Trade Rumors and minor team trades.

SS-SS

hows that working for edm....might get them the 1st overall pick 3rd year in a row and counting

Not too good right now but they can't stay healthy. I bet they'll be pretty good in the next 3 years though.

trade urbom/palmieri/2nd for drew stafford

parise-zajac-stafford

kovalchuk-josefson-henrique

sykora-elias-zubrus

ponikarovski-carter-clarkson

that's drool worthy. of course, getting zajac healthy would be nice and I'm not convinced that's going to happen at all this year.

Agreed. I'm hoping that surgery wasn't a failure and that he's ok but I dunno I feel like something's up and they aren't telling us.

Kovalchuk, Zubrus and Clarkson will most likely be our RW for a few years.

the only way kovalchuk stays at RW is if Parise is resigned and even then i'm skeptical of that. i don't see this as a permanent change for him.

I would trade Parise for Jeff Carter

this makes absolutely zero sense for columbus. they just dealt courturier(1st) and voracek for him. they're not going to give him up for nothing (which, for this year is exactly what Parise is to a team w/ no hope of the playoffs). while columbus is dealing from a position of weakness if they are to deal carter, they will still certainly get something fairly comperable to what they had to give. i am not sure whether his NTC kicked in yet and he's proven that going to a team he's not terribly thrilled about might not be the best idea, there are plenty that would offer something decent in return.

off the top of my head:

kadre/1st from toronto

okposo/1st from NYI

desharnais/emelin from mtl

The thing is Kovy doesn't need the puck in fact thats when he gets into trouble. The thing that is maddening for me although he has improved is when he tries to gain the zone and go past three players in the process. Ideally you want someone like Carter to bring it in the zone and then dish it off to kovy who is shooting down the left side.

You trade for Halak not Elliott.

Elliott is 1.69 goals against and .938 save percentage after 23 games, both best in the NHL (currently). He's also got a 1.8mil cap hit through the end of the '13-'14 season.

Halak is 2.04 goals against and .908 save percentage after 27 games, 2nd best on the Blues (currently). He's got a 3.8mil cap hit through the end of '13-'14 season.

Both are 26. Hallak is 5'11" and Elliott is 6'3". I'd take the chance on Elliott and spend the rest of the cash on defense though I could live with Halak. And I only bring it up because I personally feel that Parise is going to walk and I'd rather get a 'problem solved' goalie than nothing.

Now you're thinking.

I try to keep it to a minimum because it tends to kill the buzz LOL

Edited by jim777

Elliott is 1.69 goals against and .938 save percentage after 23 games, both best in the NHL (currently). He's also got a 1.8mil cap hit through the end of the '13-'14 season.

Halak is 2.04 goals against and .908 save percentage after 27 games, 2nd best on the Blues (currently). He's got a 3.8mil cap hit through the end of '13-'14 season.

Both are 26. Hallak is 5'11" and Elliott is 6'3". I'd take the chance on Elliott and spend the rest of the cash on defense though I could live with Halak. And I only bring it up because I personally feel that Parise is going to walk and I'd rather get a 'problem solved' goalie than nothing.

I try to keep it to a minimum because it tends to kill the buzz LOL

I wouldn't trade for Elliott. There is no evidence to suggest that his performance is the norm this season.

His career average is 2.90 with a .909 sv% which is average.

It's the chance you take I guess when the guy is making 1.8 million per. Also, I think you would naturally try quite a bit harder to keep up on your game when the whole NHL looks at you as the heir to Marty's throne. It's a gamble, you're right, but I'd take it. He's a big kid with chops who seems to be getting better.

yeah it would be like trading for Theodore the year after he won the vezina...

Or signing Halak to 3.8 million the year after? ;)

Edited by jim777

Halak is a money goalie see Olympics and playoff run with the Habs.

Halak has never played more that 57 games in a season as a starter. I think if we're shopping for a replacement (and again, this was a theoretical goalie and a right wing proposition) then we should look at the guy who might be able to play 60 games a season going forward over the guy who we know will need a backup for maybe 30+ starts.

Agreed. I'm hoping that surgery wasn't a failure and that he's ok but I dunno I feel like something's up and they aren't telling us.

I think it has more to do with him trying to come back and not being 100%. An Achilles's injury is brutal, and depending on the sever/tear, he might just not have the flexibility back that would allow him to be at his peak. He's probably got swelling/stiffness and is gonna need some more rehab to get right.

As for Stafford, I'm on board provided he can get back to the gritty areas and bury some of the rebounds which seem to be kryptonite for our guys.

If you want a goalie tandem for next season that isn't Marty/Moose, I'd say Nittymaki/Harding.

If you want a big goaltender who can perhaps shadow and fill Marty's shoes then bypass Halak/Elliott and trade for Ben Bishop.

I looked into him when Bob MacKenzie started mentioning him a few weeks ago, by all means I'd take a shot at him this summer. He'd immediately be the heir to the throne, surpassing all of our keepers.

As you noted earlier, there is no evidence to suggest that Bishop's .896 NHL save percentage isn't the norm for him. Also, at 6'7" his 5 hole is as big as a small pony. :) What is it specifically that you like about him?

Edited by jim777

As you noted earlier, there is no evidence to suggest that Bishop's .896 NHL save percentage isn't the norm for him. Also, at 6'7" his 5 hole is as big as a small pony. :) What is it specifically that you like about him?

He's a big kid with chops who seems to be getting better.

I was responding to this quote from your earlier post.

Ok, that's cool. But to be sure the big kid I was refering to is currently leading the league in a few goaltending categories. There's no question he can actually play and play well at the NHL level; the only question is whether he can sustain that level or not and whether he can play a full schedule as the main guy. Bishop hasn't shown the type of chops that keeps you at the NHL level yet. He may have them, but it's a tougher call than with Elliott.

At any rate I think with Lou's comments in the other thread there's zero chance of them moving Parise - he'll either sign a new contract or simply walk away. i wouldn't mind having a right wing like Oshie though :)

Bishop is 2.36 with a .926 sv% in Peoria with 29 Gms, 17W, 12L and 6 shutouts.

Your assessment is based on only 13 games played at the NHL level.

Elliot is 1.69 with .938 sv% in 23 games in St. Louis. 15W, 5L, and 5 shutouts.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/statshome.htm

The point in getting Elliott is that he's shown he can play very well at the NHL level, his salary is low, and at least at the moment he is behind another good young starting goalie. There's no comparison on any of those points with Bishop plain and simple. Bishop may someday turn into an NHL goalie; I'm guessing the Blues will call him up when they trade away either Elliott or Halak, but right now he's a possibly up and coming minor league goalie. Given that we already have a few of those ourselves I wouldn't personally be interested in trading for another.

Halak has never played more that 57 games in a season as a starter. I think if we're shopping for a replacement (and again, this was a theoretical goalie and a right wing proposition) then we should look at the guy who might be able to play 60 games a season going forward over the guy who we know will need a backup for maybe 30+ starts.

Nor did Marty by the time he won his first cup.

Elliot is 1.69 with .938 sv% in 23 games in St. Louis. 15W, 5L, and 5 shutouts.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/statshome.htm

The point in getting Elliott is that he's shown he can play very well at the NHL level, his salary is low, and at least at the moment he is behind another good young starting goalie. There's no comparison on any of those points with Bishop plain and simple. Bishop may someday turn into an NHL goalie; I'm guessing the Blues will call him up when they trade away either Elliott or Halak, but right now he's a possibly up and coming minor league goalie. Given that we already have a few of those ourselves I wouldn't personally be interested in trading for another.

Elliott spent several seasons in Ottawa behind a weak defense(comparable to the Devils) and his numbers were below average. St. Louis has a pretty solid defense which I'm sure has a lot more to do with Elliott's numbers at present. So what I was originally pointing out was that Brian Elliott is definitely not the single contributing factor to his success. As a matter of fact, his play in previous seasons points out the opposite.

It's like Tim Thomas. He was pretty much a sh*t goaltender until Boston started working at getting some good d personnel like Zdeno Chara. That isn't exclusive to his succes though as he also started practicing things like yoga and other regimens to improve his flexibility and play.

I would definitely pass on Elliott.

I'll take halak anytime... This goaltender is amazing... Looks on hwo he perform since hitchcock is in St luis...

Halax has been solid ion the Olympic and most importantly in the playoff with those HABS

The only problem I have with Halak is that you'll probably need to have another goalie to play at least 25 games per season. I've been a fan of his for a few years now, and I expected him to get a pretty big share of the workload in St. Louis so we could see what he would do when the job was finally all his and not shared with Price. But it's still pretty close to a shared 50/50 gig in St. Louis (54% Halak/ 46% Elliott). I guess it comes down to how much cash and cap hit you want to invest in the position.