Official 2009 New York Mets Offseason Thread

Prucenterrules

castillo's batting line by month this year:

april - .370/.433/.444

may - .244/.373/.293

june - .244/.330/.280

july - .391/.487/.469

i know his average was down in may and june but his OBP stayed very consistent.. there is probably no use of even putting his slugging% since hes a singles hitter.

his contract still isn't great so yeah it would help if the Mets could get rid of it to a team that needs a top of the order 2B.. but then they better replace him with someone of high caliber like Orlando Hudson, though I believe he might end up resigning with LA..

the other free agent 2B names: Mark DeRosa, Felipe Lopez, Placido Polanco. Freddy Sanchez has a $10M team option and you would figure PIT would turn it down but I heard they were trying to sign both him and Jack Wilson to extensions.. Akinori Iwamura has a club option too but I think the Rays might turn it down since Ben Zobrist is having an amazing year for them and should be their starting 2B next year..

Im sure some teams will have interest in Castillo next offseason, but I think in the end the Mets will hang onto him. If they really wanted to trade him so badly they would have made a 'bad contract-for-bad contract' swap last offseason, but instead they held onto him because of his plea that he would be in shape and be better.. and lets be honest - he backed it up.. hes quicker on the bases this year and is having a nice year, you just cant say his stats are inflated because of the past week or so.

re: defense - its not great but its better than last year's, especially the range (RngR = Range runs above average)..

castillo's 2008 RngR: -6.1

castillo's 2009 RngR: -1.3

May and June were pretty weak, although like you say, his OB%s weren't bad at all. So he's had two big months and two "meh" months.

He HAS been better overall this year, compared to last (not really hard to do), but it's like I said, this team needs new faces, and Castillo should be one to go. Like Hasan pointed out, he was part of the '03 WS Champs, but this guy doesn't scream "winner" to me. I could also see him sliding backward next season, just like Tatis. If he's back next season I'm not going to be happy about it.

I'm curious if anyone's been watching what Castillo's been doing. I'm not familiar with contending teams' needs...do any of them need a second baseman? That contract IS a killer though.

He HAS been better overall this year, compared to last (not really hard to do), but it's like I said, this team needs new faces, and Castillo should be one to go. Like Hasan pointed out, he was part of the '03 WS Champs, but this guy doesn't scream "winner" to me. I could also see him sliding backward next season, just like Tatis. If he's back next season I'm not going to be happy about it.

I dunno man, .301/.398/.358 .. that average and OBP are very good for a #2 hitter.. and he makes alot of contact and is one of the toughest guys to strike out in the league. you cant expect him to be better than that.

"better than last year" numbers would be something like .270/.365/.315

I'm curious if anyone's been watching what Castillo's been doing. I'm not familiar with contending teams' needs...do any of them need a second baseman? That contract IS a killer though.

cubs could use a 2B.. they have nothing at that position right now with guys like mike fontenot and aaron miles having terrible years.

Edited by nmigliore

nmig...some of what Castillo's done has been as an #8 hitter...it hasn't all been out of the #2 hole. But yeah, he's been good for a #2 hitter. I'm still not a big fan of his though. Between his loafing last season and the dropped pop-up this season, among other things, I can't see myself warming up to him anytime soon.

BREAKING NEWS: Investigator Sherlock Minaya has called a press conference for 2:30 pm.

EDIT: Make that 3:30, according to the WFAN update.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

nmig...some of what Castillo's done has been as an #8 hitter...it hasn't all been out of the #2 hole. But yeah, he's been good for a #2 hitter. I'm still not a big fan of his though. Between his loafing last season and the dropped pop-up this season, among other things, I can't see myself warming up to him anytime soon.

actually, believe it or not, castillo has been more productive batting 2nd (so to say he benefited from batting 8th is a bit unfair, assuming thats what you were implying, sorry if you weren't):

castillo batting 8th in 2009: 70 at bats - .329/.420/.400

castillo batting 2nd in 2009: 127 at bats - .354/.450/.417

-- those numbers are pretty sick batting 2nd.

edit: i should also throw in that castillo loves citi field: 129 at bats, .349/.442/.419 - thats comes out to a .861 OPS, which is .194 points higher than his road OPS. Its still only July.. but Im really starting to believe Castillo really needs to be part of next year's team. i know we all sort of hate him for his dropped pop-up and his occasional 'ball rolls right through the legs' errors, but thats just focusing on the bad too much.. which is something we did with beltran; we always found a way to criticize him no matter how good his stats were.

BREAKING NEWS: Investigator Sherlock Minaya has called a press conference for 2:30 pm.

EDIT: Make that 3:30, according to the WFAN update.

my 3 guesses, in order:

1) update on bernazard saga

2) update on injured player(s)

3) trade/signing/other roster move(s)

edit: THE NY POST REPORTS TONY BERNAZARD HAS BEEN FIRED.

^ that is terrific news.

Edited by nmigliore

They had to fire him, it was just too much PR baggage and the Mets only respond when they have a proverbial gun to their heads, which they did here. Funny timing that it comes just before the homestand, but whatever. He finally got what was coming to him, however late it came.

lol at Omar picking a fight with Adam Rubin, you can tell Omar had to be dragged kicking and screaming into dumping Tony B, he even defended Bernazard as a baseball man :P

Edited by Hasan4978

Omar Minaya is really doing a terrible job in this interview... he just basically accused Rubin of possibly writing a bogus report to try and get Bernazard fired...

i will say this.. the axe just moved closer to minaya's head.

Edited by nmigliore

It's pitiful, the Mets can't even fire a guy right - then again we already knew that from the Willie fiasco last year. Even if Rubin had an agenda (which Omar backed off of about as quickly as he said it), it still doesn't change the facts. There's no reason to pick a fight with the reporter now.

:lol: at Ojeda saying the tension between Omar and Rubin was comparable to Keith and Straw on picture day (the famous incident in '89 or '90 where Straw took a shot at Keith during the team picture because of comments Keith made about Straw holding out or whatever), god this organization looks so petty.

Edited by Hasan4978

It's pitiful, the Mets can't even fire a guy right - then again we already knew that from the Willie fiasco last year. Even if Rubin had an agenda (which Omar backed off of about as quickly as he said it), it still doesn't change the facts. There's no reason to pick a fight with the reporter now.

:lol: at Ojeda saying the tension between Omar and Rubin was comparable to Keith and Straw on picture day (the famous incident in '89 or '90 where Straw took a shot at Keith during the team picture because of comments Keith made about Straw holding out or whatever), god this organization looks so petty.

Omar really does sound like a stammering mush-mouthed buffoon every time he gets in front of a mic. This guy should absolutely be next on the chopping block.

Like you said in your eariler post, this is about the Mets trying to do the right thing after getting blasted yet again for coming off like amateurs, and like you said, they still find a way to clank the rim on slam dunks.

I agree lol. Minaya is next to go. He accused Adam Rubin that he wants a front office job and that is a no-no. It was a tough firing of bernazard but IMO its one down and two to go, Next will be Manuel them Minaya that will be fired. What a news conference it was. One for the ages for the Mets in a longtime. Minaya kept putting his fgoot in his mouth and should have not said some of the things he said about Adam Rubin the Daily News reporter who broke out the Bernazard stories. Wow more to come for the New York MESS, I mean Mets.

what I got out of this: Minaya came here today to attack Rubin because of his reports on Bernazard.. Minaya likes Bernazard and didn't want to fire him.

Yup totally agree...

what I got out of this: Minaya came here today to attack Rubin because of his reports on Bernazard.. Minaya likes Bernazard and didn't want to fire him.

What I got out of this: Omar interviews and press conference NEVER make Omar look good. Race is still too big a factor in Omar's thinking as well. Gee, I wonder what some of the reason Omar didn't want Antonio Garcia fired was...oh wait...

But this will continue to go back to the Wilpons. Once Fred passes and DNA Jeffrey is running the show it will get even worse.

Omar and the Mets are getting rightly shredded by Joe and Evan right now. This bonehead can't be allowed to retain his job after that embarrassment of a press conference. The Wilpons are inept, we all know it, but the least they can do is get this a$$hole off the team. At least we go into next season with less of a stench around the team.

just listened to Adam Runin's report and he was just "floored" by Minaya accusations. Wow. Minaya is in deeper sh!t now. he opened up a can of bad worms now onto the NY Mets beat writer. Not very good there Omar...The Mess (Mets) saga continues...

Omar and the Mets are getting rightly shredded by Joe and Evan right now. This bonehead can't be allowed to retain his job after that embarrassment of a press conference. The Wilpons are inept, we all know it, but the least they can do is get this a$$hole off the team. At least we go into next season with less of a stench around the team.

Totally agree CR. Minaya maybe the next to go after that news conference. One of the worst I have seen with this organazation.

About the only time you hear the Wilpons anymore over the last couple years are when it comes to saying how great CitiField is :rolleyes:

I think the last time Jeff or Fred made a public comment on the team itself was when Jeff called out Willie and Omar late during the 2007 collapse. Fred's basically let Jeff take over day-to-day operations anyway, I wouldn't count on Fred saying anything.

I wonder what the Wilpons will say...

oh wait they wont say anything.. i mean really have the Wilpons commented on anything this year? Are they even alive?

It's funny...on one hand, I want to hear what they have to say. On the other, I know I'll even be MORE annoyed and pissed by the time they're finished. The buffoonery in this organization starts at the top.

well regarding the actual baseball game (yeah believe it or not there is a game tonight!) .. huge series for the Mets.. winning 3/4 COULD get them back in the WC race depending on how San Francisco does in Pittsburgh..

lineup tonight:

Pagan - cf

Castillo - 2b

Wright - 3b

Murphy - 1b

Francoeur - rf

Sullivan - lf

Santos - c

Cora - ss

Perez - sp

according to Kevin Burkhardt (during the pre-game) the Wilpons will speak on this matter.. I dont know when.. I would assume after the game or something.

edit: Omar apologized for calling out Rubin at the press conference.. however he still stands by his allegations about Rubin.. which doesn't make sense considering Jeff Wilpon backed up Rubin's story that he came to him for advice on how to get into bigger things in baseball

heres the link for it the full audio of it http://www.wfan.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=3905965

Edited by nmigliore

bases loaded... 1 out... sullivan coming to the plate but they are bringing in a lefty.. if you bring in tatis you get the good righty bat vs lefty pitcher matchup but hes been incredibly double play prone... hmmm

i would take my chances with tatis, and thats what they are doing...

Edited by nmigliore