2009 MLB Postseason Thread

nmigliore

Jeez, I checked the hitter vs pitcher matchups and the 3 best hitters vs Nathan (on NYY) are: Teixeira 6-for-10 (1 HR), A-Rod 4-for-9, and Matsui 2-for-5 .. these guys are all due up this inning.

This might not go too swell for Nathan, already a leadoff single and hes about to walk A-Rod.

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Threw him an absolute cookie on 3-1. Nathan looks terrified.

but you got to give credit to A-Rod he came through. Past years that would've been a double play grounder to short.

And Swisher just misses a HR to center.

Edited by '7'

Threw him an absolute cookie on 3-1. Nathan looks terrified.

but you got to give credit to A-Rod he came through. Past years that would've been a double play grounder to short.

And Swisher just misses a HR to center.

Nathan's in the Wagner-Benitez-Hoffman mold, just another guy who puts up great numbers in the regular season and becomes a bum when the lights go on in October.

As far as A-Rod you're right, though I couldn't help but think about the K-Rod at bat this year which was strikingly similar - goes to 3-0, takes the 3-0 pitch then swings at 3-1, only this time it wasn't a popup. Does seem like he's off the schneid in the postseason now though.

Edited by Hasan4978

Nathan's in the Wagner-Benitez-Hoffman mold, just another guy who puts up great numbers in the regular season and becomes a bum when the lights go on in October.

As far as A-Rod you're right, though I couldn't help but think about the K-Rod at bat this year which was strikingly similar - goes to 3-0, takes the 3-0 pitch then swings at 3-1, only this time it wasn't a popup. Does seem like he's off the schneid in the postseason now though.

At 3-1 you have to make him chase, a walk is still manageable...pop the next guy up and you have a chance to get out of the inning. But just laying one over the plate like that is silly. It does remind me of those straight fastballs Armando used to serve up to the Brian Jordans of the world.

I like the Twins, scrappy, hungry team. Going on fumes now and no chance against the Moneybags but they're still the type of team I wish the Mets were.

And it would've been a 4-3 Twins victory if not for a home grown Met showing his true colors at 2nd! : )

Edited by '7'

At 3-1 you have to make him chase, a walk is still manageable...pop the next guy up and you have a chance to get out of the inning. But just laying one over the plate like that is silly. It does remind me of those straight fastballs Armando used to serve up to the Brian Jordans of the world.

That's a problem though considering the next guy's Matsui (with Swisher I belive after him, another lefty), and you're risking putting the winning run on with nobody out and the short porch in right.

Wow that was really a brain-dead play by Gardner. Why break from third on a line drive? He'd fit right in on the Mets.

Edited by Hasan4978

That's a problem though considering the next guy's Matsui (with Swisher I belive after him, another lefty), and you're risking putting the winning run on with nobody out and the short porch in right.

I have a simpler solution to the whole thing: THROW STRIKES. Its no secret that most of the first-pitch strike leaders among relievers have had success this year - Ryan Franklin, Joakim Soria, Huston Street, Trevor Hoffman etc. while some of the non-first pitch strike leaders (Marmol, Parnell, Jose Veras, Heilman, Sean Green etc.) haven't been all that good. Of course you are going to have the occasional K-Rod (who throws first pitch strikes at a low rate) who is able to fight through mediocre command because his stuff is so filthy, and vice versa with the some of the guys who throw strikes, ie: Chad Qualls, whose stuff is just not that good but hes gotten by because he throws strikes at a high rate.

And that double play saved the Twins' playoff asses.

Edited by nmigliore

Wow that was really a brain-dead play by Gardner. Why break from third on a line drive? He'd fit right in on the Mets.

true...but doesn't Matsui roll over a lot of pitches to 2nd? You could turn a quick DP there since he doesn't run well. Anyway, you're pretty much screwed with whatever you do against this lineup.

Now Mauers double (which lands a good 9 inches inside the chalk) is ruled foul. How can you possibly stack the deck higher against them?

lol the Twins are looking like the Mets now...bases loaded nobody out and everyone's hacking. Of course it doesn't help that an ex-Met hits a weak chopper on the first pitch :P

I couldn't help but think Mauer should have tried to score on that slow single up the middle since the Yankees don't have good arms in the outfield, but you never want to make the first out at home plate.

Edited by Hasan4978

How brazenly disgusting can these payroll champions be? Seriously your payroll is like 4 times the size of minnesotas.

I hope Anaheim or better yet Boston, just completely obliterates these mercenaries. 2004 style.

but that'll just make things worse as they'll end up buying Jason Bay and John Lackey.

Edited by '7'

Whatever "IT" is, the Yankees have it. I believe in this team! 9 to go boys, NINE TO GO!

Don't jinx us, but I have no argument.

Game over, ALDS over - especially since Pavano'll probably get a deserved beating for the cherry on top in Game 3 :P

really that would just make a perfect series though Pavano has a 2.70 ERA against us this year and he'll probably pitch well against us again just because he's Carl Pavano

How brazenly disgusting can these payroll champions be? Seriously your payroll is like 4 times the size of minnesotas.

I hope Anaheim or better yet Boston, just completely obliterates these mercenaries. 2004 style.

but that'll just make things worse as they'll end up buying Jason Bay and John Lackey.

LOL

U MAD?

Today's Games:

gamesday1.png

Yankees' series looks all but finished, poor Twins got screwed out of a call too. Redsox lineup hasn't done anything - a combined 8 hits and 1 run over 2 games; that's pitiful. Cardinals need a big game from Albert Pujols and Co. to stay alive. As for the Phils/Rockies, I don't think starting Pedro in Colorado is a good idea at all; the altitude and cold weather could be a bad mix for him (fwiw, Pedro has a 4.97 ERA in 4 starts at Coors Field in his career). I would have went with J.A. Happ who threw a complete game shutout vs the Rockies earlier this year. (Yeah I know Happ got hurt last game, but if they had any intentions of pitching him in Game 3 there would be no way they would have used him in Game 2 in the first place.)

unbelievable. The ump and the Twins blew Game 2 last night. Some teams just have all the luck and bounces go their way. That ump should be fired. That was a fair ball by almost a foot! Baseball needs more instant replay especially in the playoffs. What a blown call that may have costed the Twins this series.

Whatever "IT" is, the Yankees have it. I believe in this team! 9 to go boys, NINE TO GO!

Holy sh!t. I just saw that "foul ball" call. That has to be the worst call I have ever seen in years of watching baseball. I mean the ump was pretty much right there. That is an unacceptable call from a major league umpire. That was was feet inside the foul line.

So is "IT" major league umpires in their back pocket? If I'm a Yankees fan...I just take the win and shut up.

He wound up singling, and the Twins still had the bases loaded with nobody out. And not for nothing, but if Mauer's on second, does Kubel even get a single? Without Tex holding Mauer on, I'm not sure that hit gets through the right side. In fact, I'm almost positive it doesn't. Not to mention the fact that you can't assume the predetermined outcome.

And, staying on the topic of umping, someone please tell me we are done with Merriweather behind the plate anytime soon? My guess is at least for this series, but he should never stand behind the plate for the rest of the playoffs if anyone was remotely following "Pitch Trac" last night.

All fair points, but the fact is that it was an atrocious call. It hit the glove and still landed fair. 2nd and 3rd with no outs probably scores something. But the Twins still couldn't score with the bases loaded, so they blew it big time.