• Netherlands
    • Greece
    • Denmark
    • Czech Republic
    • Poland
    • Croatia
    • Sweden
    • Republic of Ireland

After his strong & powerful game... missing a penalty isn't "chocked" ... his shot wasn't that bad... but unlucky (when fabregas got extra extra lucky on his attempt)

I don't usually root for Portugal but when i do.. it's against spain !

After his strong & powerful game... missing a penalty isn't "chocked" ... his shot wasn't that bad... but unlucky (when fabregas got extra extra lucky on his attempt)

Spain really looks vulnerable today, not much tiki taka. Lets see what happens in OT

Spain has been bad today. The first half was a great game, 2nd half was a slog.

Thats the way they have played the whole tournament.

By the end of the game Del Bosque had finally reverted to a style which Spain used to play before he went off his rocker. Navas and Pedro with pace out wide, creating runs beyond the ball. Unfortunately for him due to the selection of Nergedo (using him in a system he could contribute precisely nothing too) and then replacing him with Fabregas (and then changing system making fabregas' including nearly as useless) he never at one point had the right personnel on the field at the right time.

As Mouse said the guy isn’t much of a tactician.

If he plays the system he played in extra time for the full game, with either Lorente or Torres up front for a full 90 minutes in the next game, they will put in a hell of a performance.

The team I would select would be:

Casilas

Arbeloa/Pique/Ramos/Alba

Alonso

Xavi/Inesta

Silva Navas

Torres

Then if Xavi or Inesta get tired bring on Fabregas. Replace Torres with Llorente, and switch either Silva (he is not good for 90 minutes) with Pedro or Mata.

Also Ronaldo let his ego get the better of him in the penalty shootout, i dont care who you are you dont let Bruno Alves take a penalty before Ronaldo.

As much as it pains we to say it , i am really looking forward to watching Germany tonight. They are the most entertaining team in the whole tournament.

Agreed on all counts.

That was the most assured display from Portugal at the back all tornament, although they were having to foul and take bookings to make up for their mistakes.

Contraeo was the MoTM.

Also Ronaldo let his ego get the better of him in the penalty shootout, i dont care who you are you dont let Bruno Alves take a penalty before Ronaldo.

Not too sure about that.. I dunno what's the final decision of Ronaldo (if he was going to shoot the "last" one or not)... but he is still traumatized by this missing on Champion's league... and the goalie in front of him.. he is the one that is training with him during penalty ...

tough decision.. and maybe wise decision.

And if Spain make Piqué try one, Bruno Alvès could do the same !

Not too sure about that.. I dunno what's the final decision of Ronaldo (if he was going to shoot the "last" one or not)... but he is still traumatized by this missing on Champion's league... and the goalie in front of him.. he is the one that is training with him during penalty ...

tough decision.. and maybe wise decision.

And if Spain make Piqué try one, Bruno Alvès could do the same !

Hmmmmm i am not convinced.

He wanted the glory kick, he wanted to be the one who won it for Portugal.

He has taken so many penalties since Moscow, in high pressure situations for Madrid, i think he should be well over that now (epecially since United won :angry: ).

Casilas did save Pepe's penalty, and they train together.

Yeah i take your point about Alves and Pique,(i mean Ramos scored the best penalty of the night) but i just dont like defenders taking penalties.

When David Luiz stepped up for Chelsea in the Champions Leauge final this season i nearly died!!

Yet they've still only given up 1 goal the entire tournament.

Teams just cant score against Spain.

They are still riding their luck. They are not scoring.

Looks like they will ride their luck all the way to the title.

So far Löws defensive strategy has blow up in his face. He said he wanted Germany to dictate the game. Instead he pushes the panic button because of Pirlo. They were able to contain Messi without the extra midfielder, I don't know what makes Pirlo more special. Podolski is having a bad game, and özil has to cover the right side taking away his freedom. I have never seen Löw screw up his tactics like that.

Sounds kinda like how they did it in the World Cup, and Euro 2004.

It works for them.

Euro 2008? They won't want to remember 2004.

In 2008 they didn't play anything like this. they were free scoring. They played with real pace.

In the world cup it was hybrid game. But it was more a result of teams shutting up shop and playing everyone behind the ball. The final was an example of that. Holland completely changed their tactics. And they still lost.

The fact that they are winning makes this difficult to argue, but they are not playing well.

Euro 2008? They won't want to remember 2004.

In 2008 they didn't play anything like this. they were free scoring. They played with real pace.

In the world cup it was hybrid game. But it was more a result of teams shutting up shop and playing everyone behind the ball. The final was an example of that. Holland completely changed their tactics. And they still lost.

The fact that they are winning makes this difficult to argue, but they are not playing well.

Meant 08 obviously.

The only games they were "free scoring" in Euro 2008 was against Russia, who they scored 7 against over two games (gave up none). It also didn't hurt that they were in the easiest group in the entire tournament.

Im not saying they are playing "well", but its not across the board. They've had two games where they've played like crap, one of which they drew, and the other they won on penalties.

They may not be playing with a lot of pace or scoring a lot, but again, they've given up 1 goal in 6 games.