Official 2014 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And John Lannan won't be on the Mets by May.

Reminds me of Matt Wise, gave up a long HR on Opening Day in Florida and was never heard from again.

lol this might make a good thread- most useless players to start for the mets on opening day. There's been quite a few in recent years alone brad emaus comes to mind...

Edit: I've said enough for one game.

7: That Tuesday off-day is bittersweet; it can be great after a win and infuriating after a loss, especially one like this.

Hopefully we get after them Wednesday. 

Edited by nmigliore

Mets signed Bobby Abreu, assigned him to Las Vegas.

I hope he stays there. The Mets already have a reserve player whose best position is DH -- his name is Lucas Duda, who is infinitely younger and a better hitter than Abreu.

Edited by nmigliore

Mets signed Bobby Abreu, assigned him to Las Vegas.

I hope he stays there. The Mets already have a reserve player whose best position is DH -- his name is Lucas Duda, who is infinitely younger and a better hitter than Abreu.

Me too. Abreu is a last-last-last only if 2009 happens again resort. The guy thinks any contact with an outfield wall incinerates a human body.

Maybe if he hits well in Vegas some AL team ravaged by injuries gives us something for him at the deadline

Parnell has a partial tear of the MCL in his elbow. He'll rest for two weeks but could be facing surgery.

Well that explains the velocity. Glad we decided to check him now, it's not like he hasn't been obviously hurt a month now.  :rolleyes:

They should've done this weeks ago when it was obvious something was wrong. Whatever, either way this is awful. Pitchers gonna be pitchers!

Curious to see who comes up. I would guess Black since he was a final cut and doesn't require any 40-man casualties. Valverde is definitely the closer now: friendly reminder this is a guy with 4+ ERA, FIP, and xFIP since 2012. 

Edited by nmigliore

Hurry Sandy, better make a move if you're still planning on winning 90 games. 

Black was so bad this spring that I can't imagine why bringing him up would be a good idea.  I'm guessing Sandy does next to nothing for the moment. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Hurry Sandy, better make a move if you're still planning on winning 90 games. 

Black was so bad this spring that I can't why bringing him up would be a good idea.  I'm guessing Sandy does next to nothing for the moment. 

I only figured Black because of 40-man implications, but I wouldn't be surprised if were someone else. Mike Puma mentioned Farnsworth being "likely" which would be the worst possible choice, I think. 

Ryan Madson and Joel Hanrahan are a couple closers working their way back and the Mets were eyeing Hanrahan a couple months ago. He's not due back until sometime in May but we'll soon find out how sincere that interest was.

Edited by nmigliore

You don't figure they slide Matsuzaka back into the rotation and put Mejia back in the pen?

Alderson already said that's not happening:

Farnsworth was on the bubble. He could be called up to fill in soon. Mejia to bullpen off the table according to Alderson.

I'm sure they'll keep Dice-K as a starter as well just to keep their options open given Niese's health and avoid having to bring up one of the kids too early. 

Edited by nmigliore

Farnsworth coming up per the Mets. The fantastic decision making continues, my goodness. They'll need to make 40-man room.

Flores is interestingly also coming up. I presume Murphy is going on the paternity leave list although he was originally due to return tomorrow.

Edited by nmigliore

Farnsworth, lol.  Guess we're trying to replace EXACTLY what Parnell was...a guy who threw hard but had lost velocity. 

Took of all of two days for this season to feel lost, lol.  Thank you Sandy.

Reyes hurt again...on the DL with a bad hammy.  Reyes getting hurt...wow, who saw that coming?

Sandy just had a presser about Parnell. Between rest and rehab he's out 6 weeks but Sandy made it out like he's likely to have surgery, citing "the ligament isn't just going to reattach itself." Parnell had elbow pain 4-5 days ago but didn't tell the team until after Opening Day. He also mentioned the chance of some starters coming up and working in relief at some point, which means Montero, deGrom, etc., but not Syndergaard. Doesn't sound like they plan on doing anything right now as far as free agency (shocking, I know).

He addressed the signing of Abreu and by his commentary it's pretty clear the signing was made with the intent of Abreu coming up at some point as a reserve player. 

Edited by nmigliore

I don't think Abreu has any power left and his speed has probably eroded to zilch as well. He can still probably draw walks and work long counts from the left side...but that's all that I see him providing. 

Parnell didn't tell the team of elbow pain, well at least that absolves the Mets brass a bit. It's up to Parnell to report this stuff, they can't get inside his head.