A frustrated fan says so long to the Canucks - Any STHs here walking?

DEV1LDR1VER

CR76 is a very big Devils fan (I know him personally)

All I'm saying is that I feel like I can protest the NHL as a whole without hurting the Devils (who have absolutely no reason to want a lockout)

I understood exactly what you're saying and you presented your viewpoint very well, and in a very compelling manner.

Looks like I struck a nerve...settle down.

Like I said, not taking your sh!t over this...people have a right to express their range of emotions and takes on this without you condescendingly spewing what amounts to "duuuuuuuh, then you're not a real fan, because if you were, you'd do as JWomp decrees." This latest lockout is not an isolated event, and unless you're a complete moron you should be able to understand why even the most ardent fans are getting sick of it all, and why some won't be as quick to come back as others this time around.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Nice job chopping up my post and cherry-picking.

I'm not posting to fvcking debate you on how big a fan I am...sorry I don't live my fan life according to the almighty doctrine of JWomp. Wonderful for you, you keep on running back no matter what...you're part of reason that the Donald Fehrs and Gary Bettmans of the world are as arrogant as they are. Whatever makes you happy. I have spent thousands of dollars on the Devils in the past 25+ years and countless hours watching games in person and on TV. Nothing you have to say about my fandom changes any of that. Yes, I dare to be somewhat "disillusioned" with a LEAGUE that killed roughly half a season in '95, an entire season in '04-'05, and is at the very least truncating yet another this year, all the while showing zero regard for its fanbase, non-player employees, and the businesses that depend on the NHL to make a living. It has nothing to do with how a big of a Devils fan I am, and if you can't/don't/won't understand that, that some fans aren't just laying around waiting to lap up whatever we're blessed enough to get, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yes, I am disgusted by this nonsense, and yes, I am going to find it hard to embrace NHL hockey when it finally starts up again. Yes, in time I will get past it. But clearly this sh!t has gotten to me...like I said in my previous post, the other two times I came sprinting back.

I couldn't agree more. As long as we get some sort of season + playoffs I won't be so aggravated but if we miss yet another entire season I'm going to have a really hard time giving my money to them next year without feeling like an idiot. I'll always watch the Devils on tv if I decide to cancel but I'm so fed up with both sides that it's left me with a lot of bad feelings about paying for anything.

Like I said, not taking your sh!t over this...people have a right to express their range of emotions and takes on this without you condescendingly spewing what amounts to "duuuuuuuh, then you're not a real fan, because if you were, you'd do as JWomp decrees." This latest lockout is not an isolated event, and unless you're a complete moron you should be able to understand why even the most ardent fans are getting sick of it all, and why some won't be as quick to come back as others this time around.

I'm not giving you any sh!t...you're getting awfully defensive. I was simply pointing out the inconsistencies in the things you were saying. I'm not decreeing anything, and I couldn't care less how big of a fan you are (or anyone else, for that matter). I'm sick of the lockout crap, too.

All I am saying is that I'm a HUGE fan and I will be back at games and watching the team on TV the second that the NHL is back...which is what makes logical sense to me. By definition, a true fan doesn't give up on the team, and devoted fans don't punish the team (and themselves) by ceasing to watch and attend games. If someone is passionate about the Devils and they enjoy watching the team and cheering them on, they should be chomping at the bit to get to a game or to watch a game, ESPECIALLY at a time like this.

But, to each his own. Have fun being all melodramatic.

I can definitely see both sides of the argument on this. There is no right or wrong answer. Personally, I love going to as many games as possible and will not be canceling my season tickets.

I feel like the Devils (JVB in particular) are in a tough situation when it comes to this lockout. While getting the best deal possible so ownership keeps a larger % of the league's revenue is obviously in the best interest of the team, not playing any games right now has got to be a huge financial burden to an organization that was already in the red. Add on top of that the fact that the team has lost all momentum from last years run to the SCF by this point as the casual fan they picked up for the ride has already moved onto something else, if this season is lost the lockout couldn't be much more of a disaster for the team.

If you can't look at the lockout and see that the Devils organization/owners/GM are miles apart from the group of people at the front lines that are making it happen, then you need to reassess how this league works. Unfortunately, this isn't some feel-good inspirational Disney movie where Vanderbeek can put his foot down and put an end to this nonsense by stepping up. No, he shoots himself in the foot by almost obligatorily going along with the lockout, and he'd shoot himself in the other foot by speaking up against it. If you can't recognize that simple fact, then you're holding the Devils accountable for something you really shouldn't at a time that the franchise can use all the season ticket holders and fans in seats that it can possibly get.

Voicing your opinion by not attending games doesn't really DO anything to affect the NHL, it just further perpetuates the Devils' tradition of subpar attendance. I understand and respect where your intentions would be in the case that this is what you want to do, but with respect to specifically the Devils franchise, your actions are misguided.

I could understand this if we were the Canucks or Rangers or Maple Leafs, but not the Devils.

Edited by DJ Eco

I'm not giving you any sh!t...you're getting awfully defensive. I was simply pointing out the inconsistencies in the things you were saying. I'm not decreeing anything, and I couldn't care less how big of a fan you are (or anyone else, for that matter). I'm sick of the lockout crap, too.

All I am saying is that I'm a HUGE fan and I will be back at games and watching the team on TV the second that the NHL is back...which is what makes logical sense to me. By definition, a true fan doesn't give up on the team, and devoted fans don't punish the team (and themselves) by ceasing to watch and attend games. If someone is passionate about the Devils and they enjoy watching the team and cheering them on, they should be chomping at the bit to get to a game or to watch a game, ESPECIALLY at a time like this.

But, to each his own. Have fun being all melodramatic.

Calling fans out on how dedicated they are because they're not racing you to be first in line to the first Devils' game is horsesh!t, and disrespectful to boot.

I NEVER said I was giving up on the Devils, or ceasing to watch them. I will watch them on TV initially...not with the same enthusiasm at first, but I will be watching. Eventually I'll go back to the Rock, but like I've said, I wouldn't mind first supporting the local businesses in Newark who got flat-out screwed by all of this, through no fault of their own.

The big difference between you and I is that I can understand everyone's reactions to this. I can understand why Colin wants to let the NHL know he's not pleased with what's happened, but he's trying his best not to hurt the Devils in the process. I can understand why some fans have said enough is enough and may turn their backs on the NHL for either an extended period of time, or even for good. I understand that a lot of people are going through tough times right now for a variety of reasons, and simply no longer wish to try to relate to millionaires and billionaires squabbling over record revenues. I am not done with NHL and the Devils, and I will almost certainly be back at the Rock at some point during the season, but yet another friggin' lockout has sapped me of enough passion that I won't be bolting to the entrance cylinders right away like I once would've. I would guess by mid-season at the latest, I'm probably 90% or so back on board, but it's like I said, the last two times I was ready to go right from the announcement that the CBAs were in place, so clearly the third time ain't a charm for me.

If we lose another full season, then the NHL loses a lot of credibility in my eyes...I don't really know how I'd react to that until it actually happens. But if this gets resolved and then 6 or so years from now this sh!t happens AGAIN...I don't know how much more I can take.

All I will say is that like I have said on a previous thread that when the lockout happened in 04-05, it took almost 3 full seasons for me to get back into hockey the same way I was right before the lockout.

While I had a lot of things happening in my life at the time, the biggest thing that happened during that lockout year was that I learned I could live without hockey for a while. I still followed the team on TV for most of the games, but the diehard part of me fizzled for a little bit and it took a while for it to re-ignite again. I never lost my love for the game but I just learned that I could live without it.

That being said if the lockout ends and there is at least a partial season then I will probably be back right away. However if the whole season is lost I probably will end up feeling like I did last time.

coming in late, but i know exactly where cr76 is coming from. The Devils have been a major part of my life for over 20 years. I've had season tickets since I graduated college. i have spent ungodly amounts of money on tickets and merchandise over the years. i don't regret it because i felt that it fed my passion and was worth my commitment in terms of time, money and energy. my mood the next day could often be swayed by a random devils outcome the night before. you could say i'm in the "acceptance" phase but really, i've gotten to the point where i don't miss hockey anymore.

this isn't about anger. i'm not mad at anyone anymore. really, the owners (and to a much lesser extent) the players have stripped the passion away from me. while there's no doubt i'll still be a fan of the devils, i think it will take some real time before that passion comes back. I'm currently getting credit/interest for my season tickets so if there's no season, i'll have all next season paid for already. and i suppose i'll keep the tickets. maybe my passion comes back. but i'm not nearly as sure as i was before.

and THAT is what should worry owners. if the lifeblood of the NHL economy is the passionate fan that spends $5k - $10k on his NHL life, then they're going to feel that wrath for several years.

That logic makes no sense. The Devils organization has nothing to do with the lockout...why punish them (and yourself) because a select few are being stubborn enough to drag this out?

I just don't understand the fans who say they're "giving up" or "not a hockey fan anymore" or they "lose interest" after a work stoppage. Obviously, you weren't a very big hockey fan in the first place if that's the case.

I'm not trying to punish them or myself. I am just becoming a bit more apathetic to the league. It's really pathetic/"mickey mouse", that the league has to lose games every time they need a new CBA.

Aren't these people professionals? Their job is to work this out! If you have a lockout every time you SUCK at your job.

I'm not waiting on the edge of my seat for them to get a deal done this time. What's the point? Last time I was following it so closely but now that I have 0 faith in either sides why invest myself in it? If it comes back great; but at this point I've detached myself from it.

Edit: I have been a huge hockey fan since I could walk & comprehend what was happening on TV. Being a fan has nothing to do with it.

Edited by oofrostonoo

I'm not waiting on the edge of my seat for them to get a deal done this time. What's the point? Last time I was following it so closely but now that I have 0 faith in either sides why invest myself in it? If it comes back great; but at this point I've detached myself from it.

I'm the exact same way. I am not following any of the PR bullsh!t that the NHL and NHLPA are pumping out after each "negotiation" or meeting...I am completely ignoring the entire fiasco because I don't give a crap how close they are or how far they are, all I care about is that an agreement is reached. When that time comes, I will be right back on board.

I'm not trying to punish them or myself. I am just becoming a bit more apathetic to the league. It's really pathetic/"mickey mouse", that the league has to lose games every time they need a new CBA.

Aren't these people professionals? Their job is to work this out! If you have a lockout every time you SUCK at your job.

Edit: I have been a huge hockey fan since I could walk & comprehend what was happening on TV. Being a fan has nothing to do with it.

I definitely agree with this and what CR76 and Sundstrom are saying. It's not to punish the league or the team or anything. It's just a matter of not having the desire to go jumping right back in. I did in 1995 and 2005, and I guess I'm not as anxious this time. As DevsMan84 pointed out, we are surviving without hockey.

Calling out people for not being a huge fan is pretty ridiculous. It's not a pissing contest. If we weren't fans, we wouldn't be season ticket holders or on this site to begin with. Just because I'm less excited about dumping a few grand every year after the 3rd lockout in 17 years (and pretty much a guarantee or another one in 6-8 years) doesn't mean I'm not a fan.

I definitely agree with this and what CR76 and Sundstrom are saying. It's not to punish the league or the team or anything. It's just a matter of not having the desire to go jumping right back in. I did in 1995 and 2005, and I guess I'm not as anxious this time. As DevsMan84 pointed out, we are surviving without hockey.

Calling out people for not being a huge fan is pretty ridiculous. It's not a pissing contest. If we weren't fans, we wouldn't be season ticket holders or on this site to begin with. Just because I'm less excited about dumping a few grand every year after the 3rd lockout in 17 years (and pretty much a guarantee or another one in 6-8 years) doesn't mean I'm not a fan.

Pretty much sums it up. Sad that the league has managed to squelch the enthusiasm of me and some fellow hardcore hockey fans, even if it's only temporary.

JWomp, understand where you're coming from in wanting to come back immediately, as I felt the same way in the past, but just keep in mind that the message you send is that it's OK for the league to sh!t on your game and its fanbase time and time again...you'll keep taking it, no matter what. Never forget that this is OUR game, that without the FANS investing heavily in tickets to watch these guy play, there's no NHL. The Gary Bettmans and Donald Fehrs of the world have long forgotten that, and it's their assumption that fans will keep coming back, no matter how many times they hold our game hostage (along with the non-millionaires who depend on it for their livelihood), that feeds into their arrogance.

I wonder what it will say under the ice this time? "THANK YOU FANS...AGAIN?"

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The only way they can really thank the fans (besides lowering ticket prices, which won't happen) is by putting Bettman out to pasture once and for all when this is over. I know being hated is 'part of the job' but I can't remember one commissioner ever hated and disrespected by both players and fans as much as Bettman, in any sport. Not to mention one with such a horrendous labor record.

And the players need to not be d*cks ala JVR in the other thread and go the extra mile in fan relations signing stuff and doing whatever to cultivate interest. Not to mention agreeing to a CBA a bit longer than five years. Nobody wants to even THINK about another labor war so soon after this one ends.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The only way they can really thank the fans (besides lowering ticket prices, which won't happen) is by putting Bettman out to pasture once and for all when this is over. I know being hated is 'part of the job' but I can't remember one commissioner ever hated and disrespected by both players and fans as much as Bettman, in any sport. Not to mention one with such a horrendous labor record.

And the players need to not be d*cks ala JVR in the other thread and go the extra mile in fan relations signing stuff and doing whatever to cultivate interest. Not to mention agreeing to a CBA a bit longer than five years. Nobody wants to even THINK about another labor war so soon after this one ends.

i think there is a very real chance that bettman gets a golden parachute and is relieved as an olive branch/cleansing once this is done. it might be a complete PR move but it's a move that makes sense.

I read some article on Philly.com about a Flyers fan who proposes boycotting the opener whenever the game returns. It might not sound like much, but if enough fans around the league went along with that idea, it would be a pretty cool statement.

http://www.philly.co...HL-returns.html

I agree, would be pretty cool and would at least say SOMETHING, but for every one fan who would do something like that, there's several more JWomp-types who will be there for Game 1 no matter what. And unfortunately, the Bettmans and Fehrs know it. What really needs to happen is several weeks of, say, 60-70% capacity on average across the board...something that tells everyone involved that they'd better think very long and hard about doing this again in another 6-8 years. But it won't...like Colin said, some teams' fans (possibly ours) will stay away for a while, but for other teams, it will be business as usual...the Rangers will pick up right where they left off.