Your Favorite Non-Devil

njdevils2003champs

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby Orr....Jarri Kurri....Markus Naslund......Tiger Williams....Kevin Bieksa....on and on....

Edited by annabelle

There better be some award here for most unique faveroite player.

My favorite growing up was Mark LaForest.

I was in the first grade, and my teacher was a HUGE Flyers fan. She got the rest of us hooked. We wrote to the players, got autographed photos and sticks. At first I really liked Brian Propp, but as I got into watching games, I noticed how cool a job goaltending was. Well, I was okay with Hextall, but LaForest had the coolest mask at the time, and I'm a sucker for an underdog, so he became my favorite.

I followed him throughout his career.

His trade to the Fleas :argh:

His trade to the Rangers :argh:

His drafting by the Sens.

At this point, I was tired of changing teams and had kind of grown out of the cult of personality angle. Besides, it was, in a way, cool to be on the ground floor of something, so I've been a Sens fan ever since. It helped that he saw his last NHL action in a Sens uniform.

Besides him, I go with Yzerman (so glad he got a Cup) Tikkanen (we need more guys like him in the NHL) Sawchuck (a tragic figure in the guise of a great goalie) and Durnan (most underrated goalie ever.)

I guess currently, my favorite non-Devils (one of my favorites is a Devil: Langenbrunner) are Ray Emery, CUJO (so sorry he won't get a Cup, so glad he didn't win one in Hogtown [Toronto]) Alfie, and Brin'damour.

Steve Yzerman was always my favorite player not on the Devils. It was always close between him, Scott Stevens, and Ron Francis who I always saw as my favorite player regardless of what team they were on. Mark Tinordi and Wendel Clarke were also players I admired.

In the league right now... A toss up between Ovechkin and Phaneuf.

70s: My dad. He used to tell us yarns about how he taught Bobby Orr everything he knew. :D

80s: Paul Coffey. I never got to see Bobby Orr rush end-to-end, so Paul's probably the best offensive defenceman I'll ever see. Paul was no match to Bobby defensively, but he was definitely fun to watch when he had the puck.

90s: Joe Sakic. The leadership award shouldn't be named after Messier - it should the Joe Sakic award. The man could lead on the ice and off as well as anyone.

Now: Sid the Kid. He'll likely be bringing home the Hart trophy to Halifax, and while I'd prefer to drive up to New Glasgow for a parade, I'll go back to Halifax for the celebration if Sid wins the cup.

Edited by Don

Favorite player from past days: Mike Bossy. Great hockey player and good playoff performer.

Current: I don't know why but I really like Colby Armstrong. Also Patrick Marleau

Past Devils: Jason Arnott, Randy McKay, The whole A Line

Current Devils: Zach Parise, Jamie Langenbrunner, Travis Zajac, Brian Rafalski

All time it has to be Gretzky...if you guys think Crosby is astonishing you must have missed Gretz when he was young.

Don't get me wrong Corsby is brilliant...he's just no Greztky. (He's not even a Mario) but that is NOT a knock at all.

I do not think I'll ever see a player play like the Great one again.

Currently - on D it is PHANEUF (crap like the HART voters I forgot about Lidstrom) - on O it is Crosby - the little bastard plays all out all of the time even with all of that talent. Ya hear me Malkin, Gomez et all!

Edited by John Wensink

Favorite non-Devil of all-time has to be Cam Neely... the unique type of player that is missing from the game today. The most balanced skill player of all-time if you ask me. He could score, pass, hit, fight. Cam Neely is the man.