Who's the new captain?

Unknown Soul

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the next Captain?

• Ilya Kovalchuk
    • Patrik Elias
    • Bryce Salvador
    • other

Whoever gets it, will be our 6th Captain since 2004. (Stevens, Niedermayer, Elias, Langenbrunner, Parise, Kovalchuk)

..miss the 12 years of consistency in #4, the greatest Captain in NHL history imo.

I'm okay with a bunch of As, though I voted for Kovy.

Either way, this is team.

The players who tend to lead will lead the same amount no matter what is sewn on their sweater. DeBoer will choose the guy who tends toward this the most and is the most capable of discussing (arguing) calls with the officials, and won't worry about contract situations or any other BS. Who wears a "C" matters a lot more to us, the fans, than to the professional athletes.

Kovy & Elias are NOT capt material...

Kovalchuk has been a captain of an NHL team before (a bad one, but still) and was captain of the runner up Russian squad at the World Championships. He's also the best and most talented player on this team and showed nothing but captain material in this year's playoff run. IMO if Patty or Marty don't want it, he is the ONLY choice.

Edited by ghdi

I disagree with this. There are actually a lot of teams who take a player vote on who they think should be the captain and get the As.

Oh I think that they view it as an honor, but I think we're kidding ourselves if we thought that, say, abolishing captainships from hockey would leave teams confused. "Which of our teammates can we turn to for leadership????" It just wouldn't happen that way. The voting more lets the players that receive letters know that their teammates do in fact look up to them and listen to them, rather than the reverse, where letters tell players who they should listen to. We know that many players don't allow coaches who they don't like to boss them around (they brood instead), so how could it be any different with captains?

I say either Salvador or Zajac, with Kovy getting it down the road.

The reason I don't want Kovy being captain right now is because I don't agree with many teams' tendency to automatically name their best player captain. To me the C means a little bit more than that, and it goes back to Stevens. That's not to say Scotty wasn't a great player in his own right, but that's not what made him a great captain. The two don't always go hand-in-hand.

Maybe someday Kovy will grow into the captain's role with New Jersey, but not right now. That said, I have absolutely no issue with giving him an A, because he has earned at least that.