• Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

NHL lockout: Lack of respect, mutual mistrust left over from 2005 stoppage

There is an undercurrent of unfinished business from the lockout that canceled the 2004-05 season. It's not just because the league let the players' percentage of HRR climb to 57 percent and left too many loopholes for teams and agents to exploit, and now the league wants the players' percentage of HRR under 50 percent and those loopholes closed. It's not just because the union accepted a salary cap and 24-percent salary rollback, and now the players don't want to take another pay cut.

The owners think the players should be grateful for how the last labor agreement worked out for them; the players feel they were sold a bill of goods and are being sold one again. The players think the owners aren't solving their problems; the owners don't appreciate being told how to run their businesses. The owners don't respect the players' resolve; the players don't trust the owners' ethics.

The players know they have already lost – that it is just a matter of how much they will lose at this point. They know the owners have the leverage of the lockout. They know they might give up money that they'll never get back. They know they are taking a risk if they play in Europe. They know they broke last time.

But they insist they are more united and informed than they were last time – partly because of last time, thanks to their experience, thanks to Fehr – and they feel if they give in again that the owners will just come back again.

"The players are now looking for fairness and reasonableness more than anything else," Pulver said. "It comes down to the level of fairness and respect, really, and holding together as a group."

It might be a while.

EDIT: Article link wasn't working originally. I think I fixed it.

Edited by 95Crash

This week will dictate what kind of lockout we have. IF they make progress we might lose like a week of games or none if lucky. If they keep up this stupid cold war bullsh!t then we're missing months of the season

They are going to miss months of the season. That's already established.

Wednesday would have been the first day of the preseason for us. To think we could have been watching some entertaining hockey tomorrow. :(

I know. This is the time where we should be arguing about who will have a spot on the team or not, before Lou and Deboer bring someone up that none of us guessed.

I honestly haven't thought about dates because A) we haven't gotten our season tickets yet and B) I haven't expected the season to start before December for months, maybe since the first week of July when all that money got thrown around while the owners were crying poor.

I do admit on October 13 and November 11 I'll probably be thinking of what could have been, but those dates I knew in advance for different reasons.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Seriously, it's embarrassing.

The NHL is now locked out again, and I have yet to even hear about it on sportscenter or anywhere else. Granted, they haven't missed a regular season game yet, but still.

They're only hurting the fans and employees. Selfish millionaires.

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

Players here were encouraged that #NHLPA rep told them Fridays mtg w #NHL has turned into 3 days of mtgs. If talks go nowhere, (1/2)

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

(2/2) the players say we could see a flood of locked-out NHLers leave to play elsewhere the first few weeks in October

Lovely, a$$holes.

"NHL cancels the rest of preseason games"

"The NHL canceled the rest of the preseason Thursday, just a day before negotiations were set to resume in an effort to end the lockout."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-cancels-rest-preseason-games-193437408--nhl.html

I am beyond tired (working days and nights back to back), but I am starting to feel that this season was starting out like a super hot chick, but only to have it all destoryed like finding out she has a dick (aka lockout)... Oh welll to Albany I shall go!

I was so looking forward to getting back from deployment - specifically cause I get back right before the season would have started. Football just doesn't cut it, damn it... What is there to look forward to now? I wanted to go to Panthers games with my new away Henrique jersey on. Damn it, damn it, damn it.

At least I'll finally be able to pick up NHL13, I guess. I'll just watch the ECF GM6 everyday since it's the only thing I was smart enough to DVR.

Rick Nash hurt his shoulder playing in Switzerland, doesnt sound too bad but still shows the danger of having players play for someone else.

Yeah, the Devils had both Elias and Gomez sustain serious injuries - when both happened they were looked at as career-threatening. Between that and both Niedermayer and Stevens leaving, it was a pretty brutal lockout. I'm glad there aren't that many Devils playing elsewhere.

Yeah, the Devils had both Elias and Gomez sustain serious injuries - when both happened they were looked at as career-threatening. Between that and both Niedermayer and Stevens leaving, it was a pretty brutal lockout. I'm glad there aren't that many Devils playing elsewhere.

Not yet, but I'm sure there'll be more going overseas once regular season games start officially getting canceled after this weekend.

So far I think Kovy and Zidlicky are the only two to go overseas, while Henrique/Larsson/Josefson are in Albany.

I was considering making this a seperate thread. However I figured this fits more in here since this concerns the lockout.

I am 100% convinced that we will not have a cancelled season. Of course I have no facts to back this up - it's just something that I feel within my heart of hearts and is my personal opinion. If it is a shortened season however I feel that history will be on our side. I posted the following on my facebook as a "rally cry" I guess you could say - with the lockout being longer then we all expected it to be I wanted something that would at least amp people up...to look forward to the future:

As we head deeper & deeper into this NHL lockout let us not only hope that a resolution comes soon but let us remember. Remember who was the last team to win the Stanley Cup during a SHORTENED season, remember how that win came after a disappointing loss the year before, remember how that team soon after that quickly established themselves as one of the most successful non-original six clubs in NHL history and most importantly remember that history tends to repeat itself.

Also, whoever is in charge of that McKay account makes simply amazing videos.

Edited by TheMazz

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.