Matt anderson called up

caron14

Yeah, well, as it turns out, he must have had a horrible camp because all the Butler talk disappeared MIGHTY fast. If he looked fine in camp, I'm baffled, but it makes tons of sense if he looked bad and I mean worse than Teddy bad.

i just think some people got really over-excited with Butler thinking we'd get a good top 6 player ready to go. Injuries or not Ottawa gave up on him for a reason or another, he may turn out really good but what can you expect from a guy who got drop from another team to fill a top 6 need? its not like Carter playing a 3rd-4th line role after being dropped by Florida.

I am understanding fine, but this seems to be one of those Triumph moments where you've got to be contradictory and try to prove you're the smartest guy in all matters hockey. Part of the increased ice time is clearly due to Zach leaving and lack of depth...it's out of necessity. Part of the reason he's getting this chance is the same reason Tedenby got his...the Devils are hoping the young guys can step up. Didn't work with Teddy, but Josefson is clearly a much better bet to stick around and get better. He'd have to tank to get sent back to Albany.

Yes, Josefson is doing some very good things, but yes, I think the games he missed hurt, especially from an offensive standpoint, developmentally. He can use all the experience he can get. Clearly you don't agree.

i have to agree with everything you said there bud. I also ran into those Tri moments quite a few times lately for a reason or another haha and even with you i think on different subject but hey, i still like you guys, it's all fun.

But yeah im also a little bit more down on JJ than some other folks here but after looking at all the other players drafted around him, bunch of them are not in the NHL yet or made a really quick appearance so i guess he's got a little extra something but we also saw some thing like the guy simply can't finish to save his life. You have it or you don't, for exemple Boucher would have probably scored 60% of all Josefson's occasion eventhough he's younger. BUT JJ is obviously superior in other departments, especially defensively and thats why he's already in the club.

That being said i simply don't see Josefson as a big part of our future. he's been compared to Malhotra... i wouldnt even be thrilled to get the real Malhotra in his peak in NJ so why are we that excited about him seriously? He's gonna be an NHLer for sure that will be useful thats for sure but.

i have to agree with everything you said there bud. I also ran into those Tri moments quite a few times lately for a reason or another haha and even with you i think on different subject but hey, i still like you guys, it's all fun.

But yeah im also a little bit more down on JJ than some other folks here but after looking at all the other players drafted around him, bunch of them are not in the NHL yet or made a really quick appearance so i guess he's got a little extra something but we also saw some thing like the guy simply can't finish to save his life. You have it or you don't, for exemple Boucher would have probably scored 60% of all Josefson's occasion eventhough he's younger. BUT JJ is obviously superior in other departments, especially defensively and thats why he's already in the club.

That being said i simply don't see Josefson as a big part of our future. he's been compared to Malhotra... i wouldnt even be thrilled to get the real Malhotra in his peak in NJ so why are we that excited about him seriously? He's gonna be an NHLer for sure that will be useful thats for sure but.

I'd like to think Josefson has some upside offensively to go with the other aspects of his game. I'm guessing, since he clearly seems to have solid instincts, he'll get this year, next year, and the one after that to show he can score a bit, before the Devils give up on him being a top-6 type for them. But at the very least, he has the tools to be a good 3rd liner if the scoring never develops.

I'd like to think Josefson has some upside offensively to go with the other aspects of his game. I'm guessing, since he clearly seems to have solid instincts, he'll get this year, next year, and the one after that to show he can score a bit, before the Devils give up on him being a top-6 type for them. But at the very least, he has the tools to be a good 3rd liner if the scoring never develops.

of course i'd like to think he's a lock for 3rd line center and able to fill on the 2nd line if he has to... but his lack of offensive is showing. As he gets more games under his belt and confidence obviously his numbers should go up but i still havent seen something from him that suggest that he could put up real good numbers. Especially playing on a 3rd line in NJ

but again i'd only be thrilled to be wrong about that

Edited by SterioDesign

Still early for Josefson...only 21 and only has 73 NHL games under his belt (he'll be 22 March 2). I wish he hadn't gotten hurt, but if he can get through this 48-game season and (hopefully) a postseason healthy, that'd be a great step forward.

The good: should be up to stay and still has time on his side.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I am understanding fine, but this seems to be one of those Triumph moments where you've got to be contradictory and try to prove you're the smartest guy in all matters hockey. Part of the increased ice time is clearly due to Zach leaving and lack of depth...it's out of necessity. Part of the reason he's getting this chance is the same reason Tedenby got his...the Devils are hoping the young guys can step up. Didn't work with Teddy, but Josefson is clearly a much better bet to stick around and get better. He'd have to tank to get sent back to Albany.

Yes, Josefson is doing some very good things, but yes, I think the games he missed hurt, especially from an offensive standpoint, developmentally. He can use all the experience he can get. Clearly you don't agree.

He's the #1 penalty killer on the team, forwards-wise. I agree that losing Parise and Henrique have perhaps put him in this role, and we'll see how his ice time is when Henrique comes back, but he is 6th on the team in forwards ice time per game. Would you feel differently if he had 1 goal so far this year, or had 4 last year instead of 2? He showed plenty of offense in the minors (over 2.5 shots per game, averaging 20 goals per 80 games, averaging 54 points per 80 games).

Sterio: Malhotra was an awesome player to have. To have the 3rd line center position locked down for 5 years? That'd be outstanding. Do I need to list off the abominable players used in that role over the last 5 seasons? Because I'm going to anyway - John Madden, when he was clearly no longer fit for it, Rob Niedermayer, David Steckel, Ryan Carter, etc. Pretty much every year since 2003, until last year when Zajac returned, the Devils have needed center depth.

Sterio: Malhotra was an awesome player to have. To have the 3rd line center position locked down for 5 years? That'd be outstanding. Do I need to list off the abominable players used in that role over the last 5 seasons? Because I'm going to anyway - John Madden, when he was clearly no longer fit for it, Rob Niedermayer, David Steckel, Ryan Carter, etc. Pretty much every year since 2003, until last year when Zajac returned, the Devils have needed center depth.

This. Malhotra reminds me of Madden in his prime, a guy we loved to have. Malhotra gets a bad rap because the Rags wanted him to be something else, but he did great stuff once he got to the west. I think if we use JJ right, he can be a major part of our success for years to come. He doesn't need to be an elite scorer -- we have Kovy locked down, a couple more years of Elias (hopefully), Henrique looks like he'll be a scorer, and Zajac is real solid burying the chances Kovy creates for him. A defensively responsible center with good hockey sense is a good fit for this team.

He's the #1 penalty killer on the team, forwards-wise. I agree that losing Parise and Henrique have perhaps put him in this role, and we'll see how his ice time is when Henrique comes back, but he is 6th on the team in forwards ice time per game. Would you feel differently if he had 1 goal so far this year, or had 4 last year instead of 2? He showed plenty of offense in the minors (over 2.5 shots per game, averaging 20 goals per 80 games, averaging 54 points per 80 games).

No shortage of guys who have showed plenty of offense in the minors. I need to see Josefson do it here, but like we've all noted, if it doesn't happen, he could potentially be a good 3rd-liner center for several years, and yes, it's easy to overlook the importance of that positon until you're constantly trying to find a 3rd-line center. So while it would be a bit disappointing if Josefson's offense doesn't improve significantly, at least he could still fill an important role. The same can't likely be said for Tedenby.

alright now... COME ON ! Malhotra was a 7th OVERALL PICK who's best season was 35 pts.

fair enough Madden was a big part of our success in his role but he was an UNDRAFTED PLAYER. A little bit easier to appreciate the guy for what he brought when you got it for pretty much nothing.

sorry but I'd expect a little more than a 35pts 3rd line center with on of our first round pick after seeing a bunch of our first rounders like Bergfors, Tedenby, Corrente, doing nothing.

Edited by SterioDesign

alright now... COME ON ! Malhotra was a 7th OVERALL PICK who's best season was 35 pts.

fair enough Madden was a big part of our success in his role but he was an UNDRAFTED PLAYER. A little bit easier to appreciate the guy for what he brought when you got it for pretty much nothing.

sorry but I'd expect a little more than a 35pts 3rd line center with on of our first round pick after seeing a bunch of our first rounders like Bergfors, Tedenby, Corrente, doing nothing.

Not every player has to be a first liner to be extremely valuable. Who would you take 5 years ago, Madden or Langenbrunner? And how do you expect Josefson to generate offense playing with Janssen, Tedenby, Barch and Matteau? I see no reason why he cant be a 45-55 scorer with the right linemates

Not every player has to be a first liner to be extremely valuable. Who would you take 5 years ago, Madden or Langenbrunner? And how do you expect Josefson to generate offense playing with Janssen, Tedenby, Barch and Matteau? I see no reason why he cant be a 45-55 scorer with the right linemates

that my thinking... he cant produce if i play with marginal player

You see a bunch of first round players who've been a bust, one comes along who figures to be pretty good and you say 'Man, why can't he be better?!' Leaving aside the whole Bergfors-was-actually-a-pretty-good-player-who-we-used-in-a-big-trade part, if Lou was told in 2009 right before making his pick: 'Jacob Josefson will be at least a 13-15 minute center who kills penalties and defends well, and whose offense will top out at around 40 points', I'd hope he'd be drafted immediately by Lou. Such players are quite valuable and difficult to find.

You see a bunch of first round players who've been a bust, one comes along who figures to be pretty good and you say 'Man, why can't he be better?!' Leaving aside the whole Bergfors-was-actually-a-pretty-good-player-who-we-used-in-a-big-trade part, if Lou was told in 2009 right before making his pick: 'Jacob Josefson will be at least a 13-15 minute center who kills penalties and defends well, and whose offense will top out at around 40 points', I'd hope he'd be drafted immediately by Lou. Such players are quite valuable and difficult to find.

Ok hear me out here. i feel every single of my posts are misinterpreted lately its unreal. Not saying JJ will be a bust or anything and OF COURSE you need guys like that in a team and good if we have one for a long time, depth wins championship. Also JJ will always be buried behind Zajac and Henrique we know that so a 3rd role is perfect if that's his peak. So you're right with that pick Lou solidified our centre position for awhile. I'm not bashing the poor kid at all. And of

i just feel that some people here pin him as an integral part of our success as if he's gonna be one of top player, which he will not be. Bolland is really helpful and of course he's helping chicago a lot we all know that. But when you talk chicago and their success you clearly see Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook as their core.

please for the love of god understand what im trying to say here lol i just feel there's a little too much hype and excitement for what he could eventually become thats all.

JJ has to stay on the ice and then we'll see what we've got with him. He hasn't proven much of anything yet. I see some potential and I think he's becoming more confident but it's hard to say what he's going to be when he gets it all together. The only thing we know for sure about the guy is he's been pretty fragile so far. Let's hope we've seen the last of the injuries...

JJ has to stay on the ice and then we'll see what we've got with him. He hasn't proven much of anything yet. I see some potential and I think he's becoming more confident but it's hard to say what he's going to be when he gets it all together. The only thing we know for sure about the guy is he's been pretty fragile so far. Let's hope we've seen the last of the injuries...

You gotta give JJ the benefit of the doubt. He usually ends up centering for Dink and Doink.

I read about this on twitter around 2:30 but couldn't post with link, figured someone would be on it. I'm gonna have to say Darche. Guy's been staying around, it only makes sense it would be him.

What I found odd is...Anderson was on his normal line in practice. Why not have Darche on that line to see how everything goes, how they gelled together etc. They don't have an actual full practice often, today was one. I would assume they would have who they think they would have on that line probably knowing sending Anderson down.