Raising No. 27

DaneykoIsGod

MacLean without a doubt deserves to have his #15 retired. Unfortunately this year I'm sure has put a sour taste in many people's mouth. I just hope it doesn't ruin all the other things MacLean has done for this team. I mean, he scored the most important goal in franchise history. If that doesn't qualify you for number retirement, what does?

Ken Daneyko has his number retired, and he's not a HOF'er. Niedermayer is. Niedermayer became a HOF player while he was still a Devil. He deserves to have his number retired by this organization. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on Nieds (I, quite frankly, can't understand the lingering biterness among some and it drives me insane, but whatever), but no one can deny that #27 deserves to go to the rafters.

It ain't bitterness. Some people just don't get that. Even when you tell them it isn't. Because they're dense.

But when he gets his number retired, good for him. He had a lot of good years here and was an important player here.

Does anyone remember when Stevens was awarded to the Devils from the Blues that he refused to report to the Devils. Don't get me wrong, Stevens was a big reason that they won the 3 Cups, but never would have done it without Niedermayer. It is a joke if he doesn't get that honor.

Scotty was a world class talent that would have thrived anywhere. I will NEVER forget "the Goal" against the Wings in the Cup final - I damn near dislocated my shoulder jumping out of my then new recliner and caused my new wife's best friend to spill a cup of coffee into her lap out of shock! LOL. Good times :) He was born a Hall of Famer and he may well have been much more famous with much more gaudy numbers had he been a Red Wing from the start. Still.......I won't pay through the nose for tickets when #27 is raised to the rafters, but I will definitely watch it on TV. He was a great Devil, but he would have had greater offensive numbers i think, and I think H thinks that as well, had he played elsewhere that wasn't so hell bent on defense first for defensemen. I WILL pay through the nose when 26 is raised to the rafters, though 27 was the more talented and naturally gifted player.

My 9 year old son is playing hockey now, and wants to be a "stay at home" defenseman (and he's good, too), but I always tell him the defenseman to model himself after is Niedermeyer. We were lucky to have Scotty in the 90's, like we were lucky to have Stevens, so I have no problem with retiring his number, He gave us 12 great years and i definitely appreciate all that went into that. we certainly don't have aline that adds up to him alone now. I would hope that now that he's retired he's happy he ended up here, and doesn't regret his time here. I'm honestly not sure sure about that. I guess I'm glad he didn't follow Driver and Gomez and Holik to the Rags. ;)

And thanks again Tom Kurvers and the Leafs! :)

It's so sad how some people cannot accept that not everyone is a Neidermayer fan. Just because I have never agreed with anyone about Neids doesn't mean I'm bitter. I wish we still had all the posts since 2001 so you can see how often I wrote how much I disliked Neids while he was on the team.

His leaving confirmed my feelings and I stated I would eat all my words if he re-signed with the Devils.

I HATED the way he handles his role as Captain on this team. I just find his reticence INFURIATING! I find his heartfelt soul searching insincere - just procrastination, making sure no one KNOWS what a prick he is at heart.

Exactly, I didn't like him while he was HERE, it has nothing to do with him leaving, or his talent, there is just something about him I didn't like. I don't know why people find it so hard to understand it has nothing to do with his talent or his leaving, it's his personality. He wasn't even on the Devils and his sitting out half a year and then coming back while he played for the Ducks hit me wrong.

I will say it one more time, some fans just never took to him, while appreciating his talent and his contribution to the team, it's as simple as that.

They need to wait until next season. What's the rush. I always thought, not that it matters, they should announce this prior to the season with a game against the Ducks (If Anaheim plays us next season?).

I'd also like to wait because I think Sergei Brylin should be there, and perhaps he'll retire this off season and be able to make it back to town - or in some fashion they could work it out with SKA if he plays next season.

;)

That's a big NO. We know how the Devils fans feel about the Ducks and the whole situation. Plus, Scoty has been associated with Anaheim for a good few years now, so a lot of young people remember him mainly as a Duck. Why add to it? This is our party. He won three Cups here. Most of his international accomplishments also came when he was still a Devil. I say let's celebrate his Devils days and don't give a damn about his the times he had with Anaheim during this ceremony.

I think his number should definitely be retired. But whether it's this season or the next one... I'm kind of indifferent. Maybe it's indeed better to wait a few months to prepare it really well. Plus, the later this comes, the less fans are still going to hold a grudge and boo him.

\

I can see your point and it should be about his time in NJ, but if we did it on a night that the Ducks where here it would show there are no hard feelings and that the fans and the organazation don't feel a need to be petty.after all he did learn how to win here. :evil:

Edited by Maddog2009

Does anyone remember when Stevens was awarded to the Devils from the Blues that he refused to report to the Devils. Don't get me wrong, Stevens was a big reason that they won the 3 Cups, but never would have done it without Niedermayer. It is a joke if he doesn't get that honor.

And then as an RFA Stevens signed an offer sheet to go back to Saint Louis which we later found that the Blues had tampered.

I support the number being raised to the rafters next season. Doing it this season just reeks of a quick ceremony for a quickie gate similar to what the Yankees use to do in the 80's and early 90's.

Plan it out for next season sometime in October or November. Ask the NHL to schedule Toronto or Vancouver on a Saturday night so it'll get a HNIC audience and it'll avoid Friday night H.S. football. Or plan it for February 2012 on a Friday night to get the TSN audience like the Stevens ceremony did.

Nieds' number should be up there along side Sarge's and Marty's. The 5 players that were all integral parts of the 3 championships. Brylin is also one of those guys who isn't a hall of famer but he gave his heart and soul to this organization and was a fan favorite for years. Nieds on the other hand is a hall of famer and I think retiring his number would bring some positive closure that apparently a lot of fans on here need.

It's so sad how some people cannot accept that not everyone is a Neidermayer fan. Just because I have never agreed with anyone about Neids doesn't mean I'm bitter. I wish we still had all the posts since 2001 so you can see how often I wrote how much I disliked Neids while he was on the team.

His leaving confirmed my feelings and I stated I would eat all my words if he re-signed with the Devils.

I HATED the way he handles his role as Captain on this team. I just find his reticence INFURIATING! I find his heartfelt soul searching insincere - just procrastination, making sure no one KNOWS what a prick he is at heart.

Exactly, I didn't like him while he was HERE, it has nothing to do with him leaving, or his talent, there is just something about him I didn't like. I don't know why people find it so hard to understand it has nothing to do with his talent or his leaving, it's his personality. He wasn't even on the Devils and his sitting out half a year and then coming back while he played for the Ducks hit me wrong.

I will say it one more time, some fans just never took to him, while appreciating his talent and his contribution to the team, it's as simple as that.

If you didn't like him before he left then my post isn't aimed at you. I was just saying that his leaving alone is a crappy reason to dislike him.

;) \

I can see your point and it should be about his time in NJ, but if we did it on a night that the Ducks where here it would show there are no hard feelings and that the fans and the organazation don't feel a need to be petty.after all he did learn how to win here. :evil:

This. Couldn't have said it better myself.

If you didn't like him before he left then my post isn't aimed at you. I was just saying that his leaving alone is a crappy reason to dislike him.

As has be said before, it wasn't the fact that he left that some folk dislike him , it is the way in which he left that is the problem for many.

It is because he hemmed and hawed about leaving, which put the Devils in a bind and the 2 M fiasco resulted because of it. If he'd have been up-front and honest from the get-go that he wanted to play with his brother in Duckville all would have been fine.

But no, he lollygagged and fvcked around, then at the last minute made his decision( which he already knew he was going to make a year before).

THAT is what has left a bad taste in a lot of Devils fans mouths, me included.

As has be said before, it wasn't the fact that he left that some folk dislike him , it is the way in which he left that is the problem for many.

It is because he hemmed and hawed about leaving, which put the Devils in a bind and the 2 M fiasco resulted because of it. If he'd have been up-front and honest from the get-go that he wanted to play with his brother in Duckville all would have been fine.

But no, he lollygagged and fvcked around, then at the last minute made his decision( which he already knew he was going to make a year before).

THAT is what has left a bad taste in a lot of Devils fans mouths, me included.

That's a lame excuse. Obviously it was a tough decision for him but Lou shouldn't have sat around waiting. He should have just said look if it's going to take a while for you to decide I'm gonna do what I can to shore up the defense now while there are still alternatives available and if you decide to come back we will bring you back if possible. Instead Lou rolled the dice and lost.

Also I think it is humorous that you somehow know that he made up his mind a year in advance yet for some reason decided to wait well into the offseason to announce it. He never said a decision would come shortly for it to be smart by Lou to wait for it, it was clear it would take a long time.

Edited by devilsfan26

That's a lame excuse. Obviously it was a tough decision for him but Lou shouldn't have sat around waiting. He should have just said look if it's going to take a while for you to decide I'm gonna do what I can to shore up the defense now while there are still alternatives available and if you decide to come back we will bring you back if possible. Instead Lou rolled the dice and lost.

Also I think it is humorous that you somehow know that he made up his mind a year in advance yet for some reason decided to wait well into the offseason to announce it. He never said a decision would come shortly for it to be smart by Lou to wait for it, it was clear it would take a long time.

Its not an excuse for me, it is a reason. I in part agree with you about Lou waiting for Scott's decision, however, your description does not make sense (to me) Let's say Lou does get proactive and signs some other D-men to compensate for the loss-potential loss of Scott. What would then happen if Scott decided to re-sign in NJ? SALARY CAP ! The Devils would have been over the cap by about $8 million. And if in the ensuing mess those other D-men were signed to 2-3 years deals, how would Lou have moved them to get under the cap.

I utterly disagree about it being a hard decision for Scott to leave NJ, it was easy, he wanted to play with his brother. Nothing complicated about that, he should have told Lou from the start which in turn would have allowed Lou to go and get some better D-men. IIRC Adam Foote was available, until he signed with CBJ because Scott dragged his feet over his "tough" :rolleyes: decision.

To the bolded, regardless of what contrived reason Scott had/has for lollygagging and not committing, hockey is a business. People who do not make decisions in business do not survive for long. He even jacked the Ducks over one season when he was dragging his feet about playing in that particular season.

Scott needs B ) (pun) to have theraputic counsel about the values of decision making AND commitment.

Could you imagine going shopping for a pair of sneakers with this guy ! you'd be there for three days waiting for him to decide on Nike or Reebok :doh1:

Its not an excuse for me, it is a reason. I in part agree with you about Lou waiting for Scott's decision, however, your description does not make sense (to me) Let's say Lou does get proactive and signs some other D-men to compensate for the loss-potential loss of Scott. What would then happen if Scott decided to re-sign in NJ? SALARY CAP ! The Devils would have been over the cap by about $8 million. And if in the ensuing mess those other D-men were signed to 2-3 years deals, how would Lou have moved them to get under the cap.

I utterly disagree about it being a hard decision for Scott to leave NJ, it was easy, he wanted to play with his brother. Nothing complicated about that, he should have told Lou from the start which in turn would have allowed Lou to go and get some better D-men. IIRC Adam Foote was available, until he signed with CBJ because Scott dragged his feet over his "tough" :rolleyes: decision.

To the bolded, regardless of what contrived reason Scott had/has for lollygagging and not committing, hockey is a business. People who do not make decisions in business do not survive for long. He even jacked the Ducks over one season when he was dragging his feet about playing in that particular season.

Scott needs B ) (pun) to have theraputic counsel about the values of decision making AND commitment.

Could you imagine going shopping for a pair of sneakers with this guy ! you'd be there for three days waiting for him to decide on Nike or Reebok :doh1:

Yea I know the salary cap would make it hard to sign Niedermayer after signing others, that's why I said if possible. Also that's still a better situation to be in than what we ended up with--McGillis and Malakhov because nothing was left. That's on Lou, not Niedermayer.

So if it wasn't a tough decision, why did he take so long to decide? You seriously think he knew a year in advance and just didn't announce it? Why would he do that?

It's funny how people forget that Nieds' brother got a contract extension from the Ducks just before Nieds signed there. That's what he was waiting for really, he wasn't doing it to d-ck the Devils around, he had to actually make sure he was leaving to play with his brother. And he 'waited' for a total of three or four days. Who knew that like 400 players would all sign contracts within hours of UFA?

Besides, maybe he didn't think we'd give him a max offer and that threw a wrench into his 'year in the making' decision.

Edited by NJDevs4978

MacLean without a doubt deserves to have his #15 retired. Unfortunately this year I'm sure has put a sour taste in many people's mouth. I just hope it doesn't ruin all the other things MacLean has done for this team. I mean, he scored the most important goal in franchise history. If that doesn't qualify you for number retirement, what does?

The Ranger vacation time already did that for a lot of people...the coaching thing was gonna be his redemption and that blew up big-time :lol: Plus with what happened with Langs, I really don't want to see #15 for a while period.

Yea I know the salary cap would make it hard to sign Niedermayer after signing others, that's why I said if possible. Also that's still a better situation to be in than what we ended up with--McGillis and Malakhov because nothing was left. That's on Lou, not Niedermayer.

So if it wasn't a tough decision, why did he take so long to decide? You seriously think he knew a year in advance and just didn't announce it? Why would he do that?

Because he was waiting for Rob to get an extension in Duckville. I bet anyone a dime to a donut that if Rob does not get that contract at the time, Scott Re-signs in NJ.

This had been brewing for a while. Lou tried to get Rob, but Burke wanted Gomez in return so Lou didn't go for it. I think there might have been a package of Rob and Mcdonald for Gomez + picks or something but it fell through, or that deal was a rumor (long before Ecklund existed).

In some respects Lou does deserve some of the criticism, but AFAIC Scott gets most of the blame. In a sense it was a win-win situation for Scott because he wanted to play with his brother. From Devils perspective, it was pretty $hitty and two faced. That kind of conduct results in a potential jersey not getting raised to the rafters :whistling:

Because he was waiting for Rob to get an extension in Duckville. I bet anyone a dime to a donut that if Rob does not get that contract at the time, Scott Re-signs in NJ.

This had been brewing for a while. Lou tried to get Rob, but Burke wanted Gomez in return so Lou didn't go for it. I think there might have been a package of Rob and Mcdonald for Gomez + picks or something but it fell through, or that deal was a rumor (long before Ecklund existed).

In some respects Lou does deserve some of the criticism, but AFAIC Scott gets most of the blame. In a sense it was a win-win situation for Scott because he wanted to play with his brother. From Devils perspective, it was pretty $hitty and two faced. That kind of conduct results in a potential jersey not getting raised to the rafters :whistling:

The only people who thought it was sh!tty and two-faced are blatant Devils homers. Everyone else sees it for what it is--a pro athlete taking less money to play with his brother, and as NJDevs4978 reminded us, he only waited three or four days (I just looked it up and he is correct, signed on August 4th and I believe free agency started on August 1st that year). It was well-rumored that he wanted to play with his brother, it's not like that came out of nowhere the day he signed the contract so Lou should have tried to make moves once it became apparent he would not be able to acquire Rob.

The only people who thought it was sh!tty and two-faced are blatant Devils homers. Everyone else sees it for what it is--a pro athlete taking less money to play with his brother, and as NJDevs4978 reminded us, he only waited three or four days (I just looked it up and he is correct, signed on August 4th and I believe free agency started on August 1st that year).

It's amazing how many people perpetuate the myth that Nieds 'took forever' to decide, no he didn't take forever, it only seemed like forever compared to just about everyone else running for as many cap dollars as they could get in the first hours of UFA.

Not to mention it was the first hockey activity in over a year because of the lockout so anything over five minutes would probably have been too long a wait for some :lol:

I'm kind of on the fence about Niedermayer getting his number retired. I don't really feel strongly for it or against it. I think part of the reason is that it's been a while since he's been here...Stevens and Daneyko were much fresher in my mind than Niedermayer is now. Not that I've forgotten Nieds' contributions here, but I guess in a strange sort of way this jersey retiring will feel more anti-climactic. #3 and #4 just FELT so right and emotional.

I don't have any problems with the way Niedermayer left. Sure, I wish he could have made the decision sooner, but no one here knows what was going on in his head...could've been nothing more than that the decision really was that tough for him, that he knew he'd be going to play with family, but also knew he'd be leaving the only team he'd played for. And I don't get angry with players who earn a right to exercise UFA, then choose to so do. He had every right to leave, and accomplished plenty while he was here.

I think one mistake people are making is knocking Niedermayer for this and that, while forgetting that the other two Devils to get their numbers retired weren't exactly saints. Stevens didn't even want to come here when he was first awarded to the Devils, and was exploring every possible avenue to not become a Devil until he had a change of heart. He would later sign an offer sheet to return to the Blues (which Lou of course matched, but not at a price he was thrilled to pay). Nothing wrong with Stevens doing so, but "loyalty" is a word you hear mentioned in the same sentence with Stevens often. As for Daneyko, when the Devils first received Stevens, he was at the forefront of a group of Devils players who were threatening a near-mutiny against Lou, threatening to walk out unless his salary was increased. And we know about his drinking issue.

I'm not saying that neither player deserved to have his number retired...both absolutely did, and I was thrilled for both of them. But I think both Daneyko and Stevens have been painted for years as players who never ever did wrong and were "perfect" Devils, when that really wasn't the case.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The only people who thought it was sh!tty and two-faced are blatant Devils homers. Everyone else sees it for what it is--a pro athlete taking less money to play with his brother, and as NJDevs4978 reminded us, he only waited three or four days (I just looked it up and he is correct, signed on August 4th and I believe free agency started on August 1st that year). It was well-rumored that he wanted to play with his brother, it's not like that came out of nowhere the day he signed the contract so Lou should have tried to make moves once it became apparent he would not be able to acquire Rob.

And BINGO was his name-o.