious potential. Devils ownership has never done a serious job marketing, the Nets never did either. We realistically have a population of close to 6 million to draw from. And there are actually a lot more Devils fans in South Jersey than people think their are. Youll see a lot of cars with Phillies Eagles and Devils stickers, because just having that name means a lot to people all over the state. Ive met Devils fans from Cape May, Millville, Cherry Hill, Atlantic County, as Im sure you all have. Putting a team right in the cultural heart of North Jersey and calling it New York is beyond disrespectful to me personally. Sure, I understand the business side, but I also understand the business side of murder and sex trafficking. When NYCFC starts playing, how can they possibly justify the NY identity when theres a market of 6 million they can be marketing to and creating a unique identity.

How is the Bimbo sponsorship nearly as reprehensible as Red Bull rebranding an entire club to market a drink?

So what if NYCFC joins? It's not like this is the first time New York had had more than one team in the same league so it's not like it will create a huge schism or issue with fans.

The devils have also come this close to moving in 1995 and almost got taken over by the league (or at least some chatter about it) earlier this year before the new owners swooped in and saved them. Keeping the devils in New Jersey has not been easy and to keep them here now for over 30 years is pretty impressive given that there are more traditional and established markets like Quebec that still don't have a team. Turning the red bulls into a New Jersey team will also alienate New Yorkers who take the path to the stadium for every game.

Also IDK about you but when people are me in a red bulls jersey they at least recognize the logo. With bimbo unless you buy their bread or follow MLS you will get some strange looks. Trust me on that.

naming the team NY Red Bull....OK

saying you play for the NY Red Bull...OK

saying you play in the worlds greatest city....nope

They obviously did not make that commercial for die hard MLS or red bull fans. They made it to attract the casual fans who only see their name an logo and probably think that they do indeed play in New York City. Same exact thing with jets and giants

So what if NYCFC joins? It's not like this is the first time New York had had more than one team in the same league so it's not like it will create a huge schism or issue with fans.

The devils have also come this close to moving in 1995 and almost got taken over by the league (or at least some chatter about it) earlier this year before the new owners swooped in and saved them. Keeping the devils in New Jersey has not been easy and to keep them here now for over 30 years is pretty impressive given that there are more traditional and established markets like Quebec that still don't have a team. Turning the red bulls into a New Jersey team will also alienate New Yorkers who take the path to the stadium for every game.

Also IDK about you but when people are me in a red bulls jersey they at least recognize the logo. With bimbo unless you buy their bread or follow MLS you will get some strange looks. Trust me on that.

What are you talking about? There has been an issue with the fans on this since 1996, even before then. It makes zero sense to have a New York team in New York and a New York team in New Jersey. They play in essentially the same city the New Jersey Devils play and the New Jersey Nets played. Not the city the New York Rangers and New York Knicks play. The majority of people in NY will not keep getting on the path to RB games when NYCFC takes the field. Especially considering the marketing blitz im sure theyre going to undertake.

Keeping the Devils in Jersey was tough because the legacy of the NY/Philly dominance in the state was going to take at least a generation to overcome. Plus no one wanted to go to that cultureless pit at the Meadowlands, and like Ive said, ownership has constantly dropped the ball on marketing efforts. Things are turning around, and the potential of the NJ market can start to be realized. Am I really.arguing the merits of the New Jersey sports market with a Devils fan?

Edited by thecoffeecake

Like I said before, I understand the business of why Red Bull went with NY. Of course it was smart and it has worked out tremendously. From a personal standpoint, I just don't feel a connection to them. The MetroStars days may have been tough but I still have some great memories. I am happy for the success RBNY is having now, their fans deserve it.

It will be interesting to see how the fans split between RBNY and NYCFC. RBNY is highly succesful and has star power right now with Henry and Cahill, though who knows what DP's they will have when NYCFC comes in. You know MLS will be pushing to make NYCFC as successful as possible and with money backed by the Yankees and more importantly Manchester City (Sheikh Mansour) they will definitely be aggressive getting designated players. I'm sure location of the stadium will be important in creating a geographic divide between the fans. They are trying to get it done in Queens though I could see them temporarily using New Yankee Stadium as a home to start.

Honestly, I'm thrilled to see the success MLS is having. The addition of the Cascadian teams has been great, Montreal has been another good addition, and NYCFC and Orlando (which has great support already) will really help propel the league forward. Looks like Beckham is trying to get his franchise in Miami and Atlanta is likely the 4th team in this next round of expansion - though far from certain.

its the same thing with the jets an giants. everytime they are featured on sunday's nbc game, they always mention new york

At least with the Giants and Jets, they have a history of playing NY, Giants (1925-1973, 1975) and Jets/Titans (1960-83). That and me not being so passionate about the NFL is one reason why it doesn't irk me.

I, too, have always understood the whole marketing reasoning behind the the Red Bull group labeling the soccer team New York after it bought the team. But same as with fiesty and coffeecake, the name has awlays irked me, especially considering that the team was never from New York to begin with -- unlike the Jets and Giants.

Maybe if both the NYCFC and Cosmos seriously dilute New Yorkers' dedication to the Red Bulls, the team could re-name itself Red Bull Newark, after New Jersey's largest city, which happens to be right next door to Harrison. It would be such a slight name change, would Red Bull fans throughout the world even notice if they did it?

Edited by 95Crash

It's not just here that teams have different names. The Detroit Pistons play in Auburn Hills, the San Francisco 49ers are moving to Santa Clara, etc. Teams play in markets. If they didn't, they couldn't generate enough fans. The Giants and Jets have fans from the city, and the Yankees and Mets have fans from NJ. Most of us grew up in the NY market, and in every sport but hockey, and basketball until last year, there is no difference between NY and NJ. Furthermore, most of our parents grew up before the Devils existed, and if we grew up watching with them (I didn't, because my parents aren't huge hockey fans), we probably grew up identifying with NY teams. I therefore don't get the blanket hate of NY, and I say this as a huge Ranger hater, who became a Devils fan mostly because I couldn't stand the morons rooting for the Rags. I do get the pain/bitterness toward RBNY for abandoning NJ as a name, but New York/New Jersey Metrostars was one of the worst names in the history of sports. They had to pick one or the other, and, whether some of us like it or not, we play in the New York market, and there's a lot of money in that market. The Red Bulls built a stadium in Harrison. They've done a great job working with Harrison and PATH to make that stadium and city and accessible and desirable destination (just look at the building that's gone up around the stadium). They've done a lot of good for NJ, when they could have pushed NYC to build them a stadium, like Man City and the Yankees just did. Name or not, the Red Bulls have shown some Jersey loyalty, and the product they put on the field, which should not only make all the fans proud, but also generates money in Harrison, is possible at least partially due to New York's international appeal, and the money New Yorkers spend on the team. I get why some people here have a problem with the name, especially since any Devils fan has to have some amount of an inferiority complex, but I don't believe that Red Bull has screwed over NJ in some terrible way. I am interested to see what happens when the Red Bulls aren't the only team in the market. They may need to embrace Jersey more, though they also need to work to keep their fans from NY when they have competition in the city.

Edited by mouse

It's not just here that teams have different names. The Detroit Pistons play in Auburn Hills, the San Francisco 49ers are moving to Santa Clara, etc. Teams play in markets. If they didn't, they couldn't generate enough fans. The Giants and Jets have fans from the city, and the Yankees and Mets have fans from NJ. Most of us grew up in the NY market, and in every sport but hockey, and basketball until last year, there is no difference between NY and NJ. Furthermore, most of our parents grew up before the Devils existed, and if we grew up watching with them (I didn't, because my parents aren't huge hockey fans), we probably grew up identifying with NY teams. I therefore don't get the blanket hate of NY, and I say this as a huge Ranger hater, who became a Devils fan mostly because I couldn't stand the morons rooting for the Rags. I do get the pain/bitterness toward RBNY for abandoning NJ as a name, but New York/New Jersey Metrostars was one of the worst names in the history of sports. They had to pick one or the other, and, whether some of us like it or not, we play in the New York market, and there's a lot of money in that market. The Red Bulls built a stadium in Harrison. They've done a great job working with Harrison and PATH to make that stadium and city and accessible and desirable destination (just look at the building that's gone up around the stadium). They've done a lot of good for NJ, when they could have pushed NYC to build them a stadium, like Man City and the Yankees just did. Name or not, the Red Bulls have shown some Jersey loyalty, and the product they put on the field, which should not only make all the fans proud, but also generates money in Harrison, is possible at least partially due to New York's international appeal, and the money New Yorkers spend on the team. I get why some people here have a problem with the name, especially since any Devils fan has to have some amount of an inferiority complex, but I don't believe that Red Bull has screwed over NJ in some terrible way. I am interested to see what happens when the Red Bulls aren't the only team in the market. They may need to embrace Jersey more, though they also need to work to keep their fans from NY when they have competition in the city.

I get that North Jersey has many soccer fans that are simply happy that there is a MLS team in our backyard. The team is doing well, and I am sure the games are a lot of fun.

And I get the point about sports markets. New York is a huge sports market, no doubt about it.

But I still don't agree that it rightly justifies the Red Bulls using the New York name.

From the very beginning, the MetroStars/Red Bulls have been the only MLS team around. Had they named themselves New Jersey right from the start, would no soccer fans from New York have come over here to watch the games? I think they would have.

To compare New Jersey to Auburn Hills and Santa Clara is sort of insulting.

MLS has the Columbus Crew, San Jose Earthquakes and something called Chivas USA.

The NFL has the Green Bay Packers and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

And there are many pro sports teams named after not major markets but entire states: Arizona, Colorado, Minnesota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and even one called Golden State. ... Not to mention the New Jersey Devils.

The Red Bulls could've easily used the New Jersey or Newark name and been successful. They just wanted to glom off of New York City.

They obviously did not make that commercial for die hard MLS or red bull fans. They made it to attract the casual fans who only see their name an logo and probably think that they do indeed play in New York City. Same exact thing with jets and giants

Those people they are targeting will be in for quite the surprise when they step off the Path train in Harrison and see this ...

stadium.533.jpg

Not exactly the picturesque image of Manhattan that they are trying to portray in those commercials. 

Ok if they want to call themselves New york for the "glam" of it, and because I guess some New Yorkers for whatever reason can't root for NJ teams while we all root for their team, then fine.. But do they even really ever acknowledge New Jersey's existence? I mean, I've been to games and I don't think NJ is ever mentioned anywhere.. Just think they could do a better job acknowledging the state's existence and strong support of their team.. If people from NJ stopped going to games I bet the franchise would die out

If it wasn't for New Jersey finally standing up for itself for the Super Bowl, we ALL know it would be the "New York Super Bowl" and they wouldn't mention NJ at all.. They'd refer to the location of the stadium as "Just a few miles from Manhattan" and only show images of the NYC skyline.. Hell, I watched a Rutgers football game once (on national TV I think) and they kept showing the NY skyline.. WTF is that?! I pay for that damn school and that football program, not the people in NYC

Edited by Colin226

just the way it is NYC gets a ton of recognition just for being NYC.. there is nothing in northern nj that gets any recognition.. what newark lol newark is not such a great place theres nothing there... well besides our prudential center.. NYC has a lot of historic things a ton actually and everyone knows it for something different.. jersey has the jersey shores which isnt really near our location up here for say near metlife.. i guess.. not justifying anything just saying ya knoww

just the way it is NYC gets a ton of recognition just for being NYC.. there is nothing in northern nj that gets any recognition.. what newark lol newark is not such a great place theres nothing there... well besides our prudential center.. NYC has a lot of historic things a ton actually and everyone knows it for something different.. jersey has the jersey shores which isnt really near our location up here for say near metlife.. i guess.. not justifying anything just saying ya knoww

Not attacking you here but more the idea that NYC has something NJ doesn't.. They have a lot of wealthy people, more skyscrapers, and a ton of lights.. History though? I can go to Morristown and see Washington's Headquarters, or down to Princeton area and see where Washington crossed the Delaware and saved the most important war in our history (not to mention the beautiful hiking and biking trails around there).. Need to shop? NJ has a ridiculous number of malls with lower sales tax to boot.. Need the arts? We don't have Broadway but we do have several great arts centers and some good museums too.. Looking for some semblance of nature? We don't need a man-made green rectangle to help us escape from overpriced concrete cells like folks in NYC do.. We have real nature to go out and be in, as well as farms and rivers.. Looking to eat well? Tell me something NYC has that NJ doesn't (aside from 3 Michelin star restaurants, not that normal folks eat at those places often anyway)

Our problem is that all of these things are more spread out and not confined to an overcrowded, overpriced island.. You can't take a cab or subway to any of these options in a short amount of time.. I think part of it too is that we live near NYC so it's not as much of a shock to go there as it is for other visitors.. Whenever I go to another city I'm like "that skyline is a joke", but people from other cities are completely blown away by the NYC skyline and massive hustle-and-bustle, and rightfully so as a visitor.. But really what do those things really offer?.. Just saying, that doesn't mean they actually have something we don't (other than impressively tall buildings)

Part of NJ's problem is that people don't see the good parts.. So when visitors fly into Newark all they see are giant oil containers, a shipyard, and those junky areas east of Newark but west of Jersey City.. I don't blame them for averting their eyes to NYC and trying to get over there ASAP.. Problem is, they don't see the beautiful parts of the state and the things that make it great.. Which is somewhat OK in that we get to enjoy it ourselves, just wish we got more respect for what our state actually offers

But I also think that there is a growing movement (mainly amongst young people) to have more pride in the state and stand up for it.. My parents talk about how, when they grew up in the 50's and 60's, NJ was a lot more farmland and NYC had a lower drinking age so everyone went there.. And they believe that's contributed to an older thinking that NJ doesn't have much to offer, but NYC is this different place that has everything NJ doesn't

what i was getting at is NYC is more known for what it has all with in its city.. not threw out the state of NY lol.. Empire State Building,Chrysler building, World Trade Center, Statue of Liberty, ellis island, museum of natural history even... so on and so on even grand central is like a historic building i believe.. the tourist attraction says it all... lol people across the county do not care if NJ has more shopping malls with lower tax rates LMAO.. its the point that NYC is NYC its just one of those icons in our counrty known for what it has and what it is. its not like theyre talking about the mountains in up state NY saying something about the state of NY .. its just because its NYC

what i was getting at is NYC is more known for what it has all with in its city.. not threw out the state of NY lol.. Empire State Building,Chrysler building, World Trade Center, Statue of Liberty, ellis island, museum of natural history even... so on and so on even grand central is like a historic building i believe.. the tourist attraction says it all... lol people across the county do not care if NJ has more shopping malls with lower tax rates LMAO.. its the point that NYC is NYC its just one of those icons in our counrty known for what it has and what it is. its not like theyre talking about the mountains in up state NY saying something about the state of NY .. its just because its NYC

I agree with what you're saying.  It's all about marketing, and NYC is the draw.  However, NJ owns 1/2 of the WTC (the Port Authority actually owns the site, but it is a bi-state agency 1/2 owned by NYS and 1/2 owned by NJ).  NJ also owns everything but the vistor's center on Ellis Island.  

Not attacking you here but more the idea that NYC has something NJ doesn't.. They have a lot of wealthy people, more skyscrapers, and a ton of lights.. History though? I can go to Morristown and see Washington's Headquarters, or down to Princeton area and see where Washington crossed the Delaware and saved the most important war in our history (not to mention the beautiful hiking and biking trails around there).. Need to shop? NJ has a ridiculous number of malls with lower sales tax to boot.. Need the arts? We don't have Broadway but we do have several great arts centers and some good museums too.. Looking for some semblance of nature? We don't need a man-made green rectangle to help us escape from overpriced concrete cells like folks in NYC do.. We have real nature to go out and be in, as well as farms and rivers.. Looking to eat well? Tell me something NYC has that NJ doesn't (aside from 3 Michelin star restaurants, not that normal folks eat at those places often anyway)

Our problem is that all of these things are more spread out and not confined to an overcrowded, overpriced island.. You can't take a cab or subway to any of these options in a short amount of time.. I think part of it too is that we live near NYC so it's not as much of a shock to go there as it is for other visitors.. Whenever I go to another city I'm like "that skyline is a joke", but people from other cities are completely blown away by the NYC skyline and massive hustle-and-bustle, and rightfully so as a visitor.. But really what do those things really offer?.. Just saying, that doesn't mean they actually have something we don't (other than impressively tall buildings)

Part of NJ's problem is that people don't see the good parts.. So when visitors fly into Newark all they see are giant oil containers, a shipyard, and those junky areas east of Newark but west of Jersey City.. I don't blame them for averting their eyes to NYC and trying to get over there ASAP.. Problem is, they don't see the beautiful parts of the state and the things that make it great.. Which is somewhat OK in that we get to enjoy it ourselves, just wish we got more respect for what our state actually offers

But I also think that there is a growing movement (mainly amongst young people) to have more pride in the state and stand up for it.. My parents talk about how, when they grew up in the 50's and 60's, NJ was a lot more farmland and NYC had a lower drinking age so everyone went there.. And they believe that's contributed to an older thinking that NJ doesn't have much to offerbut NYC is this different place that has everything NJ doesn't

I'm as "pro NJ" as anyone, but this post is fairly dismissive. NYC is the cultural center of the world. It has major influence on the arts, architecture, entertainment and especially fashion. I'm not going to go all research paper here, but to dismiss NYC as just a bunch of rich people (NJ is the 3rd wealthiest state in the US), skyscrapers (many of architectural importance) and lights (it's a global city!) is not a particularly well thought out assessment,

NJ isn't overcrowded? LOL! Not by direct comparison, but it's clear the population has started to outgrow the state.

People do prefer the city so they don't own a car. Living in NYC you don't need one. It's great AND you still get to the same places every one else can in the Metro area. 

As i said, i am as pro-NJ as anyone from making a living and family here. While NJ has it's positives in the forms of many things, one can not realistically throw NJ up against NYC and say THERE!

Edited by TheRedStorm

I was more or less taking a stab at the argument lol.. Obviously it's a great city with many attractions and I get that.. Part of our view on the city is slightly skewed in that we live here.. I don't go in to do the toursity things like go to the tops of buildings, wait in a long line to eat at Carnegie Deli, or walk around looking at people for fashion advice.. In fact everyone I know who lives there really hates everything touristy about the city, so that juxtaposition is kind of funny

I do harbor a decent amount of resentment towards the hate NJ gets from New Yorkers.. We've all heard that the only good thing about NJ is the view of NYC.. My buddy's friends from the city would not even consider living in Hoboken because "you really expect me to live in Jersey?!", so now he pays $1,600 a month in a 6 person concrete cell (pretty much that small) so that he can live in the city with them

Oh, and people who see NJ as overcrowded are just living in the wrong part of the state lol.. Even western Essex county isn't overcrowded and you can bus to NYC in 40 minutes

Edited by Colin226

It is near impossible to argue that New Jersey is more popular than New York. But that's not the point. If the Red Bulls want to market themselves as New York, that's where they should be playing.

The Devils prove that New Jersey is marketable in its own right.

It is near impossible to argue that New Jersey is more popular than New York. But that's not the point. If the Red Bulls want to market themselves as New York, that's where they should be playing.

The Devils prove that New Jersey is marketable in its own right.

If that logic holds true, then the Detroit Pistons, Ottawa Senators, NY Jets and NY Giants need to start building new arenas or find new places to play real soon.

If that logic holds true, then the Detroit Pistons, Ottawa Senators, NY Jets and NY Giants need to start building new arenas or find new places to play real soon.

They really should!! Why are we paying for stadiums housing teams that don't even play for our state? NJ residents are still paying off the debt from Giants Stadium and it doesn't even exist anymore

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/taxpayers-owe-110-million-for-old-giants-stadium/