Rask signed for $8M a year??

njdevsftw

Is *any* goalie worth that much money?

EDIT: Whooops.. The info I read before I posted this was inaccurate. The cap hit is $7M a year, which is at least borderline reasonable.. (If he turns out to be Rinne/Lundquist material..)

Edited by njdevsftw

schneider is NOT getting 8 until he single-handedly gets a team into the finals ala Rask

Rask did no such thing. Still a great goalie though.

Not to mention that Schneider's agent will know that the Devils need him long term considering what they gave up to get him.

Of course it depends on how well he performs, and how much playing time he gets. Since the consensus here is that Marty is awful, and that goaltending kept the Devils out of the playoffs last year, those people will have to assume that Schneider will take the team far this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd easily prefer to trade Schneider for Luongo then if that's seriously what he is hoping to get.. I don't understand why you would think he'd demand that much either, he hasn't even played a whole regular season as a starting goalie yet. Besides, goalies seem have to much of a randomness factor to pay them that much. 

I'd easily prefer to trade Schneider for Luongo then if that's seriously what he is hoping to get.. I don't understand why you would think he'd demand that much either, he hasn't even played a whole regular season as a starting goalie yet. Besides, goalies seem have to much of a randomness factor to pay them that much. 

I get what you're saying.  But he took a job away from a franchise goalie that was given every chance to succeed.  Whole regular season or not, as long as he plays well next year, he knows he has leverage over the Devils.  Around this time next year, if I'm his agent, I'm telling Lou that I'll be getting at least $8 million AAV in 2015-2016 from the Flyers when the cap is at something like $75 to $80 million. 

Whether you think there's too much randomness to goalies is irrelevant.  By the money and/or trade pieces that continues to get thrown at them, NHL GMs, or enough of them anyway, are willing to pay top dollar for them.  Lou would not have traded the pick had he thought goalies success was too random, especially based on the guy that's been in net for the past 18 years.

Luongo did succeed, just not in the playoffs. We shall see how Schneider holds up...

Yeah, I agree that Luongo has been an overall success for Vancouver. Which supports my point that Schneider didn't win the job by default.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rask did no such thing. Still a great goalie though. Not to mention that Schneider's agent will know that the Devils need him long term considering what they gave up to get him. Of course it depends on how well he performs, and how much playing time he gets. Since the consensus here is that Marty is awful, and that goaltending kept the Devils out of the playoffs last year, those people will have to assume that Schneider will take the team far this year. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hedberg was worse...it's not all on Marty.  But yes, Devils' goaltending was a big problem last year.

what I meant to write was had the B's won the Cup, Rask was the likely Conn Smythe.    

Yes, Rask / Schneider's numbers are quite similar in Regular season.. but Schneider has yet to put up good numbers in the playoffs, except for the year he was 1-3 and his team did not score

Whooops.. Appears the article I read was inaccurate.. If the cap hit is $7M a year, that is at least borderline reasonable.. (If he turns out to be Rinne/Lundquist material..)

Which begs the question: I wonder how much Lundqvist gets next year in UFA. If I'm the Rangers I'm not looking forward to that meeting with his agent...

Which begs the question: I wonder how much Lundqvist gets next year in UFA. If I'm the Rangers I'm not looking forward to that meeting with his agent...

Indeed. As soon as I heard about this contract I thought of Lundqvist. Theres no reason to think he wont be looking for more than this.