Post Lockout Trades/Signings Thread

Triumph

Toronto Sun: Ryan O'Reilly denied captaincy by Avalanche

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/13/nhl-notes-ryan-oreilly-denied-captaincy-by-avalanche

Contract negotiations between 22-year-old centre and the team he led in points last season have broken off as of Wednesday.

According to the Denver Post, the biggest reason for the impasse is
money. The Avs offered O’Reilly a five-year $17 million deal — the first
of that length since Paul Stastny's 2008 deal — but it wasn't enough.

Arnott and Niedermayer held out the same year.  And the Devils went to the Cup Finals that year. 

Columbus has a lot of work to do to get good.  They have to throw out a lot of bad contracts.  That Jack Johnson deal has to be first on the chopping block though I don't know who is stupid enough to take that on.

I keep forgetting that too but they could simply buy him out this summer

So since we have even more depth with Poni I can honestly see Lou making a legit offer for O'Reilly. Tallinder - Josefson and maybe another piece.

guesstimating ROR would be in the $3.75-5 Mil range... here's are the RFA draft pick compensation figures for the 2012-13 season:

$1,110,249 or below – No Compensation

Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 – 3rd round pick

Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 – 2nd round pick

Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 – 1st round pick, 3rd

Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 – 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd

Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 – Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd

Over $8,410,976 – Four 1st Round Picks

So since we have even more depth with Poni I can honestly see Lou making a legit offer for O'Reilly. Tallinder - Josefson and maybe another piece.

the other piece better be Larsson or every decent prospect we have or they're laughing. Literally any other team can outdo JJ and Tallinder. Why do they want Tallinder anyway? They're awful and will be for awhile esp w/o RoR

I keep forgetting that too but they could simply buy him out this summer

Johnson's signed forever. And he's pretty much all they got for Carter so they'll sit there with the egg on their face and keep him 

Edited by DH26

the other piece better be Larsson or every decent prospect we have or they're laughing. Literally any other team can outdo JJ and Tallinder. Why do they want Tallinder anyway? They're awful and will be for awhile esp w/o RoR  

1. They need to get something for ROR, otherwise there is no way they improve this year.

2. Tallinder is actually a good defensemen who can help younger kids and is affordable. Unfortunately he's not working out hay great in this system and has been plagued with injuries since coming here.

3. JJ is a young center who is already great defensively. Furthermore, after showing some really steady offensive production at the AHL level there is promise that he can do it in the coming years at the NHL level.

Arnott and Niedermayer held out the same year.  And the Devils went to the Cup Finals that year. 

Columbus has a lot of work to do to get good.  They have to throw out a lot of bad contracts.  That Jack Johnson deal has to be first on the chopping block though I don't know who is stupid enough to take that on.

Well, if the Avs gave up Shattenkirk and Stewart for Erik Johnson, I could see them making another "brilliant" move and sending O'Reilly to Columbus in exchange for Johnson and one of their forward prospects.

1. They need to get something for ROR, otherwise there is no way they improve this year.

2. Tallinder is actually a good defensemen who can help younger kids and is affordable. Unfortunately he's not working out hay great in this system and has been plagued with injuries since coming here.

3. JJ is a young center who is already great defensively. Furthermore, after showing some really steady offensive production at the AHL level there is promise that he can do it in the coming years at the NHL level.

1. any team will give them something. JJ's not a unique commodity or anything. He's a good defensive center with no hands. 

2. The Avs have no incentive to be good this year. THey stink no matter what. Who cares if they get slightly better w/ an old Dman who wouldn't be around when they're good. 

3. He's not Granlund or something like that. EVERY TEAM has an asset equal to that. You're not outbidding anyone for RoR w/ JJ and Tallinder. You need to actually offer MORE and any team could match that

1. any team will give them something. JJ's not a unique commodity or anything. He's a good defensive center with no hands. 

2. The Avs have no incentive to be good this year. THey stink no matter what. Who cares if they get slightly better w/ an old Dman who wouldn't be around when they're good. 

3. He's not Granlund or something like that. EVERY TEAM has an asset equal to that. You're not outbidding anyone for RoR w/ JJ and Tallinder. You need to actually offer MORE and any team could match that

The one thing the Devils have going for them is the perception that their prospects are very good.  It certainly helped get the Kovalchuk deal done -- Bergfors and Cormier. 

So another GM gets offered Josefson, and thinks the Devils think very highly of him, so he must be good.  The Yankees used to get away with that all the time.

But there's no desperation on Colorado's part to move O'Reilly, so they can wait things out.

The one thing the Devils have going for them is the perception that their prospects are very good.  It certainly helped get the Kovalchuk deal done -- Bergfors and Cormier. 

So another GM gets offered Josefson, and thinks the Devils think very highly of him, so he must be good.  The Yankees used to get away with that all the time.

But there's no desperation on Colorado's part to move O'Reilly, so they can wait things out.

I don't think either of these things is true.  People forget that 09-10, the salary cap was a thing.  People actually had to like, be prudent with money they spent.  That decreased the number of potential suitors considerably.  

I don't think either of these things is true.  People forget that 09-10, the salary cap was a thing.  People actually had to like, be prudent with money they spent.  That decreased the number of potential suitors considerably.  

I'm not following you.  Are you referring to Kovalchuk?  If so, a lot of teams were reportedly interested, and I never heard that cap space was an issue for anyone.

I'm not following you.  Are you referring to Kovalchuk?  If so, a lot of teams were reportedly interested, and I never heard that cap space was an issue for anyone.

It was without question an issue.  Kovalchuk was a 6.6M contract.  The Flyers had no room that year - they still had Mike Rathje on the books.  Other teams were also way up there - the Bruins, I recall, also would have had issues.

I don't think the perception's there anymore if it ever was after that deal blew up so badly for Atlanta. Larsson everyone knew was gonna be good but the rest? Who knows 

The Devils and Nashville have a reputation as being able to develop players really well. That's why the media and other teams go apesh!t whenever a Devils or Preds player goes UFA. Paul Martin, who always struck me as an average D Man, was one of the top UFAs after the 09-10 season.

The Devils and Nashville have a reputation as being able to develop players really well. That's why the media and other teams go apesh!t whenever a Devils or Preds player goes UFA. Paul Martin, who always struck me as an average D Man, was one of the top UFAs after the 09-10 season.

Yes...  developed players who hit UFA with several years as a Devil.    

But sending out prospects before they made it as full time Devs?    That is a very short list of unproven Devils who go on to be 'Devils' elsewhere.