Raising No. 27

DaneykoIsGod

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/lemaire_felt_sorry_for_devils_tedenby_learns_defensive_lesson_nieders_banne/

The Devils are still working out plans to retire Scott Niedermayer’s No. 27 and it is possible the ceremony will be held prior to a home game before the end of the season, a source said. The Devils have only 16 home games remaining, including Friday’s game against the Florida Panthers.

Niedermayer won three Stanley Cups with the Devils before leaving New Jersey to sign with Anaheim as an unrestricted free agent following the 2004-05 NHL lockout. He retired after the 2009-10 season. The Devils have held No. 27 vacant this season after defenseman Mike Mottau, who wore it last season, was not re-signed.

Toss aside the talk that the wounds still haven't healed yet for some fans ... if this thing still isn't planned yet and there are only 16 homes games left to get it organized, then c'mon Lou, hold off on it. There's no rush. The guy was a great Devil and deserves more than a rush-job of a ceremony.

I know he is one of the best players the Devils have ever had but for some reason I just never "liked" him. I hated that him leaving hurt the team, I know he deserves to have his number retired, and I know the cups would have been unlikely without him, I just can't get excited over this. It's weird how you take to some players and not others I guess.

I know he is one of the best players the Devils have ever had but for some reason I just never "liked" him. I hated that him leaving hurt the team, I know he deserves to have his number retired, and I know the cups would have been unlikely without him, I just can't get excited over this. It's weird how you take to some players and not others I guess.

I loved watching Scotty but also never liked him. I had the feeling that he was always looking to leave NJ.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/lemaire_felt_sorry_for_devils_tedenby_learns_defensive_lesson_nieders_banne/

Toss aside the talk that the wounds still haven't healed yet for some fans ... if this thing still isn't planned yet and there are only 16 homes games left to get it organized, then c'mon Lou, hold off on it. There's no rush. The guy was a great Devil and deserves more than a rush-job of a ceremony.

+1

ticket sales are hurting...

Winning cures all ills.

I know you'd like to have attitude be the main factor as opposed to ability and accomplishment alone. It's like -- he feels like an ex-wife not a dearly departed. Like you can't ignore all that you went through even if it sucked ass on some levels. I feel like retired numbers are not just players but relationships and this was not a good relationship. Stevens is The Bible, Dano is every Stephen King book.... Neidermayer - he's some sh!t classic Kafka everyone hated but you're glad you were forced to read it so you can extoll it's virtues when you run into some pedantic asswipe and it looks impressive in your library.

Edited by Pepperkorn

As recently as the beginning of this season, I wasn't ready to see No. 27 go up. Now I'm ready. He was a supremely-talented player who consistently gave us "How the hell did he do that?" moments. He was a winner and was a huge part of this team's success for a long time. It's not like he badmouthed the organization or pissed on the fans. He always played hard (though he was so good that it looked effortless) and, from everything I saw and heard, spoke fondly of the Devils.

Time to let the insignificant stuff go and remember the good times, IMO.

As recently as the beginning of this season, I wasn't ready to see No. 27 go up. Now I'm ready. He was a supremely-talented player who consistently gave us "How the hell did he do that?" moments. He was a winner and was a huge part of this team's success for a long time. It's not like he badmouthed the organization or pissed on the fans. He always played hard (though he was so good that it looked effortless) and, from everything I saw and heard, spoke fondly of the Devils.

He is one of only four Devils that have three rings with the team. I fully appreciate much more since he left. I don't blame him for moving on as he would have been forever be judged in a Devils uniform in the shadow of Stevens. Winning with Anaheim solidified his greatness.

I hold the Devils core four of Stevens, Nieds, Dano and Rafi in the same esteem I hold Savard, Robinson, Lapointe, Bouchard as the greatest defense core in league history.

Nieds was a great Devil and the team loved him (I still remember Big Jim McKenzie crushing Domi in their first visit to NJ after his cheapshot in the playoffs).

• Like 1

He is one of only four Devils that have three rings with the team. I fully appreciate much more since he left. I don't blame him for moving on as he would have been forever be judged in a Devils uniform in the shadow of Stevens. Winning with Anaheim solidified his greatness.

I hold the Devils core four of Stevens, Nieds, Dano and Rafi in the same esteem I hold Savard, Robinson, Lapointe, Bouchard as the greatest defense core in league history.

Nieds was a great Devil and the team loved him (I still remember Big Jim McKenzie crushing Domi in their first visit to NJ after his cheapshot in the playoffs).

Nieds was one of 5 to win all 3 Cups here. Marty, Stevens, Dano, Nieds and SARGE! Nieds is a first ballot HOFer and deserves to have his jersey up in the rafters of THE ROCK!

I'm just not moved by it. Indifference reigns.

I certainly won't be buying tickets to see it.

• Like 1

I know you'd like to have attitude be the main factor as opposed to ability and accomplishment alone. It's like -- he feels like an ex-wife not a dearly departed. Like you can't ignore all that you went through even if it sucked ass on some levels. I feel like retired numbers are not just players but relationships and this was not a good relationship. Stevens is The Bible, Dano is every Stephen King book.... Neidermayer - he's some sh!t classic Kafka everyone hated but you're glad you were forced to read it so you can extoll it's virtues when you run into some pedantic asswipe and it looks impressive in your library.

I laughed when I read this, it's exactly how I feel, expressed much more eloquently. I especially love the literary references, as I am an avid reader.