After 5 Years and $12 Million Spent...

The Rock 07

Read this earlier today. Shame how much money gets shoved down the rat hole. Just the listing of how much money is spent on "consulting" and $8k was spent on someone (who was politically connected) to research the history of the park is amazing in all the wrong ways. We all know she probably spent at most an hour on doing the research and most of this can be found simply by googling or going to the library or both.

Shame.

haha triangle park. I remember when we thought that was going to open with the arena. haha

lol we have been hoping it would be open by the beginning of each season since the arena opened.

Maybe it has to do with it being a park. Parks dont make money for those in power. But selling alcohol licenses, permits, etc for restaurants and businesses wanting to open around the Rock do.

It has to do with the tenants that are in that old Westinghouse building on the corner of Edison and Rt. 21. That building is holding up all the plans for Triangle Park. Once they buyout the tenants and move them to another location, then we may see the start of Triangle Park. They don't know what they want to do with that old building. Either knock it down or renovate it to another hotel which wouldn't hurt. Right now it is just one big eye sore on that corner.

What's up, longtime lurker first time posting.

About the above, that building's owned by a paper company; can't remember the name (the Westinghouse was demolished).

The Triangle Park footprint doesn't fall on that building so I truly hope that's not what's holding things up.

As much as the official renderings of Triangle Park don't specifically overlie that building, 1. the most recent official renderings have been rather underwhelming and 2. the building sits in a fairly strategic spot with regards to the surrounding developments.

I would like to see Triangle Park have a signature monumental focal piece (preferably a fountain or a statue that are not hockey-related as that would be redundant given Championship Plaza's decor) and the surrounding area be built in the same vein as the Riverbend district in Harrison where there is to be mixed use groundlevel retail and office and residential buildings surrounding the park. In theory even as a non-family area to live (school options in Newark are what prevents middle class families from wanting to live there more than crime or any other single factor) it should be possible to make that area around the park into a major piece of downtown redevelopment given the office population and transportation options nearby.

The other thing that was supposed to be done in previous renderings was the idea of doing a pedestrian bridge across McCarter Highway to Penn Station that led to the foot of Triangle Park which to me is also a key element for the park area. Understanding that many of the things we're talking about here have been on prior drawings and renderings and at this point still haven't gotten done (and probably should have been able to be done for what was already spent on this project thusfar had the funds not been utterly mismanaged), I don't necessarily have high hopes that this will go the way it ought to.

It has to do with the tenants that are in that old Westinghouse building on the corner of Edison and Rt. 21. That building is holding up all the plans for Triangle Park. Once they buyout the tenants and move them to another location, then we may see the start of Triangle Park. They don't know what they want to do with that old building. Either knock it down or renovate it to another hotel which wouldn't hurt. Right now it is just one big eye sore on that corner.

That building is still in use by Iron mountain and they cant be moved.

What's up, longtime lurker first time posting.

About the above, that building's owned by a paper company; can't remember the name (the Westinghouse was demolished).

The Triangle Park footprint doesn't fall on that building so I truly hope that's not what's holding things up.

you are correct triangle park was originally around that building and not i nthe away at all.

heres one rendition where that building still stands with the park around it.

2.jpg

heres the first rendition, notice that building still there.

PruCentertriangle_park.jpg

you are correct triangle park was originally around that building and not i nthe away at all.

heres one rendition where that building still stands with the park around it.

2.jpg

This was the only rendering I really liked and even that one only makes sense if that raised walkway leads to a bridge over McCarter Highway, which in other angles on this rendering it shows it does not. If they made that one adjustment then it would really be a decent park and would promote that area tremendously.

heres the first rendition, notice that building still there.

PruCentertriangle_park.jpg

Ah, Iron Mountain, I had forgot the name.

Agreed. I actually like the bottom one more (even though it's more subtle), it just has a more 'city' feel to it. The other one isn't bad but if they were to use that one then I think it would be more effective if it was built along w/ a convention center, or gathering place (kinda like Champ. Plaza)...but it probably won't happen.

Edited by 66nexus

Outside of the parking lot, nothing is blocking Triangle Park. Its just being poorly mismanaged... can you imagine 12 million for a park when Newark's budget is off by 45 million causing layoffs?!? And if you go over what the expenses were ($8,000 a connected politician's daughter to google the history of parks in newark?!?) you will understand why development suffers in newark and why this city is a money pit that people keep ripping off.

Edited by block921

The whole park thing is just typical of the sort of messes that still sit around the city which have managed to escape the scrutiny that the water utilities have had from the governor. It's not just Newark, it just hurts alot more in Newark because there are fewer resources to be inefficient with.

• 1 month later...

Also with Newark's crime and drug rate... I would say there's a good chance that Newark politicians think that a park is not the greatest idea. It doesn't make them any money... and it's a place for thugs, addicts, and people selling bootleg dvd's to hang out whenever they want.

^I seriously doubt that is the issue.

I disagree, money is obviously being spent on low income housing like wildfire while no movement is made on a zero dollar generating park in a stadium that is about to lose its NBA team with very slim chance of another team coming

I disagree, money is obviously being spent on low income housing like wildfire while no movement is made on a zero dollar generating park in a stadium that is about to lose its NBA team (a failing franchise they only had 2 seasons to begin w/) with very slim chance of another team coming

Whether or not your statement is true is a separate issue. And it really doesn't address the city's wanting to build the park or not. The city needs to beautify the area and they know it, it's the highest 'tourism' spot in the city for the most part (if they'll have a ground-breaking for Vet's Park and riverfront park then they know they need this one). The park wasn't held back b/c they didn't want it, it's being held back b/c they're financially illiterate. While both are bad, they're not the same.

Triangle Park may not be an actual money-producer, but neither was Championship Plaza (minus the recent outdoor cafe). But it takes away the grittiness and aesthetics are nearly as important as $$

PS (I added text to your quote for clarification)

Edited by 66nexus

Outside of the parking lot, nothing is blocking Triangle Park. Its just being poorly managed... can you imagine 12 million for a park when Newark's budget is off by 45 million causing layoffs?!? And if you go over what the expenses were ($8,000 a connected politician's daughter to google the history of parks in newark?!?) you will understand why development suffers in newark and why this city is a money pit that people keep ripping off.

Pretty much what you said here

The park was not just city money and technically was being developed by the NHA not the city which dates back to pre booker and using the NHA to funnel money from the refinancing of the lease of the port and subsequent bond sale. Either way, a bunch of flunkies got a free ride in large part because it was a separate quasi government entity with no public oversight.

• 8 months later...