A frustrated fan says so long to the Canucks - Any STHs here walking?

DEV1LDR1VER

Ironically having season tickets is the only reason I'm 'not' really considering boycotting. Having $22 aisle seats - which I haven't even got to sit in yet - right behind the net is the best deal in the building, and I'd rather not give that up unless it really got to the point where I could no longer enjoy the game (probably won't get anywhere near that point even with another canceled season though).

If I didn't have season tickets at all though, then I'd probably be going a lot less (at least for as long as the lockout lasts) and make a point to only buy tickets on the secondary market when I do go.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I moved to the area last year; I was planning on getting a plan this season.

But now, not a chance. If they cancel this year I'm only watching on TV in 2013-2014.

That logic makes no sense. The Devils organization has nothing to do with the lockout...why punish them (and yourself) because a select few are being stubborn enough to drag this out?

I just don't understand the fans who say they're "giving up" or "not a hockey fan anymore" or they "lose interest" after a work stoppage. Obviously, you weren't a very big hockey fan in the first place if that's the case.

That logic makes no sense. The Devils organization has nothing to do with the lockout...why punish them (and yourself) because a select few are being stubborn enough to drag this out?

I just don't understand the fans who say they're "giving up" or "not a hockey fan anymore" or they "lose interest" after a work stoppage. Obviously, you weren't a very big hockey fan in the first place if that's the case.

On your first point, the Devils do have something to do with the lockout. All 30 owners voted unanimously for it. Pulling money is the consumers only voice. I really can't blame people for not wanting to pay into it anymore.

And I don't think it's fair to throw the 'you aren't a big fan' argument at people who are sick of this. I'm a huge hockey fan, and I have been for 20 years. I've been giving the Devils money since I could first drive to games by myself in the late 90's. I became a season ticket holder 4 years ago when I finally had the money and free time to make it worth it. Now they are holding a couple of thousand of my dollars. Of course I've thought of asking for it back. I could use that for other things. I don't think that makes me any less of a fan.

I agree 100%.. Again, why screw over the Devils when about 8 or 9 owners are the ones making the NHL drag this out.. Do you really think Jeff is going to do better by not playing? I guarantee he is ready to get back to hockey right now.. The players are also to blame, but you're not really punishing them by refusing to spend money on the Devils..

It'll just mean that the good players will get signed to places with lots of money.. Yay, we can experience the loss of Zach Parise every year!! Then we'll be like the Islanders who don't spend and thus can't attract any talent to the team.. Yeah that'll show them!!

Be as angry about the situation as you want, but the FACT of the matter is that the New Jersey Devils are NOT to blame for this lockout.. Rich teams with rich owners are, and that's exactly who benefits if you stop supporting the Devils.. The Rangers and Flyers, for example, have massive fan bases so they will recover like nothing ever happened.. So you'll put the Devils in a worse position while the Rangers and Flyers continue spending to the cap and being successful

And let me just remind everyone that the NJ Devils will never be a lock to stay like the Rangers or Flyers are.. This team desperately needs every fan possible (and every STH possible) to be able to stay.. 25 years from now, if we don't have an owner committed to keeping the team here (and it'll take fan support to do that) then it's a very real possibility that the team moves.. It's a doomsday scenario but we all know the current attendance issues even with the team being so successful

The Canucks have a long waiting list, that guy is only hurting himself.. If you want to protest the lockout, then don't watch national TV games.. Punish the NHL, not the Devils.. You're just hurting your underdog team, a team that is definitely against the lockout, and a team that represents a state that no other team is willing to represent

So no, I will not give up my season tickets

• Like 1

I have been thinking about cancelling if the whole season is done, but I was thinking about it for other reasons prior to the lockout anyways... Have to wait and see. Atleast the Devils called me 5+ times to see if I had any questions. Funny that they always seem to call when I am at work or sleeping from an overnight shift. Haha.

To send a message? Because they're fed up with a sport that shuts down every seven years?

I understand not wanting to hurt the Devils but honestly it's getting to the point where hockey fans ARE going to fight back. If baseball fans didn't finally send a message of their own in 1995 (attendance being down 20% everywhere, fan backlash), they'd still be striking every chance they got. Now after two decades of striking or being locked out after the end of every CBA, they've had almost two decades without a labor war. Hockey's locking out again after 2004 because the fans came back. If the fans don't automatically come back, then maybe this vicious cycle could finally stop...sadly it's the only way to really find out since there's no other tangible reason this cycle will stop.

And the guy watching on TV instead of going isn't 'hurting himself', he's still watching the games. I agree giving up the team/sport entirely is a bit self-defeating but millions of baseball fans did after 1994. Very few hockey fans did, but there's a LOT more betrayal in the air this time. There's no reason for the league to be locking out, or for the players to be collectively acting like they're all five years old.

I've said time and time again thank goodness the Devils haven't been among the main heavys but that isn't the case everywhere. Imagine being a Hawks fan with a$$es like Toews and Bolland? Or a Bruins fan knowing your owner is a big player in the lockout?

Edited by NJDevs4978

I doubt enough people are going to cancel season tickets to jeopardize the Devils long term ability to stay in New Jersey. I can't blame any fan that does cancel tickets since its really the only way possible for them to voice their displeasure and probably more significant (albeit really small anyway) than not watching a nationally televised game. I doubt enough people are going to stop watching those games for the NHL to even notice.

I never had enough money for season tickets yet (I'm just 24) and though I only made it to 1 game last year, I had been averaging 4-8 a year since they moved to The Rock in the years prior. After the last lockout I couldn't wait to get back and rushed online to buy tickets and flock to the game like nothing had happened. This time around I can say I have no desire to attend a NHL game for quite some time even though I can afford it again. I've also told everyone in my family to not get me Devils gear or memorbilia like I usually receive at Christmas and my birthday. I love hockey but anything NHL related makes me disgusted at this point.

• Like 1

I doubt enough people are going to cancel season tickets to jeopardize the Devils long term ability to stay in New Jersey.

Probably not, especially since they have an arena lease and rich TV contract for about the next twenty or so years, so moving's not a concern in this generation. Being competitive is, but that'll depend on a lot of things with what happens in ownership over the next few years more than it will a couple thousand (if that) fans boycotting.

This lockout couldn't have come at a worse time for the Devils themselves though, between VBK's financial problems and the 3500-4000 new season ticket holders over the last two years they're trying to keep in the fold. Not to mention all the buzz they had from the Finals run last year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I usually have the 13 game weekend plan. I probably go to 5 or 6 additional games where I get better seats (lower bowl). I'll still get a plan. Not so much the extra games. I know the owners are counting on fans like me. However, I like watching the games and the skill level of the NHL players. When I'm at the games I have very little thought on the financial aspects of the league or the players. I just want to watch the games. Until this week though I haven't really missed it. Last night I watched a Regina Pats Vancouver Giants game on NHL network that was played on 11/16/12!

:blink::doh1:

PSH, Devils are a part of my life. Why would I hurt them and myself by not going. I LOVE hockey, I LOVE the Devils they are my passion. I play in leagues, I go to any game if I have enough money, I watch any games on tv, I take trips to Philly Montreal Long Island New York and Washington to see them play. Why would I give up on my passion? I will renew my season tickets for next season if there is no season this year.

Edited by Zubie#8
  • Like 1

On your first point, the Devils do have something to do with the lockout. All 30 owners voted unanimously for it. Pulling money is the consumers only voice. I really can't blame people for not wanting to pay into it anymore.

And I don't think it's fair to throw the 'you aren't a big fan' argument at people who are sick of this. I'm a huge hockey fan, and I have been for 20 years. I've been giving the Devils money since I could first drive to games by myself in the late 90's. I became a season ticket holder 4 years ago when I finally had the money and free time to make it worth it. Now they are holding a couple of thousand of my dollars. Of course I've thought of asking for it back. I could use that for other things. I don't think that makes me any less of a fan.

I've been a Devils fan before many members on this board were even born. I've been consistently going to games since the '87-'88 season. There is no bigger Devils fan than me.

That being said, even though Colin makes strong points on why it's good for the Devil organization for fans to go flocking back the minute the Devils are back on the ice, I can't do it. Not right away. I'm just too annoyed about all of it. Just about everyone involved has come off as so unlikable and unsympathetic, even though if I have to pick a side, I'm going with the players. But it's like I've said in a previous post...after seeing news story after news story about people who lost absolutely everything due to Hurricane Sandy, this lockout nonsense has a way of seeming a lot less significant, in the grand scheme.

Me not wanting to be a part of the NHL for a while has nothing to do with wanting to stick it to anyone...they've just sapped my enthusiasm for the game, my desire to go watch the product, which I didn't think was possible until this season, as I came sprinting back in '95 and '05. The fact is, if someone gave me freebies to the first game of the season, I wouldn't want to go...I wouldn't enjoy the experience, and it will be a while before I feel differently...how long, I don't know. If anything, once I start to thaw, I wouldn't mind watching some games in the local Newark restaurants and bars...support those businesses that did absolutely nothing to deserve the hand they've been dealt.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

You are totally contradicting yourself.

There is no bigger Devils fan than me.

If you're such a big fan, you'd continue to go to games and continue to watch.

That being said, even though Colin makes strong points on why it's good for the Devil organization for fans to go flocking back the minute the Devils are back on the ice, I can't do it. Not right away. I'm just too annoyed about all of it.

If someone gave me freebies to the first game of the season, I wouldn't want to go...I wouldn't enjoy the experience

You wouldn't even use free tickets to a game? Insanity! You're obviously not as big of a fan as you claim...

Do the Devils have SOME role in the lockout? Yes, a very miniscule one (a 1-in-30 role, to be exact) but I'll bet that Vanderbeek would rather see the lockout end then continue to see it drag on. It's frustrating to see fans get disillusioned with the teams/players they love when in reality, it's a select few people in power and their stubbornness that is extending the lockout.

PSH, Devils are a part of my life. Why would I hurt them and myself by not going. I LOVE hockey, I LOVE the Devils they are my passion. I play in leagues, I go to any game if I have enough money, I watch any games on tv, I take trips to Philly Montreal Long Island New York and Washington to see them play. Why would I give up on my passion? I will renew my season tickets for next season if there is no season this year.

Exactly how I feel...and how true fans should feel.

You are totally contradicting yourself.

If you're such a big fan, you'd continue to go to games and continue to watch.

You wouldn't even use free tickets to a game? Insanity! You're obviously not as big of a fan as you claim...

Do the Devils have SOME role in the lockout? Yes, a very miniscule one (a 1-in-30 role, to be exact) but I'll bet that Vanderbeek would rather see the lockout end then continue to see it drag on. It's frustrating to see fans get disillusioned with the teams/players they love when in reality, it's a select few people in power and their stubbornness that is extending the lockout.

Nice job chopping up my post and cherry-picking.

I'm not posting to fvcking debate you on how big a fan I am...sorry I don't live my fan life according to the almighty doctrine of JWomp. Wonderful for you, you keep on running back no matter what...you're part of reason that the Donald Fehrs and Gary Bettmans of the world are as arrogant as they are. Whatever makes you happy. I have spent thousands of dollars on the Devils in the past 25+ years and countless hours watching games in person and on TV. Nothing you have to say about my fandom changes any of that. Yes, I dare to be somewhat "disillusioned" with a LEAGUE that killed roughly half a season in '95, an entire season in '04-'05, and is at the very least truncating yet another this year, all the while showing zero regard for its fanbase, non-player employees, and the businesses that depend on the NHL to make a living. It has nothing to do with how a big of a Devils fan I am, and if you can't/don't/won't understand that, that some fans aren't just laying around waiting to lap up whatever we're blessed enough to get, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, I am disgusted by this nonsense, and yes, I am going to find it hard to embrace NHL hockey when it finally starts up again. Yes, in time I will get past it. But clearly this sh!t has gotten to me...like I said in my previous post, the other two times I came sprinting back.

Nice job chopping up my post and cherry-picking.

I'm not posting to fvcking debate you on how big a fan I am...sorry I don't live my fan life according to the almighty doctrine of JWomp. Wonderful for you, you keep on running back no matter what...you're part of reason that the Donald Fehrs and Gary Bettmans of the world are as arrogant as they are. Whatever makes you happy. I have spent thousands of dollars on the Devils in the past 25+ years and countless hours watching games in person and on TV. Nothing you have to say about my fandom changes any of that. Yes, I dare to be somewhat "disillusioned" with a LEAGUE that killed roughly half a season in '95, an entire season in '04-'05, and is at the very least truncating yet another this year, all the while showing zero regard for its fanbase, non-player employees, and the businesses that depend on the NHL to make a living. It has nothing to do with how a big of a Devils fan I am, and if you can't/don't/won't understand that, that some fans aren't just laying around waiting to lap up whatever we're blessed enough to get, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, I am disgusted by this nonsense, and yes, I am going to find it hard to embrace NHL hockey when it finally starts up again. Yes, in time I will get past it. But clearly this sh!t has gotten to me...like I said in my previous post, the other two times I came sprinting back.

Great post Colorado Rockies 1976 and since your someone that has been a fan of the team longer than a lot of us on this forum have been alive I think you deserve a lot of respect. I feel that you are right on in every point you make in this post and there are a lot of other die hard fans out there that are at a point where they have had enough.

I wonder if there is going to be fan backlash like after the 94 MLB Strike? That didn't affect me since I started watching in 95 but I've come across a lot of baseball fans in my life that only started to come back in recent years. It took the Phillies 08 run to get my grandfather back into it. Somethings gotta give at some point.

Great post Colorado Rockies 1976 and since your someone that has been a fan of the team longer than a lot of us on this forum have been alive I think you deserve a lot of respect. I feel that you are right on in every point you make in this post and there are a lot of other die hard fans out there that are at a point where they have had enough.

I wonder if there is going to be fan backlash like after the 94 MLB Strike? That didn't affect me since I started watching in 95 but I've come across a lot of baseball fans in my life that only started to come back in recent years. It took the Phillies 08 run to get my grandfather back into it. Somethings gotta give at some point.

Thanks, and to tell you the truth, I find the whole thing to be very sad more than anything else. I don't want to feel the way about the NHL that I do...the Devils and NHL hockey have been a huge part of my life, for well over half of it. I was a teenager when I became a Devils fan, and I hate feeling this way now. I have a 4-year-old little girl who I want to share my passion with, who I can take to games as she grows up...seems so distant now...

Re: a potential backlash, I think it could happen, though to what extent, hard to say...I think fans were much more understanding the last time, and Crosby/Ovechkin created a nice buzz to draw fans in.

Whoops, I should've added "People calling other's dedication into question" to my original post.

Not really...it's one guy (JWomp) who apparently thinks anyone who doesn't see this as black-and-white as he does isn't a real fan. Though I don't agree with Colin's take entirely, I do understand and respect what he's saying about supporting the Devils, and having met Colin multiple times, I am sure he accepts the many different reactions people are having, even if they're different than his own. I reacted the way I did because I'm not taking any sh!t from JWomp over the way I feel about this, and having my dedication called into question.